History Channel's Alone

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris from Chicago, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

If they were allowed to hunt grizzlies, squirrels they might have a chance. There has been zero sign of rabbits, no one has set any snares, fishing isn't working out for any of them in terms of providing a reliable source of food. The scenery is gorgeous, winter is coming judging by the colour of the leaves and it will only get tougher, I wonder if that lake freezes over? it might give them a better shot. Looks like Idaho Clay bags a deer in the next episode, the real fun will be keeping the carcass safe from predators, every grizzly within 30 miles will be after it.

Three weeks into it and the lack of food/proper nutrition is breaking them down one by one. No wonder my ancestors died in their late 30's early 40's and they lived in small villages in Northern Ontario, it was certainly no picnic back in the 1650's to early 1900's.

We love to romanticize living off the land, I don't it's a brutally tough way live without modern technology and damn near impossible doing it alone.

2. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

These people must think very highly of their survival skills not to prepare better for this sort of ordeal. Even the contestants on Survivor know enough to put on excess weight in anticipation of possible starvation. I still think too many come off as just a little koo-koo.

3. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Another thing. Many of the folks who participate on this show seem to shun or at least feel uncomfortable around modern day society so it's surprising they can't seem to hack the solitude after a week or so. I mean, what did they think the title of the show was referring to?

4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The ones that tend to leave early due to not being able to handle the solitude usually have families back home.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  5. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Yeah, I get that but it's not like they don't know it's a temporary situation and almost all of them mention needing the money to better their lives. Too many fold so quickly despite all their talk about how good they are fending for themselves and/or living off the grid.

cleandan and Chris from Chicago like this.
  6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I think they all go on the show thinking they can win, then the reality of the situation kicks in. Some people are cut out for it, others not so much. The two most recent departures were due to lack of food, one contestant basically starving herself to death the other realizing the inevitable that he could not provide for himself and there was no way he was going to last 60-100 days in an environment that was only going to get tougher.

7. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

For however many days this episode encompassed, we were treated to Matt's emotional/psychological unraveling. His conversations and pov were all over the place. I felt bad for Michelle but wasn't surprised since I had my doubts about her from the get-go. Biko seems very level-headed and not prone to loneliness. So far. Is Clay gonna be the one to bag a deer? Nate's revelation of double back surgeries doesn't bode well for him. Wonder who will burn their home down? I would not last two days out there.

unclefred and Chris from Chicago like this.
  8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I wouldn't be too far behind in terms of tapping out. I think my approach would be slightly different from most, setup temporary shelter for the first few days, set fishing nets/lines/traps immediately if possible, if rabbits are available set some snares, stock up on available berries/roots/grubs if an easy hunting opportunity presents itself in the first few days bonus.

I think the reason no one is setting snares this season is due to the local rule against trapping squirrels, that might be it.

9. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I have a weak stomach so I'd be the one puking my guts out. I'm surprised the producers would choose a place that limits what can be hunted considering how few animals they seem to be finding. Watching other shows about wilderness life, getting your protein just from fish or rabbits seems to be limiting as far as dietary fat goes so bagging moose, dear, etc. is prized. And being in bear town, whoever bags one is gonna have a hell of a time keeping predators at bay.

Deuce66 and Chris from Chicago like this.
  10. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

For the local caretakers to keep the squirrel population growing is unusual I think. Squirrels are not a rare animal in BC. It might indicate that there is very little prey to be caught in the Chilcotin area.

One of the participants mentioned lasting 100 days. I don't think that's happening. It's just 21 days and 40% are gone.

11. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Thread Starter

I saw on my Twitter feed that a grizzly bear killed a bicyclist today in Montana. Good thing contestants don't have Twitter. I read that and I'd be out

carrick doone and Borgia like this.
  12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I don't think that would change anything, every year people are killed by predators and not just the human kind.

13. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Thread Starter

Yeah i know. I guess that comment was from my point of view. But these people are knowingly putting themselves in harm's way for the chance of being the last contestant. In past seasons find food and stay warm you have a chance. This season... after what? 4 episodes? All there is to eat is berries and fish. In grizzly bear land. Seems much more dangerous. And I'm guessing this season doesn't go anywhere near 100 days.

carrick doone likes this.
  14. Chris from Chicago

Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out...

It's day 22

Idaho Clay nervously shoots a deer. With a longbow. He will eat well. Now he must make sure he gets to eat it and not a bear. So he builds a smoke house. Suck... is the price you pay to be out there.

Alaskan Colter forages. Plants... man. They provide. First thing in the morning he checks his cranberry patch. Something big was there. So he builds the best fish trap I've ever seen.

Michigan Nate is horrified by his brow and his cheekbones. He catches a fish from his pier. Then lost it. So he built a fishnet. From scratch. And with that net... he catches a minnow. Then washed it down with squirrel poo water. Now he's chucking the poo. Nate taps out.

UK Theresa has clothes that need a washing. And she works on her fireplace. It looks fantastic. With a chimney. Looks warm in there.

Oregon Biko is losing weight. And he studies his rule book. He's lost 50 pounds so far. He's a fisherman who can't catch a fish. Until he does. In honor of his dad he sucks the fish eyes.

Penn Rose knows the cold weather is coming. Time to shore up the cabin using nails she found in planks of wood. Smart. Use every asset.

Every fire that people build here looks like the most picturesque teepee shaped Cub scout fire pile.

It's day 26. 5 people remain

Deuce66, carrick doone and Borgia like this.
  15. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I had a feeling Nate was gonna be a goner when he started focusing on his family and then lost the fish. Fretting about his weight loss and lack of food was more foreshadowing. And the cherry on the sundae - squirrel turds. I'm not going anywhere...no sir. I felt bad for him.
    Clay's emotional reaction to bagging the deer endeared him to me (heh heh). Ironic that the act of providing food doesn't end there. I'm amazed they have the energy to haul the carcass home let alone build a freaking smokehouse. I'd be out cold.

My grandma loved sucking on fish eyes, too. I hate trout.

The first thing I thought when I saw Theresa digging a hole house was how's she gonna handle a fire inside with the smoke situation.

Clay has a good attitude about sticking it out, at least for now. Nate seemed ready to go home and that's a shame because he was good at working on solutions for difficult situations and I thought he'd go far.

16. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

17. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Clay has bought himself some time certainly and if he can keep the bears away he will have good body reserves to outlast the others.

There is some clever editing with Theresa. First she has a fire in the middle of her pit home it appears smoking her out then the next time we see her in the same episode she has a stone fireplace almost completely built. That house is certainly strong enough to sustain her in a 3 little pigs kind of way. We have not seen her hunt for food once. I guess she is sustaining herself on plants like Colter but as Colter is telling us, that is a dangerous strategy going into winter. There is a reason you see pictures of old time hunters with nice fur coats in winter.

Is it too early to predict? Barring falling off a cliff or something like that, I think the final three could be Biko, Clay and Theresa.

18. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Just because he has the extra weight and seemed to have a good attitude, I pegged Biko. Then Clay bagging a deer upped his potential. Theresa is a wild card because of her food situation so I'm doubting she goes the distance. Aside from protein issues, I wonder why no one is concerned about lack of carbs for energy. Previous shows have delved into this.

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Because you don't need carbs for energy, you'll hear contestants on Alone always complaining that they need fat in their diet which usually comes from fish, that's how they sustain themselves along with animal protein and whatever berries/roots/mushrooms (the safe ones) they can gather. You have to work with what's available and good natural sources of carbs appear to be almost non-existent in this environment.

I was surprised to hear about another local rule, no use of gill nets until day 45...as if they don't have enough barriers to gathering food already.

Regarding the show UK Theresa, what is she eating?? does she eat? weight loss situation? Penn Rose I completely forgot about her what has she been doing for three weeks?

and they have to make it to day 100 to claim the $$, it's going to get really rough for all of them

20. Chris from Chicago

I don't know with certainty that this is a 100 day challenge. That may have been unique to last season. As far as i know there's a winner when the second to last contestant either taps out or gets removed for health reasons

Deuce66 likes this.
  21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I looked it up, it's the last person standing who wins the $500K.

22. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

Something I've always wondered, on any season of Alone, when the boat comes across the lake to pick up a tap-out, can't most of the other contestants see or hear the boat? They would instantly know someone was leaving. Maybe the lake is big enough they don't notice or hear it? Perhaps there is enough boat traffic on the lake so they don't instantly know it is production picking up a tap-out? If so, it's something I've never noticed before.
    What do you think?

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I think there's reasonable separation between each camp, also they do come out for medical check ups so you can't assume that someone is tapping out. Chilko Lake is quite long, 65 KM's and there are tourists in the area.

Chris from Chicago and Borgia like this.
  24. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Last week during one of the scenes with the woman who went home-sorry, I can't remember her name-I noticed the sound of a helicopter. It was only for a second and then they cut to something else.

Chris from Chicago and Borgia like this.
  25. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

At this point, I'm not sure the show will go beyond two more weeks. Unless Clay has an emotional breakdown I think, because of the dear, has it in the bag. I think Biko, Coulter and Theresa all seem mentally stable enough but they aren't eating enough.

Why would the show pick a location with so many hunting and fishing restrictions? I get in previous locations not being able to hunt the fox because they're endagered but there were still plenty of options for other food sources.