Hit movies that were followed by a cheap sequel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Jun 3, 2023.

1. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

First movie had a decent budget/talent and was a hit. The sequel is green lit with a lower budget and/or cast. It doesn’t mean the sequel is necessarily bad but little effort/money was put into it.

This is all opinion of course! Cheap can equal budget and/or effort.

I’ll go with 1958’s The Fly and its follow up, Return of the Fly. The sequel was a third of the originals budget and story wise didn’t have much buzz to it. Sadly, the original director Kurt Neumann died shortly after filming The Fly.

2. Spastica

Spastica Run aground on the floor for you....

3. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

The original Planet of the Apes series…each sequel had a smaller budget than the previous movie.

4. Pizza

And they cheaped out on using Charlton Heston in the second one and relegated him to a small role. Such a dumb move.

5. It was Heston’s choice. He actually got a nice pay day (which went to charity) but he didn’t want to be the focus and he insisted his character die. He got paid very well for a what amounted to a supporting role.

He had to be convinced to return by Richard Zanuck. He was reluctant to return at all.

KeninDC, Big Blue, Sean and 8 others like this.
  6. Star Trek: The Motion Picture to Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan. Surprisingly, Star Trek VI had a smaller budget than Star Trek V by 3 million.

Sean, Danny Coffin, mmars982 and 5 others like this.
  7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Grease ====> Grease 2

8. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Meatballs
    Caddyshack

CoachD, Say It Right, Sean and 5 others like this.
  9. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

It really shows in Battle for the Planet of the Apes, where many of the actors playing apes are obviously wearing cheap rubber masks.

psubliminal, wayneklein, Sean and 5 others like this.
  10. SmallDarkCloud

Meatballs 2 was an unrelated movie shot under a different title. It was never intended to be a sequel, until a distribution deal was struck with the agreement that the movie would be retitled as Meatballs 2. Given how low-budget the original was, I wouldn’t be surprised if 2, which uses a few light special effects, may have been more expensive.

Big Blue and fretter like this.
  11. SmallDarkCloud

I’ll stand on a hill and die on my opinion that Grease 2, whatever someone thinks about the movie (I love it), is better directed and has better cinematography than the original.

Lars Medley, Kray and mr. steak like this.
  12. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

One of the better Tarantino-lite movies was SMOKIN' ACES, which featured Jeremy Piven in his best role as the target for multiple assassins closing in on his Lake Tahoe penthouse suite. A very good action film, it didn't do well in theaters but got a second look on cable and DVD. An eventual prequel looking to recycle some of the characters was universally derided for looking like it was shot on the very cheap.

KICK-ASS likewise underperformed at the theaters but did well enough as a DVD/cable discovery to merit a sequel. Watching it, I felt sorry for the actors who had done such a fantastic job in the original having to reprise their roles in such a dumb, lifeless installment. I mean, they had to know.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    Crack To The Egg likes this.
  13. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Holy cow, it's amazing how much less Khan cost ($12M) than the first one ($44M)!

14. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

The Sting 2, starring Jackie Gleason and Mac Davis.
    The Sting, 10 years earlier had a 5.5 million dollar budget. I'd say the cast and script was the big problem.

The Ring 2. The US version with Naomi Watts was simply inept. It had a nice 50 mil budget too. The original was 48.

Say It Right and Danny Coffin like this.
  15. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

But wasn't the sequel more expensive?

unclefred likes this.
  16. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Along those lines....
    How about Son of Kong ?

Granted, its smaller budget might've still been big money for 1933, so it may not qualify.

Crungy, Danny Coffin, finslaw and 2 others like this.
  17. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Yes, a little. So maybe it was cheap effort.

Pizza and Monosterio like this.
  18. Pizza

Son of King was a rush job (released the same year) and no where near the spectacle of KK. Good example on the thread topic.

19. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

But what does that matter when so much else about it is so much worse? The songs in Grease 2, in particular, are not very good. I really want to like Grease 2, but each time I've tried to watch it I haven't even been able to make it through the entire thing. It's just cringe inducing for me.

johnnybrum and 64FALCON like this.
  20. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

So the Fly sequel didn't have much BUZZ to it? Yeah, that's a problem if you're making a movie about a fly... :laugh:

Danny Coffin, nosticker and 64FALCON like this.
  21. SmallDarkCloud

There was a second sequel, Curse of the Fly, with an even lower budget ($90,000 per Wikipedia, which was very small, even for 1965). Oddly, this sequel was a UK production, unlike the first two films, though also distributed by 20th Century Fox.

22. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

23. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Possibly the most successful (in multiple ways) example of this trend?

Danny Coffin, mmars982, Scowl and 2 others like this.
  24. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

This happened to Paul Verhoeven several times:

1. Starship Troopers. Original budget: $105 million. Modest success (mostly on home video), led to a part 2, made for cable TV on a very small budget. Somehow, this led to a direct-to-DVD part 3, which is actually pretty decent, but on a minuscule budget!

2. Hollow Man. Original budget: $95 million. Surprisingly, this was a substantial international hit, earning almost $200 million internationally plus significant video sales. A direct-to-DVD sequel was made, on an undisclosed but clearly very small budget.

3. Basic Instinct. Original budget: $49 million in 1990. A huge international success, it took many years in "development hell" before a sequel was greenlit. Basic Instinct 2 cost around $70 million, which (adjusted for inflation in 2006 dollars) is less than the original. A much less high-profile cast and creative team was used.

4. RoboCop: Although the original RoboCop was made on a modest budget and RoboCop 2 got a significant budgetary upgrade, RoboCop 3 was bumped down again to low-budget status.

Also: not Verhoeven, but Sam Raimi's Darkman was a hit movie in 1990 that received two micro-budget direct-to-video sequels.

25. SmallDarkCloud

That was part of a series of Universal television movies made in the 90s that were (sometimes) sequels to feature films. Four of those were Bandit films, with a new version of Burt Reynolds' character (not played by Burt).