Hitchcock Film By Film Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Actually, IIRC, this thread fizzled out before we even got to the films that Hitchcock is most noted for, specifically the 1950s and early 1960s films.

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Just curious -- not doubting what you say at all! In the '80s, it played in both dual-projector 35mm 3D and single-projector ("over-under") 35mm 3D. Most places ran it in the single-projector version, but there were exceptions. Do you know for sure which version you saw? Were the glasses colored or clear? Where'd you see it?

Well, we were working backwards, and had gotten as far back as Rebecca when things fizzled, so we did manage to cover 37 years of Hitchcock movies -- not bad!

As for Rebecca, I recently saw this in the theatre with my wife and her sister. I had seen it many times and loved it. My wife had not seen it, but loved it. Sister-in-law? I believe her comments were "I wasn't crazy about it." She didn't feel like there was much chemistry between the leads. Can't say that I agree, but different people like different things!

Thanks,
    Matt

benjaminhuf likes this.
  3. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Like you I love Rebecca. Wonderful and moody film.

4. MLutthans

By the way, tonight I get to see Grace Kelly in 3-D. :love:

Matt

5. benjaminhuf

That should be amazing...:cheers:

6. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

So, how was it?

7. MLutthans

Well, it was a mixed bag. I'm thrilled to see that in 2011 there are still theatres willing to do something as daring as to run a dual-projector 3-D film ON FILM in front of an audience, so KUDOS to the staff at the Capitol Theatre in Olympia, WA. There were some little technical glitches, but overall, I give the technical presentation an 8 out of 10 -- excellent for a "one off" thing like this.

Sadly, one stretch wherein the 3-D effect seemed to disappear was toward the close of ACT I, right before the scissor scene, so I didn't get any 3-D thrills from that famous shot, but seeing the movie in 3-d is really a revelation. It's interestingly shot, with lots of things in the foreground, so you get a real sense of depth and immersion within the picture. Oddly, I thought the most effective 3-D shot of the whole night was the one where Wendice sees the rug is slightly ajar and he quickly flattens it. For whatever technical reason, that shot was like I was "right there" in the room with him. Overall, I didn't find the 3-D to be distracting, but rather very, well....subdued and naturalistic. Quite a nice effect! Lots of stuff placed between me and the actors, which really drew me in. Also, I'm not kidding, there were long stretches where I just sat and stared at Grace Kelly in 3-D. In this film, she's made up (in many parts) to look quite plain and regular. In other words, she looks quite NORMAL and "un-prepped." For Grace Kelly, unprepped + 3D = gorgeous. I was sitting quite close and it really was similar to looking at somebody "in the flesh."

I'm very happy to have attended. I was telling my wife today that there's a very good chance I will never again see 3D on film in a theatre, so at least I went out with a bang on a Hitchcock film that I know and love!

Matt

8. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I recall going over to Universal Studios theme park here in Florida way back after it first opened, this had to be back in the early '90s. There was an exhibit called Alfred Hitchcock: The Art of Making Movies (described in Wikipedia as: )
    At the time we went there, they were showing a segment of DIAL M FOR MURDER in 3-D in the theater part of the attraction. It wasn't the whole film, just some excerpts, but it made quite an impression on me.

I also remember a miniaturized set showing the courtyard from REAR WINDOW and a demonstration of the "vertigo-in-the-bell-tower" effect from VERTIGO.

I haven't been back to Universal Studios since then, but I hear it's all different nowadays.

Harry

9. benjaminhuf

Thanks for this review....I don't suppose there's any chance something like this will get a limited release in other selected cities? Even then, I doubt poor old Louisville would get it....

10. Jayce

Jayce Forum Resident

I saw the 3D "Dial M" in Ann Arbor in 1994-95, as part of a double bill with "House of Wax." The difference in the two films' use of 3D was astounding. "House" used it for gimmicks -- like the rubber band/rubber ball racket scene right into our faces.

"Dial M," remember came from a stage play, and it seemed like Hitchcock was trying to turn the audience into another member of the cast; the viewer feels like he/she is sitting on the set among the actors. Of course, there is the rare "razzle dazzle" of the some scenes, such as the scissors scene, in which Grace Kelly seems to be reaching out to the audience to help her. However, I thought Hitchcock used the 3D in a way unlike any other director before or since. I loved it.

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I'm pretty sure they were colored. San Francisco, opening night. Frenzy played first and the theater filled up (you could take your glasses as you walked in). When the movie ended, no one stood up and left. Nervous laughter slowly broke out, as we noticed 200 people waiting in the back of the theater, and maybe 50 of them got a seat.

12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I read an interview where he said he wanted it to very subtle. he didn't want the movie to appear gimmicky. This, of course, made the scissors scene really work well.
    I'm sure he would've gotten grief if he threw in special effects--this had been a successful stage play and people would've groused about him taking too many liberties with the source material.

13. MLutthans

Keep in mind that this was far from a new print, so if it could be procured from Warner Brothers for a screening, anything is possible, I suppose. These days, the bigger question is: Is there a theatre in Louisville that still has two operational 35mm projectors in the booth, and a staff who would know how to run the show?

I understand that there are a few techie nerds on this forum, so I've posted a couple of booth shots (look for tell-tale signs of "projectionist humor"), including a shot of the 1953 technology that allows the projectionist to re-sync the show when a not-quite-100%-accurate splice in one reel affects the sync with the other reel. (Remember, this is two synched projectors, each running a piece of film, i.e., one projector for each "eye" in 3D.) When the show did go out of sync a few times, it was impressive to see how quickly the booth guys adjusted things.

Matt

Attached Files:

14. MLutthans

More for the nerds:

The SMPTE journal snippet from 1954, printed below, describes what I saw when things went out of sync, i.e., objects became watery, like looking at a photo sitting at the bottom of a tray of water with waves on it. Here's the quote:

Not sure what they mean by "J Frame" -- typo? (Vidiot, do you know?)

Matt

15. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Ah, right you are. I had forgotten we were working backwards and we DID cover that era.

Thanks for the review of the 3-D movie at the theater. Shame about the 3-D dropping during the pivotal scene. I'd love to see that movie in 3-D though.

16. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I saw this in Baltimore back in the early 80s in a double feature with a Three Stooges short. I agree that the 3D effect were for the most part subtle and naturalistic and quite a contrast to the Three Stooges. The one stoking exception was the scissors scene where it felt like the scissors were right in front of you.

The subtle scene that's really stuck with me is when someone is in a chair smoking and the smoke slowly drift out towards you.

BTW, the Thee Stooges were door to door cream pie salesmen at a mad scientist's haunted house.

17. MLutthans

Red/Blue glasses, or clear glasses?

18. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I always thought they were polarized, but not red/blue.

19. MLutthans

That would indicate the deluxe, 2-projector system. :)

Matt

20. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I've read this thread from start to finish over 3 or 4 nights.

Great read!

21. HGN2001

This thread sort of died with a 3-D discussion, but that's not what prompts me to re-open it.

I've spread out my Hitchcock watching over the years, every now and then finding one I haven't seen and giving it a whirl, and I'm nearly never disappointed. One that I've not seen, but I think I'm ready for is THE 39 STEPS, and I see that Turner Classic Movies has it scheduled for Sunday evening at 8 PM Eastern (along with a couple of other Hitch films).

My question is for those who may have seen this on TCM. Is their print decent enough? I've only got access to a standard-def TCM. Is it worth trying to record? The film is from 1935, so I can't imagine it would be in pristine shape anyway, so wouldn't this standard-def telecast be decent enough, assuming the print was OK? TCM usually shows better-than-average prints.

Just a stream-of-consciousness kind of question...

Harry

benjaminhuf likes this.
  22. benjaminhuf

Harry: This film was released on blu-ray by Criterion several months ago. Iirc, the original negative has been lost, and so they had to make it work with various prints. They basically were able to get a decent presentation of this very good film, but it's not visually as crisp as Hitchock's later films.

It's a good movie! If you know his later films, such as Saboteur, North by Northwest, etc., you'll notice that 39 Steps provides a template of sorts for that kind of movie. The plot is simple but compelling—a man seems to have committed a crime that he didn't actually do, but everyone (including the police) thinks he's guilty. And so he must find the real criminals involved in order to clear himself, which involves many misadventures as well as a romance.

There's a MacGuffin in this film, just as in NNW.

The movie was made a few years before WWII, and you can sense that approaching if you read between the lines.

Probably worth taping, since the blu-ray costs c. $30!

23. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Man, how did I miss this thread?? :eek:

I've got just about every Hitchcock film on DVD that's officially available... I think the only one I'm missing is Jamaica Inn.

24. HGN2001

I regret that it never picked up to get to THE LADY VANISHES and older.

Harry

25. benjaminhuf

HGN: I think you can feel free to restart the discussion....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.