Hmm. Scott 290 vintage or Quicksilver M80 tube amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fjhuerta, Jul 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

Hmmm...

So, my friend apparently isn't keen on selling me the Scott 290. I suppose he just learned of the value of his amp (doubtful - he had two and already sold one) or he just hasn't the time to fix the amp. :( Apparently, he has too many projects and too little time to completely rebuild the 290.

He offered me another amp, though: the M80 Mono Amplifier by Quicksilver (a pair of monoblocks). I haven't been able to find much info on them, except that it can use KT-88 or KT-90 tubes, and they are 80 watts each. Their retail price was $3,000 when new.

He has offered them to me for the same price he offered the Scott, plus an old HT receiver I no longer use (he's changing all the tubes and checking the Quicksilver out). Is this a good deal? I've never heard anything about Quicksilver...

Thanks for your help!

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I've heard of Quicksilver, I've seen the amps but I have never heard the amps. They're supposed to be good.

Sorry for the lack of information. :(

3. Dflip

Dflip New Member

Don't know about the M80's but a few of the guys on the Klipsch forum have owned M60's and quite liked them. If you post the question over there I am sure you may get a response from some of the people who have actually owned one. A good amp for the money, but do you really need 80W. Your speakers must not be very efficient.

This was one person's quick comment about the M60:

Well, I liked them enough to buy them twice. My son has them now, and we both think they sound great. No negatives -- great EL-34 sound.

4. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

A few months ago I had the Quicksilver KT-88 mono's here for a week to audition. I was amazed with the way they sounded tonally in my system. Sounded very natural and detailed to me and would have made me very happy except that I couldn't get the darn things to image, so I took them back and kept looking. If they would have imaged better they would have been "my" amps for a long time to come because of how impressed I was on how they controlled my speakers.

There may have been something wrong with the units I had, or they may have been improved by the M series.

I vote that, if you can, try them out. If they don't work out then keep looking.

5. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

Thanks for your opinions! I'll take a listen to the amp this Saturday, and I'll be sure to check out the imaging issue.

As for why would I want 80 watts per channel... no idea :) I'll be pairing the amp with a pair of old, very efficient JBL tower speakers (huge, BTW), and I guess the combination will make for a terrific, high impact sound. At least, I hope so... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.