HMV 'Loves Vinyl' Exclusives... UK Stores

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yarvelling, Jun 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Im after Come Taste the band on vinyl so that’s worth a look for , and my copy of Burn is a bit tired and maybe needing a rest after 30 odd years

2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm playing the reissue now and up to Mistreated. It's flawless. I've never heard this LP before, but Burn is one of my favourite Purple tracks. Recommended.

It looks really nice too. A vinyl colour I've never seen before. I'm not a huge fan of coloured vinyl but this one is aesthetically very pleasing!

Bloody hell, some awful synths have just made an unwelcome appearance! It was all going well...

Edit: That's a rubbish closing track! I like the album though.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    OneStepBeyond and Gavaxeman like this.
  3. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I thought all physical HMV stores in the UK were gone. Are there any left in London, Liverpool and Manchester?

I liked the one in London on Oxford Street, as it had a large selection of CDs, LPs and BDs.

4. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

My HMV currently has Lynyrd Skynyrd 'Second Helping' for 9.99 and the Police half speed 'Ghost in the Machine' for 12.99.

5. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

There is a store in Kingston-upon-Thames still.

5th-beatle likes this.
  6. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Did it reopen? It was definitely closed last time I checked...

7. LivingForever

There are still lots of HMV shops left in the UK - the only one I can think of remaking in the London area is in Uxbridge, though.

5th-beatle likes this.
  8. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

I popped in and grabbed Beck - Morning Phase and a Nina Simone LP for £10 each. I don't think I'll be getting involved in the hubbub tomorrow - it's manufactured chaos.

9. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

It was on the first floor in Bentalls Centre but it moved to lower ground. There was no gap between the old one closing and new one opening!

10. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

There's one in the Manchester Arndale, but it's a nightmare for me at the best of times since the vinyl dept's on the 1st floor and I've got bits missing. eBay here I come...

5th-beatle likes this.
  11. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Thanks to you, I just grabbed a copy of this... :cheers:... although it was the one that I fully intended to buy (price being an incentive...)

I had a tough time stopping myself buying at least another DP album!

They have Made In Japan (live double for those who don't know) at £12.99 in my local branch and of course on purple vinyl. I have the original US CD so contented myself that that version sounds fantastic and to be honest, I do like the album a lot but it never was one of theirs that I played all that often. Burn has always been one of my very favourites by them and as I have the CD remaster with the bonus tracks on, I thought it would be good to have it in its original form on LP as I did at first. I'm often funny that way! (I hated the last track when I first heard it too - what a let down! I can tolerate it now possibly as I know it's coming and the rest of the record is so strong but talk about being different for being different's sake!)

I also picked up the Band's Music From Big Pink. There was the B2B going for £20.99 IIRC and the one I bought for £12.99, marked down from £28.99. The covers looked identical (probably as I didn't have my reading glasses to hand) and was heavy in comparison; I imagined the reduced one had either a thick booklet or 'bonus' disc as the CD remaster has a bunch of bonus tracks. This made me curious. So then, I was going by the weight. Pun intended! Happy to discover it was the remix I didn't already have and now because I took the plunge, I also own my first 2LP 45rpm set. But...

...I wonder if that isn't to do with anything other than current instore reductions in the Leicester branch. There are banners up saying the store is closing etc. I asked staff and they say it's do do with the owner they rent the building from and are unsure if they will reopen elsewhere. This came as a big surprise and I hope things will work out for them. So what I'm saying is that this edition of Big Pink may not necessarily be found elsewhere at this price. No harm in looking though.

12. LivingForever

Yes, I know that - but now it’s closed down. Or it was the last time I went there; I appreciate that HMV stores keep springing up from the dead, so that would be nice.

It’s Banquet or nothing in Kingston now!

JP Christian likes this.
  13. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Up early so might as well head to an HMV , let’s see what I can grab

LivingForever likes this.
  14. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

Liverpool store recently relocated to a much smaller site in Liverpool One.

Anno likes this.
  15. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Anyone got a view on prices yet? I see the Elton double is £29.99 on twitter, most stores photos online not showing pride but I assume same as last year? £24,99 for single, £29.99 for double.

Will pop down later. Nothing I’m particular my after, DJ Shadow would be nice as my black vinyl copy has issues, not sure I want to spend £30 though. Will see later.

16. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

You are correct. My wife just called to say the one on LG has closed. The last time I was down there it was open, which I am certain was only a few weeks back.

That's a shame, it always seemed pretty busy to me so thought it would be one that remained open.

LivingForever likes this.
  17. LivingForever

Yep, it is a shame - I can only imagine the rents were just too high?

18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Most items are 23GBP. Combat Rock outrageous at 28, so put it back. Ditto ABBA at 30 quid.

Almost Simon and tin ears like this.
  19. Almost Simon

Thanks

So they’ve dropped slightly, perhaps learnt their lesson from last year. Agreed on clash and ABBA though.

20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Happy to pick up (yet) another copy of Unhalfbricking. Like last year's Liege and Leif, it’s a straight repress of the Black to Black albeit with a new catalogue number. Playing it now and it’s as excellent a pressing as the B2B.

tin ears likes this.
  21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Dropped ? I seem to recall most items around 19.99 last year. Was just saying, there’s no way Sainsbury’s or Tesco would charge these prices. The double of London Calling on coloured vinyl in Tesco was around 18. Many Sainsbury’s exclusives are usually 20 and they often offer deals. HMV just gouge us.

I bet I’ll be able to get that Combat Rock in FNAC later this summer for 15€.

22. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Found a receipt for last year... Juju was £20.99, Road to Hell, Fairport Convention and the Pogues were £19.99 each. Suede was £22.99 and finally the Stereophonics one was £26.99

23. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Exactly. I believed I’d paid 20 for Fairport. So, they’ve gone up across the board. Suede was 23 again this year.

24. Almost Simon

Pretty sure, in fact very confident all the single vinyl in my local store was £24.99 last year, hence the price sticker on my copy of Solid Air (was £24.99 and picked up last week in HMV sale for £9.99.)

I agree its too much, i'm not happy to pay that much, unless they do this more than once a year, quite possible, then it was £24.99.

Also seem to remember Blondie's Parallel Lines was £24.99 too. Red vinyl. Last year or earlier, whenever it was.

25. Almost Simon

Pricing seems all over the place with no real reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.