HMV 'Loves Vinyl' Exclusives... UK Stores

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yarvelling, Jun 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Your local store was dear ! The green vinyl of Solid Air, I distinctly remember was 19.99 !

2. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

I went into the Exeter store. Had a wander around in a sparsely populated store and could not find any of this years releases which i was focusing on (ABBA, Queen, The Clash , The Verve) and this was an hour after they opened. Plenty of Abba - Gold but the Back To Black version but nothing apparent within the vinyl department. The promotional areas were full of discounted vinyl which judging by some of the prices being quoted for this years releases are where the bargains are to be found. So i either completely missed a massive display chock full of fairly desirable vinyl (probable!) or they had sold through which i would doubt as their allocation should be higher this year with the closure of many branches recently.

3. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Hmmmmmmm? differing prices in different stores. Sounds weird. I don't dispute it but its curious.

Anyway, thats last year. I'll pop in later and have a look.

4. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I popped in yesterday as I was passing. Picked up David Sylvian’s Dead Bees On a Cake and Dire Straits ST for £12.99 and SATB Through the Looking Glass for £9.99. I asked about today’s items and they said they had 5 of each (Stevenage branch) I only really wanted Hyena, but figured it would get a black pressing and end up at a tenner like the rest have.

Almost Simon likes this.
  5. Anno

Anno Forum Resident

Hopefully the Warrington store will have something for me on Monday...

6. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Small world. Stevenage is my store.

Mintsauce likes this.
  7. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

There was a lot more vinyl in there than it used to have, probably half again.

Almost Simon likes this.
  8. Phil P

Phil P Forum Resident

Got:
    - Queen - The Works (clear) - £22.99
    - Queen's Greatest Hits (2LP- red) - £29.99

Both in stock in Cheltenham on the display at the end of an aisle, at about 10am - 4 or 5 copies left of each at that time.

9. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

After passing on David Sylvian's Alchemy and ABBA's Ring Ring on a few occasions, I was pleased to get them in this sale for £11.99 and £7.99 respectively. I was tempted with various other releases, but I'm saving for holidays so I'm trying not to go overboard. I think this sale was a step in the right direction as HMV has a tendency to charge almost £30 apiece for new releases these days, which is often higher than independents.

10. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident

HMV Leeds is apparently closing. Everything must go stickers up. I think something to do with the rent. It will be an extremely sad day if it goes, many happy memories there. So that makes my purchase of ABBA Gold all the more poignant as it may be my last purchase there. I was up early so there before opening. A small queue had gathered. A bit of a scrum when entering worried me as I couldn’t see the Abba! People seemed very keen on the Clash title. Anyway I snagged one and saw others on the shelf as I was leaving so hopefully there was not too much disappointment for people.

LivingForever likes this.
  11. snowdog66

snowdog66 Forum Resident

Got the last copy of Combat Rock by The Clash in HMV Blackpool this afternoon, as of 3.30pm they had quite a lot of copies of Abba, The Verve, Black Sabbath left. The only titles they didn't have were the ones by Queen, U2 and R.E.M. this was not surprising as it is fathers day tomorrow. I have to agree with whats been said on here about the prices they were very high, expected to pay about £20 for The Clash but I paid £27.99. I put it back twice but in the end I knew I would regret it if I didn't get it. If anyone is interested I popped in Sainsbury's after and they were doing 2 albums for £25 but not a great selection.

12. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

The blue vinyl version of DJ Shadow's 'Endtroducing' was £29.99. The standard black vinyl edition could be found elsewhere in the store for £20.99.

13. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Hit Telford HMV just before 9, already a decent queue but they had done the smart move of giving a wish list request out to those waiting to fill out , and they had bagged them up ready at the tills so the queue disappeared off to the tills allowing me a clean run at the displays. Plenty of stock, prices definitely UP on last year.
    I as usual spent too much despite leaving stuff behind (rem (amazon had dispatched my preorder that morning) verve (already got) suede (already got twice ) ), pleased I got both the primal screams , fairport convention, both Queen (my originals can take a well deserved rest now) , dusty , yardbirds (nicely done) and best of the lot goes to Siouxsie and the banshees. Also picked up a few from the sale . Nice to see HMV busy , and definitely trying to replicate the RSD vibe

14. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

So not just the Leicester branch! I'm going to see if I can get to mine tomorrow and ask if the staff have been put in the picture yet as to this rent thing because it can't be coincidence. The two branches must have had something of a vague memo regarding it. I'm putting two and two together but not sure what I'm making of it...

jamiesjamies likes this.
  15. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I read that the Llandudno branch closed as the lease expired and the owner leased it to someone else. I believe they are/were looking for another site.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  16. Gavaxeman

Just realised why I didn’t spot any Curtis Mayfield, not released til Monday 17th due to a supplier error

tin ears likes this.
  17. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

That is interesting! It would be so good it they could open elsewhere... like the retail park which is only about 5 minutes walk from the town... what with the next nearest branch being Wrexham, which is the only other in North Wales and as near as 50 miles away. Clearly, I know the area very well. :)

Curiosity likes this.
  18. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Sad news. Really hoping that they will reopen somewhere else in the city. Any news on when the closing date is?

jamiesjamies likes this.
  19. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Couldn't go this working due to work commitments, but my other half kindly headed in for me and managed to get Queen Greatest Hits and Bridge Over Troubled Water - although both quite dear at about £28 ea.

Popped into Solihull later to find the shop closed down, didn't realise it was included in the cull, shame. Missed out on The Works and REM's In Time (would have returned the Amazon delivery had we scored that one), but 2 out of 4 aint bad.

Gavaxeman likes this.
  20. jamiesjamies

I think I heard July 31st mentioned. If it is just a rent issue and not something more sinister then surely it will. Although I do remember when HMV was located next to M&S, my teenage years were spent meeting my friend every Saturday outside the current location. I have often thought to myself that they could dispense with the upper floor. Cut down on the mugs, key rings and tat record players and have one floor of the good stuff. That or keep the first floor and have a coffee shop with live bands playing where the vinyl is now. Surely there is a place for HMV still, even in this era of amazon and streaming. Were you there yesterday?

Man at C&A and OobuJoobu like this.
  21. jamiesjamies

Yes hopefully it’s not more than just a rent issue...

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

A German store also had some of these. For £16 I got "The Unforgettable Fire - 35th Anniversary" limited edition on "Wine Vinyl".

23. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Hope you're right! Even if they move, there's plenty of locations in the city centre sitting empty at the moment.

Didn't go yesterday but I did spend an unexpected and unplanned silly amount of money in there on Thursday, pesky sales!

jamiesjamies likes this.
  24. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Anyone seen the Stones red vinyl? And how much is it going for?

25. Gavaxeman

Had them in Telford £33 I think

Beatlened likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.