HMV 'Loves Vinyl' Exclusives... UK Stores

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yarvelling, Jun 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Some, but not all, of the “exclusives” are also available in Saturn, Media Markt and FNAC in mainland Europe.

Neonbeam likes this.
  2. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Loads in Belfast, managed to get three of them.

I can tell you that they are 32 pounds and that each and every one of the three LPs is flawless ! Perfect silence other than the music.

Curiosity, Carl80 and Beatlened like this.
  3. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I was shocked to see a Skunk Anansie title among these! Thankfully I got it from eBay -- and it wasn't outrageously priced. Maybe they will do the two Skin solo albums!

4. Rick360/12

Rick360/12 Forum Resident

Did someone mention looking for the Siouxsie and the Banshees album and not being able to find it yesterday with mobility issues? Saw a few copies today in Preston if you are still looking. I’m happy to help if you need it, in collecting one?

Man at C&A and Mintsauce like this.
  5. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Went to Banquet for the first time on Record Store Day this year - what a great store, will be definitely returning there in the near future :)

LivingForever likes this.
  6. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

My favourite shop now! I used to think I wasn't cool enough to shop in there, but it turns out I like a lot of the more independent-type stuff they focus on. Plus they now have a hefty selection of classic reissues (probably expanded since HMV shut down...)

JP Christian likes this.
  7. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I miss Volcanic Tongue in Glasgow.

8. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Just grabbed 'A Girl Called Dusty' by Dusty Springfield on blue vinyl, from my local HMV (Wigan). Fantastic!
    Man, I'm showing my age but ain't it great to go into a physical bricks and mortar shop, browse stuff and buy something tangible?
    I'll enjoy it while it lasts, certainly chuffed I got this Dusty Springfield LP though!

9. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I saw this in my Leicester branch the other day... could you tell me if it is mono or stereo? Thanks!

10. When In Rome

The cover and rear both say Hi-Fi Stereo. Can't play it just yet though...

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  11. OneStepBeyond

Ah - I see the Simply Vinyl issue is mono but doesn't state Hi-Fi Stereo on the images for it on Discogs. Probably not mono then (I say probably because there are some of the latest Dylan reissues wrongly stating Stereo on the label...) But I'd be grateful if you could let us know if it IS mono, once you've been able to give it a listen. You never know with these things, sometimes!

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. When In Rome

Okay apologies for the long winded post.
    It is stereo!
    However, more interstingly, please note...
    'Mama said' True Stereo
    'You Don't Own Me' Fake Stereo
    'Do Re Mi' True Stereo
    'When the Lovelight...' Fake Stereo
    'My Colouring Book' Fake Stereo
    'Mockingbird' Fake Stereo
    'Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa' True Stereo
    'Nothing' True Stereo
    'Anyone Who Had A Heart' Fake Stereo
    'Will You Love Me Tomorrow' True Stereo
    'Wishin' And Hopin' True Stereo
    'Don't You Know' True Stereo

Having never owned the original Philips vinyl release I wonder if this is how it was originally presented and these are the true masters and not the alternate remix versions that I've heard were included on the 1997 CD remaster? I need a deeper listen to compare but if true, excellent stuff even with fake stereo!
    Anyhow, the vinyl is a lovely shade of blue, good n heavy with a download code to boot! Consider me one happy punter and I had no idea this was in the latest HMV exclusives, so a lovely surprise!
    And who can't love a bit of Dusty?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  13. OneStepBeyond

Not long winded at all... some of my posts I'm sure have made people go... :eek: :D

The only vinyl copy I've owned of this album was some years ago and it was on the 'Contour' budget reissue label... as I recall, that had a number of fake stereo tracks on. Discogs dates that as from 1974 and I also see that there is also the 1970 'Fontana Special' release. I know some in that series (not specifically DS) were reissues of 60s albums that were now available to buy in stereo - bar a handful of mono and/or fake stereo tracks. I have a New Vaudeville Band LP exactly like this.

What matters is that you are happy with it and that you love what you're hearing! I'd have leapt on it if it were mono but still haven't ruled it out but know I must be quick... I got Dusty in Memphis (stereo as you'd expect) from Fopp in Nottingham the other day - been thinking about it for ages and finally went for it. Classic stuff and a great artist.

When In Rome likes this.
  14. When In Rome

:righton:
    Just downloaded the album from 'The Sound Of Vinyl' website via the download code and it's a WAV download! Expected MP3 - so that's another plus point for this purchase. Fake stereo tracks in lossless quality, what more could one ask? :D
    To be honest, if it hadn't have been a HMV exclusive I may have bided my time also but there were two left in my store and I just thought if I leave it today, I'll be kicking myself if it's gone the next time I visit. Soooo glad I bought it!

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The album is fantastic, one of Dusty's best, but the recording quality is dreadful. I have a Philips mono original. They're quite common.

tin ears and OneStepBeyond like this.
  16. OneStepBeyond

Not audiophile stuff, for sure! I do far prefer 'consistency' with my albums (including compilations as far as is possible) when it comes to the mono/stereo/fake stereo thing. And I'm playing this right now: Dusty Springfield - Complete A And B Sides 1963-1970 and it's fine but there certainly was far better recorded/mixed material in the mid-late sixties and the vast majority of the tracks on this collection is mono, as they were released. It can't diminish the quality of the performances though. and they are far from dreadful, just a little... strident at times. But don't take it that it's the mastering to fault as the compression etc is on the original UK Philips singles I have too.

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

It can't get no worse

Gavaxeman likes this.
  18. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

If HMV team up with the record companies , have more exclusives, ditch all the dvds and ****e, focus on vinyl , CD’s, Box sets , Blu Ray and steel books, they could have a decent run , especially if the website kicks back in with the new reward scheme . There was a queue on Saturday morning before opening , and a mini RSD vibe was going on with folk of all ages. Keep this up and they have a chance

19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I have most of Dusty's 60s Philips records and they are a very mixed bag for sound quality. I wouldn't change them though. Like with 60s Rolling Stones and Kinks, the imperfections give the recordings their unique character. I find that Singles A's & B's CD sounds mostly quite accurate to the original singles. It's a superb double CD.

20. OneStepBeyond

...and so did I. :D

21. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Wolverhampton has lots of the exclusives still In stock today , managed to get the Curtis Mayfield today on very nice yellow vinyl. Quite a decent sale selection too..

22. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

that could well have been me - would still be interested in acquiring one if you are able to help. Thank you.

23. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

Grabbed a blue Dusty this morning.... Not on display, and I'd just about given up, before finding what seemed to be the only copy, filed deep in the 'S' section...

When In Rome and OneStepBeyond like this.
  24. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

A WAV download? Whatever next! :wave:

When In Rome likes this.
  25. OneStepBeyond

My HMV had another 8 copies (yep, I counted 'em!) left on the display at the front of the shop, along with a selection of the other exclusives... I thought only another had got a copy before me and I lead me to thinking that they must have been sending out 10 to each store as I've read online they had 100 shops left open at the last count... which would equal the 'limited to 1,000 copies'. Maybe yours being the last copy, was hidden by someone on purpose so they could nip to an ATM! :D Great to hear others are getting this too though and it's got me to listening to her music much more again now.

johnnybrum and When In Rome like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.