Ho Ho Ho! - Upcoming Holiday / Christmas releases?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nathan Aaron, Aug 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

They are about at the point in their careers (ten years or so removed from any hits) where it seems like the typical thing to do. Maybe next they will do an album of standards.

Lewisboogie, dockofthebay and RSteven like this.
  2. phish

phish Jack Your Body

3. phish

phish Jack Your Body

4. dockofthebay

dockofthebay Forum Resident

I'm honestly really excited for it. I think 2020 owes us this.

5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I got off the Goo Goo Dolls bus when George left the band. I just gave a listen to the two tracks they have up on youtube, and it sounds like it's not the Goo Goo Dolls Christmas album for me, anyway. But I'll check out the rest of it when it comes out.

dockofthebay likes this.
  6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Checked out a copy of this CD from my local library. Unfortunately, it turns out my pessimism was warranted, as spectrographic analysis shows that pretty much the entire album is derived from lossy sources (there's only two songs that look like they might be lossless). This is a huge disappointment. It's common practice for PD labels in the EU to release lossy-sourced CDs with material that probably was harvested off youtube, but Bear Family used to stand for quality and use of master tapes. There's been a few lossy tracks on their recent Christmas comps, but to go almost 100% lossy is just pathetic. Boppin' Bob Jones is rolling over in his grave.

Here's an example to illustrate what I'm talking about. First image is Let It Snow by Jo Stafford, from the 1999 Corinthian Records CD Happy Holidays: I Love The Winter Weather. Note the full frequency range, extending to 22KHz:
    [​IMG]

Next we have the same track from Bear Family's Headin' For The Christmas Ball. Note the abrupt cut-off around 15KHz, indicating the lossy source:
    [​IMG]

7. That is disappointing. I thought the CD sounded a bit thin up top.

czeskleba, Lewisboogie and RSteven like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.