"Hogan's Heroes" actor Larry Hovis dies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by reechie, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow, what a terrible week. Here's one that a lot of folks missed, but I remember Hovis' Sgt. Carter character very fondly.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030910/people_nm/people_hovis_dc_2

'Hogan's Heroes' Actor Larry Hovis Dies at 67
    Wed Sep 10, 6:12 PM ET

HOUSTON (Reuters) - Actor Larry Hovis, who played Sgt. Carter in the 1960s television series "Hogan's Heroes" and later taught drama at Texas State University, has died of cancer at the age of 67, the school said on Wednesday.

Hovis was best known for his work in "Hogan's Heroes," the long-running comedy about World War II soldiers in a German prison camp, but also had a recurring role in the television show "Gomer Pyle, USMC" and was a creator and performer on "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In."

He got into show business early, forming a musical act with his sister at the age of 5, and went on to become a drummer, singer, comedian, writer, game show producer and stage and television actor, the school said.

He joined the university in the central Texas town of San Marcos in 1990 and taught acting and characterization until his death on Tuesday, the school said.

A memorial service was scheduled for Saturday at the school's Theater Center.

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Carter died too? This sucks. Three announcements in one day.

Carter was my favorite character on Hogan's Heros. There was just something about his character I loved.

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Yeah, I saw this in the Boston Herald yesterday. Also appeared often on the syndicated game show "The Liar's Club" way back when.

This has been an awful week, in so many ways, huh?:(

ED:cool:

4. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

You said it. Larry Hovis was really funny as Carter.

5. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

A photo as Sgt. Carter

Attached Files:

6. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Little known fact.....in the first few episodes, everyone refers to Carter as "Andrew".

7. mdp7751

mdp7751 New Member

I just hope Kinch is watching his Ps and Qs.

8. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Just watched Auto Focus last week on dvd. The story of Bob Crane was amazing. Great little movie.

Hard to believe that a comedy about a Concentration Camp could be a hit TV show but that cast was fantastic. They all worked real well together.

9. ratskrad

ratskrad Senior Member

Stalag Luft 13 was a POW camp run by the Luftwaffe. They housed shot down Allied pilots and crew.

10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Haven't seen the film, but it apparently is not historically very accurate. Bob Crane's son had scathing words for it in this review:
    http://www.thestranger.com/2002-10-24/film.html

11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

***I meant to say "POW Prisoner Camp", that is more accurate.

thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.