Hollies "What Goes Around" reissue...who'd have thunk it

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David R. Modny, Feb 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm happy to report that the new Wounded Bird reissue of the Hollies 1983, Graham Nash, reunion, synthesizers-from-hell album "What Goes Around" is indeed mastered from the real master tape, unlike the countless other low-rent, half-assed bootleg vinyl to CD transfers that have popped up.

Apart, from being one of the truly dreadful albums of all time, considering the expectations that I had for it when it originally came out my senior year in high school, there's something I want to comment on about this current reissue - based on my own previous half-started, never completed attempts to transfer this one from vinyl to disc (just for fun).

This current reissue is a something that's a truly rare breed these days. As someone who had the original vinyl sound drumbed into my brain a few months back, this transfer appears to be a good old fashioned, straight, non-normalized, non-re-eq'ed, non- brightened, non-whitened release! The fact that it comes from a label known as Wounded Bird (check out their $1.98 web site at www.woundedbird.com), with no mastering engineer listed, proves that when push comes to shove...a sensible straight transfer will still beat any new-fangled buzzword-based "technology". It's still garbage in garbage out and in this case by NOT creating garbage, we get something refreshingly listenable. I didn't think CD's could even sound like this anymore....down right relaxing. Scary part is...to a generation raised on louder, harder, and brighter is better...they'll probably say something is wrong with this disc!

Don't get me wrong...this recording is the anti-thesis of breath of life. Early-80's synthesized, electronic drums, cheezy production. It's just nice to hear a CD (put out by an unknown label nonetheless) that, for once, doesn't betray the original vinyl for the sake of current mastering trends.

I wish I could say the same for the other discs I bought today...more on those later.

PS - We also get the B side to "Stop In The Name of Love", "Musical Pictures", thrown in for good measure (which was actually a bettter tune than most that were on the album!)

2. Alan T

Alan T Forum Resident

Too bad the Hollies didn't play any instruments on it. I'll just keep my mint promo LP that I picked up at Goodwill for 50 cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.