Hollywood is screwed and the studios are to blame

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by CoryS, May 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

"Insular, arrogant and beholden to technology beyond their control" also describes the major movie studios.

Jes sayin'.

goodiesguy, Gumboo, Grant and 2 others like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I would disagree with you in that when they really spend the money, a top-quality digital screen is capable of looking better than film in many ways. But I completely agree about the interruption of commercials and so on. The so-called "premium" theaters in LA show only 2 trailers and then the movie -- no commercials at all -- and generally you also get a bigger, brighter picture and better sound, and sometimes nicer seats. I'm not a fan of 3D, but I like everything else.

beccabear67 likes this.
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

One could say the same thing of the music and record industry.

It's all of the entertainment/art industries. It's all about the shareholders' dividends. Entertainment companies have gotten too damn big to foster art.

Gumboo likes this.
  4. Grant

I saw one 3D movie last winter. You may remember, it was about climbing Mount Everest or something. Anyway, there were times where things were badly "off", whether it was the colors, the 3D effect, or something else. It wasn't too bad, but I think digital has gotten to the point where such gimmicks aren't really needed.

Vidiot likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I've said for a long time I'm convinced the only reason they even try 3D is as an excuse to charge another $3-$5 for a ticket. It's all about de money. But there are a handful of directors who specifically shoot for 3D and do it pretty well: Jim Cameron went all-out on Avatar, and it paid off huge at the box office ($3 billion).

goodiesguy, seed_drill and Grant like this.
  6. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

And don't forget a gay love story between the Japanese commander/guard and a British prisoner/officer would emerge like in a totally natural and organic way from the storyline ........instant Oscar nomination !

7. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Going to the movies simply has too many negatives attached to it. From the quality of the product to the overall theater experience to the over-inflated cost. It's basically a crap shoot but the odds are heavily stacked AGAINST it being a worthwhile experience. Add to this dismal scenario the reality that so many major artists, creators, and studios are seeing television as the last 'legitimate' outlet. Recent examples are Ron Howard 's Einstein and HBO's upcoming (Sun.!) movie about Bernie Madoff starring DeNiro. At this point going to the movies is more akin to going to a theme park, it's aimed at the same demographic and it's all about the 'ride'.

8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

...and I can only ride the same ride so long!

beccabear67 likes this.
  9. audiomixer

It really are the "reboots" and MARVEL crap that is getting really old.
    Crash, bang, boom. So boring!

Grant likes this.
  10. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

The problem is when an entity like Hulk fights someone like Thor who cannot be killed, it just results in a standoff after lots of bashing around. Nothing is ultimately at stake. That's one reason I think Ang Lee's Hulk is one of the more interesting superhero movies, despite its somewhat not-quite-right special effects. Bruce/Hulk's confusion is right on the surface. The 'comic book panel' visuals are arresting and exciting. And when Hulk rides the plane up to where there's no atmosphere, the realization he needs air like the rest of us. A simple but real vulnerability.

11. Grant

And, it would be protested and boycotted by religious and other right-wing groups until the director edited out the offending parts. Yes, it happens quite a bit.

Home video, and advances in TV technology, have made it attractive to watch at home. Besides, you can pause the player to go to the bathroom or get some more snacks, you can control the volume, and never miss any dialogue.

sunspot42 likes this.
  12. audiomixer

Sorry. No real interest.

Grant likes this.
  13. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

At least they still have humanity's moral compass in hand.

Grant likes this.
  14. Grant

Well, maybe PhilBorder has children, so he's kind of obloiged to watch these movies.

Good point! More of a moral compass than the people who are supposed to run our country, protect us, and teach our kids.

15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Still wouldn't feel obloiged

16. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner.

I've been saying the same thing for years. These aren't "movies" - they're rides.

audiomixer likes this.
  17. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Example ?

I am an atheist, so I don't really follow this stuff.

18. Grant

I don't recall the name right now, but there was a recent movie with a couple of lesbian characters. It was supposedly geared toward children.

Anyway, that's all i'm getting into details on this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.