Holy Crap! - Early Pearl Jam Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OldJohnRobertson, Jul 17, 2017.

1. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less Thread Starter

So I've owned the original US vinyl pressings of Ten and Live on Two Legs for years (bought them new in the 90s) and have obviously known how amazing they sound. I recently acquired near mint original US vinyl pressings of Vs., Vitalogy, and Yield as well because I've been kicking myself in the ass for years for not buying them when I had the opportunity back in the 90s.

That said...WOW. Vs. especially blew me away, but Vitalogy and Yield both sound absolutely amazing. Am I insane? Does anyone else own these? Are you as blown away by the sound of them as I am?

2. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I've got the first five albums on original vinyl and always thought they sounded amazing. I'm still not a fan of the murky sound of Ten, but definitely agree that it wipes the floor with the CD. (I really love the Redux version, even though it is LOUD.)

3. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

No, but I do have the 7-inch single of "Not For You". Quite proud of that.

4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I have originals of Vs. and Vitology, and they sound wonderful. Wish I could find an original Ten at a reasonable price. Wish I had the others...Yield and No Code are my two favorite PJ albums, but I'll have to settle for the reissues.

joshm2286 and OldJohnRobertson like this.
  5. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I bought Yield new on vinyl when it came out. Definitely a gem in my collection!

OldJohnRobertson likes this.
  6. OldJohnRobertson

Mine too. I love Yield. The cover art is fantastic, but it's REALLY fantastic on a vinyl-sized sleeve. Also, the sound of that vinyl...it's like liquid rock 'n' roll just pouring out of your speakers. It's wonderful.

7. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I have originals of vitalogy and no code. I also had yield and binaural but I traded them for a few 90s frank black albums.

OldJohnRobertson and c-eling like this.
  8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Nice trade Kev

Kevin j and OldJohnRobertson like this.
  9. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

One I really wish I'd picked up on vinyl when it came is Riot Act. I think it's one of their best. Interestingly, P.J. fans are very split on RA. In any case, I've been waiting for years for that one to be re-issued on vinyl. Same with the self-title Pearl Jam. One of these days! (I did get the vinyl re-issue No Code, it's great!)

10. OldJohnRobertson

I bought the self titled album when it came out. That record is top shelf.

Peachy and Brian Lux like this.
  11. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I used to have the first three on vinyl. I still have vs but I wish I had the other two... bought them in the 90s. I do still have the original singles (Spin the Black Circle, Not For You, Jeremy...)

12. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

All my Pearl Jam vinyl came out upon its initial release and I agree, sounds great. It's also worth a lot of money. There's nothing wrong with that.

The one mistake I made was I replaced my copy of Ten with a UK import. When I did that, I thought it sounded better than the American pressing. Maybe it does but I should have held onto the US press, too. I didn't.

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

thanks! I got teenager of the year, cult of ray, and the first catholics album.

14. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Excellent, Year has been on my 'keep an eye out' list for years :)

Neonbeam likes this.
  15. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I have the original vinyl editions of the albums up through Yield. Been awhile since I pulled any of them out and gave them a play though.

joshm2286 and c-eling like this.
  16. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

I'll chime in and say I have the first three on original vinyl as well, and all are excellent (especially Vs. and Vitalogy).

Charlie Z. and OldJohnRobertson like this.
  17. bkbk

bkbk Forum Resident

I have original U.S. vinyl copies of Ten, Vs., Vitalogy, Yield and and original EU No Code. I also have Backspacer and Lightning Bolt (both U.S.).

I DROOL over the idea of an original vinyl Binaural as this album has really grown on me over the years and for large parts it might be their best sonic recording.

Musically, my favorites are Vs. and Yield. But Yield sounds thin and congested. In fact, as i've invested more in my system over the years, Yield has gotten worse. It's a real bummer. I'd love to see this album get the royal mastering/pressing treatment.

To me, Ten sounds ok (not better than my CD), but Vs., Vitalogy and No Code are all excellent. And Lightning Bolt sounds terrible. Too much music crammed onto a single LP. Well, that and Brendan O'Brien's heavy handedness, which is getting worse and worse with each album.

The Vault LPs all sound really good.

j3brow likes this.
  18. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

yea vitalogy sounds beautiful....but VS sounds a bit thin to me...lacking fatness or bass.

19. jasonmvt

jasonmvt Forum Resident

Really? "Go" comes out swinging hard on my original US copy of Vs. The vinyl sounds so much more dynamic to me than the CD I grew up with.

Charlie Z. and Laser Red like this.
  20. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

don't know about the cd.
    I just put vs on and yea... It sounds a bit thin/narrow....like the soundstage isnt open enough...and the snare drum and kick drum sound slightly thin or weak.

Might just be my system. It is an original press because I bought it before the reissue came out.

vitalogy sounds beast. don't got an original ten.

21. j3brow

j3brow Forum Resident

I own originals of the entire PJ catalog minus Benaroya Hall. I agree with your assessments. Regarding LB, the Sevens box set is a nice improvement.

bkbk likes this.
  22. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I sold my OG press of Yield because I honestly didn't think it sounded any better than the CD. I doubt they did a separate master, honestly.
    I do think the original three (Ten, Vs, Vitalogy) are a clear improvement over the CDs and the disappointing reissues.

23. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

I have Originals of Vitalogy, No Code, Binaural, Backspacer and Lightning Bolt, also have the deluxe issue of Ten..

Vitalogy, No Code and Binaural are fantastic (especially 'No Code')..

Backspacer and Lightning Bolt sound awful (especially Backspacer)...

The vinyl in the Ten Deluxe is nothing special, I prefer the original CD.... Glad to have 'Unplugged' on DVD (finally) and the Redux vinyl though. :)

24. bkbk

bkbk Forum Resident

Jealous of your Binaural. No code really does sound great. I wish Matt C would learn to play In My Tree the right way, but Jack Irons was one of a kind.

I ripped the audio off the Unplugged DVD and it sounds really good. It's only 16/44.1 or 48 though. I wonder what the original source is from that show. Tape, digital tape, VHS? :) I'd love a PJ Unplugged LP done up with the same eye to quality as the Nirvana Unplugged. Those versions of Black, State of Love and Trust and Porch still send a chill down my spine no matter how many times I hear it.

25. bkbk

bkbk Forum Resident

I'm not into buying records to collect them, but I'm ashamed to admit I have Sevens and have kept it unopened. I tell myself it's cause playing 7" 45s is a pain in the ass, but that's only half the reason. Oh well.

JasonA likes this.