Holy Crap! - Early Pearl Jam Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OldJohnRobertson, Jul 17, 2017.

1. pjpitt89

pjpitt89 Forum Resident

OK, I'm bored so I'll give my 2 cents here.

TEN - I own a EU version of the original press, nothing impressive. On the reissues - the Redux sounds nice but is loud
    VS. - Have the original and reissue. The original sound is fantastic to me, one of my favorites. The reissue can't touch the OG
    VITALOGY - Same as above. The sound on the original isn't as good as Vs. to me, but is still superior to the resissue
    NO CODE - Original is excellent, plays a little soft to my ear tho so needs to be cranked. Reissue is very good, close to being equal in terms of sound IMO
    YIELD - Both sound very good, sometimes I think the reissue is a slight improvement, but that could be because my original is not mint
    BINAURAL - This and Riot Act are tied for best sound on vinyl for me. I have a EU pressing but it really is well done
    RIOT ACT - As said above, this is top 3, possibly best sounding studio album on vinyl from PJ
    PEARL JAM - This suffers from being way to loud. Could be slightly better than CD, but both are so loud it is hard to listen to at times, especially in comparison to other PJ
    BACKSPACER - Probably the worst studio PJ vinyl. Flat, no dynamics, just completely unimpressive
    LIGHTNING BOLT - Slight improvement over Backspacer but still not good. Lot of pressing issues on this one as well, although my copy is fine.
    LIVE ON 2 LEGS - Great sound, great album, quality vinyl release
    LIVE ON 10 LEGS - Not as good as 2 legs, but still sounds good. A little flat overall
    SEVENS - improves on LB vinyl, but not great. My Pendulum track has some skips in the first 30 seconds although the vinyl appears flawless
    VAULTS - All typically have been done very well. One vault (maybe 5?) the guitars are a bit out of whack, Stone's channel is really loud while Mike is not. Otherwise, these sounds great across the board

2. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I still have the original VS. still sealed.

3. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

Side 2 of the original Vitalogy really surprises me. With that stupid mop handle track, it's a little over 30 minutes. It still sounds pretty good, though.

4. bkbk

bkbk Forum Resident

Throw that puppy on the TT and enjoy it!

Dorian75 likes this.
  5. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident

I can't believe no one said thanks for this input. I own EU original pressings of Ten, Vs, Vitalogy and No Code and I think they're quite good, but not great. No Code is the best to my ears.
    I haven't purchased the new reissues of Yield and No Code. I may buy the Yield reissue, since I bought that on CD back in the day.

onm3rcur7 and pjpitt89 like this.
  6. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

7. Spinmeout

Spinmeout Forum Resident

I have an original Vitalogy EU pressing and to ne honest it's nothing special, it's better than the CD but not by much.

I have an original US copy of Ten which is mounted and framed 1200km away and I've never actually laid eyes on it yet, i saw it advertised and got my Mother to pick it up for me and it's been sitting at her house ever since.
    I wasn't sure if it was just a dummy record for display but it's the real deal, i got it for a steal too.

Aftermath likes this.
  8. pjpitt89

pjpitt89 Forum Resident

My pleasure! I just got the Self Titled repress. Awaiting Binaural and Riot Act which are delayed. I have listened to half of ST but will await the other 2 to update my thoughts.

9. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I was looking at an original of Vitalogy but 55 minutes on one lp? Its still good?

OldJohnRobertson likes this.
  10. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less Thread Starter

Buy with confidence.

jazon likes this.
  11. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

12. OldJohnRobertson

Why? Crack it open and enjoy it!

13. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident

I know the original pressing of ten is good but they are expensive now, are any of the reissues worth getting I really want the album on vinyl but not if they are crap, any suggestions would be great thanks

14. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I bought it and was quite satisfied. Thanks.

15. OldJohnRobertson

All the new vinyl pressings are remixes I believe. If that doesn't bother you, then go for it. Personally, I see remixes as revisionist history and am not interested purely on principle.

16. OldJohnRobertson

Glad to hear it!

17. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Can anyone follow up here for those of us still trying to collect original or early PJ vinyl pressings about great sounding Binaural presses that they have in their collection? Was the first US pressing in orange vinyl? And someone mentioned an EU pressing of Binaural? Is that just plain black?

And despite the general consensus (I know some do agree on being fond of it too) I always liked Binaural and found the music really inspired for PJ at the time. Sonically it sounds incredible too; one of their best.

18. pjpitt89

pjpitt89 Forum Resident

I am a huge fan of binaural. I have an original European pressing of this, it is black. All colored copies are bootlegs and I can't speak to their quality. My European press is fantastic, although my wife got it for me years ago off of ebay and it has some light surface noise due to scuffs. I did get the reissue and it sounds quite good as well. Close to my European pressing IMO. I do not know if there is any difference in the original US vs Euro pressing, but both have been highly regarded.

Hope that helps.

pexie likes this.
  19. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Yep! Between these two posts, that's everything I wanted to know!

20. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident

Okay I got 10 with the redux, it is very very very quite. No noise. But just quite sorry that is annoying.

21. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Quite what?

22. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

They aren’t. There is a 2lp edition that contains the remix, but it is not the standard issue.

23. bkbk

bkbk Forum Resident

It’s quiet because it’s a 53 minute album and had to be cut at low levels. Optimal length for a single side on a rock album is probably no more than 20 minutes. This should be reissued (from the original source) on 2xLP. Until then it’s not going to sound that good.

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I can’t remember which albums they are on but a lot of the slow burn ballads like “Off He Goes” and “Nothingman” sound very warm and natural on vinyl. The only gripe I had with early PJ vinyl was that they crammed a lot of music onto single disks. I am sure that impacts the sound quality. No interest in remixes.

25. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I don't have an original vinyl, but I do have a fantastic needle drop and I could not agree more with your comments:righton: