Home Listening System. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Atmospheric, May 23, 2023.

1. Peter HG

Peter HG Forum Resident

Oops--it was the A12 I bought for him. So thumbs up on the A12. In general, at your price point, the best electronics are likely to be Rotel, NAD, or Schiit. Within NAD, I would check C316BCC (old school purist choice) and D3020 (with DAC). With any of these, I recommend buying from a local dealer who will allow you to return easily if you do not like it; or at least someplace like Schiit that has a great audiophile reputation and allows returns with a modest restocking fee.

Atmospheric likes this.
  2. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

This. I’d add a subwoofer though.

jonwoody and timind like this.
  3. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident Thread Starter

For whatever reason, every time I audition KEFs (especially head to head with other comparable speakers), I come away a little underwhelmed. My head tells me that I should be really liking them, but they always seem a little... I dunno... lacking. Strictly a personal taste thing.

jonwoody, jusbe, mattsob1 and 2 others like this.
  4. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

It’s a very sophisticated listening experience. A lot of listeners can’t hang.

:wiggle:

Kidding of course. I honestly haven’t listened to anything Kef outside the LS line.

jonwoody, timind and Atmospheric like this.
  5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

De nada:laugh::tiphat:

6. mattsob1

mattsob1 I enjoy distortion

You're not alone, I agree with you. Never understood the fascination.

Atmospheric likes this.
  7. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

KEF made some great speakers -- about 30 years ago.

fish and jusbe like this.
  8. Atmospheric

Sort of like Denon's overall decline. And Polk.

9. bgiliberti

Denon's top-of-the-line 2-cchannel amps and SACD players are still top-notch. More importantly, they've maintained their traditional balanced sound profile, which the Brits, in particular, love -- as do I. KEF went Hollywood. Good stuff, but not to my taste.

Atmospheric likes this.
  10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

:laugh::laugh:

11. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

Wrong answer. Proper one would be to find a wife who has expensive hobby which requires a dedicated workshop space. This will balance both sides' space and expense requirements.

12. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

I made sure I got the TV and the complete surround system... and a couch. I think I left a dog and a Proton D940 receiver with some Infinity speakers behind.

13. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

100 percent lossless files? Why not get some sort of streamer and active speakers? Super simple, yeah?

14. Atmospheric

I want a bit better fidelity than that.

15. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Sorry, i'm not up on streaming tech (i'm a records and CD person) but why can't you get good fidelity from a good quality streamer and active speakers? It's certainly easy to exceed your stated budget with just those two components, for starters.

timind likes this.
  16. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Yeah...though it is difficult to get proper bass management* and room correction without an AVR, to extrapolate from @rodentdog. My observation is that the speakers/subs make the most difference by a long shot since they are less accurate by orders of magnitude than everything else, so the biggest chunk of money should go towards that. As @goldwax said I'd certainly consider active speakers (the Buchardt A10 Anniversary surely should be wonderful). Unless you want that horn sound like the Klipsch, then back to the AVR. If you go Klipsch, the newer generations have significantly more sophisticated horn designs by Roy Delgado who I once hired to design an automotive horn, he sure knows what he is doing :righton:

rodentdog and Atmospheric like this.
  17. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

18. Atmospheric

19. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

If you are a DIY guy, there are other routes. If you are not a DIY guy and prefer a turn key solution...

Elac Debut Floorstanders. 800/pair...This Andrew Jones design was probably groundbreaking in terms of bang 4 the buck speakers out there when it was released. It would meet your sound signature requirements for speakers and it actually beat out speakers that cost magnitudes more for the EISA award. Me and a couple of fat cats who had burnt endless sums of cash on hifi pursuits sat there with our jaws on the floor when Andrew demo'd these for us some years ago.
    Debut 2.0 F5.2 Floorstanding Speaker

Rythmik L12 subwoofer, 629, still the best bang 4 the buck subwoofer for music listening, as of 2023
    Rythmik L12 - sealed HT sub

Yamaha A-S801 amplifier w/ decent DAC implementation, 599... The designer of above mentioned speakers tends to use Yamaha amps when he designs budget friendly speakers. It should pair well with above mentioned speakers.
    YAMAHA A-S801 2-Ch x 100 Watts Integrated Amplifier w/DAC Silver

Streamer/mini PC, 289 You have all the freedom in the world to tweak yourself into high heaven with a gizmo like this.
    Amazon.com

Sum Total = ~2317 USD

Optional:
    If you want the DAC to go up a notch (i.e. the built-in DAC of the A-S801 didn't cut it),
    Topping E70 Velvet, 450
    TOPPING E70 VELVET AK4499EX Desktop DAC (Digital-to-Analog-Convertor)
    New Total = 2767
    Spend whatever else you can on room treatments.

After this level of fidelity, you could start to get into some serious wallet abusing to get anywhere better.

Clonesteak, mattsob1 and Atmospheric like this.
  20. Atmospheric

That Yamaha amp looks sweet.

Clonesteak likes this.
  21. bgiliberti

Great sounding amp for the price too.

Atmospheric likes this.
  22. Atmospheric

I've had great luck with Yamaha stuff over the years.

23. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I have great luck with Yamaha too. Highly recommended brand for amps.

Atmospheric likes this.
  24. Atmospheric

I auditioned that used KG-4 pair. I was one of the best speakers I heard all day.

So cl ad was placed by a stereo shop. Good, right? I show up during business hours. Boxes are stacked all over the place. He has three very nice systems set up to audition speakers. But no real proper listening environment. Argh. I figure, at least I'll learn something.

We finally settled on James Taylor "Hourglass" as source. I'm very familiar with that record. It's recorded decently well (although perhaps not perfectly wrt to the snare drum on most cuts, as I found out during this audition).

I auditioned:
    • Three different Vandersteens. OK.
    • A couple of Paradigm floor towers. I just loathe Paradigm. They are flat out bad sounding stiff lifeless speakers. I fundamentally mistrust the opinion of anyone who has anything nice to say about them (except for the price).
    • A nice set of Magnepans, which had the second best soundstage (after the Klipsch KG-4s). I liked them better than I thought I would.
    • Last up was the Klipsch KG-4. I was expecting to find this speaker lacking finesse (due to high efficiency) and was fully prepared to be fatigued listening to them. Nope. I thought they were crazy musical.
    So Klipsch-ophiles... are the KG-4s typical of the Klipsch sound, or are they an anomaly? I could see myself being pretty happy with those speakers and maybe the Rotel A12 or NAD C338. Although the reviews of NAD support are brutal and scathing. I should check out that Schiit you mentioned.

I did attempt to try the Bluesound Node. Seriously bad software on the device side. Really, it sounded pretty poor when I was able to get sound out of it.

25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Man of fine tastes:cool:

Atmospheric likes this.