Homeland: New show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

She was listening to Miles Davis on an earlier episode if I recall correctly. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the season finale next Sunday. I hope there are some answers and not a cliffhanger where you have to wait till the next season to find out what's happening.

2. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Me too. It's like 24 without all the guns and killing, like Rubicon.

3. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Exactly!:thumbsup:

4. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

READ Credits
    IF (Producers) CONTAINS "Veena Sud" and (Show)="The Killing"
    THEN PRINT "Not your lucky day, pal..."
    ELSE PRINT "We can safely hope."
    ENDIF

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, it's like 24 without nearly as many go with it leaps of plausibility. But let's not get carried away and call this "like [the late, great, lamented] Rubicon..."

I like how this has progressed. I started semi impressed, and now I'm totally hooked. I think we already have most of the answers regarding who and what (other than who the mole is), but it will be exciting to see how this plays out.

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

We don't know who the mole is and I don't think we know who it was that took out the Arab professor who was on the run with the girl. Didn't we see a POV shot from their car as they watched them leave the farmhouse that has been boobytrapped? Or am I remembering something that didn't happen.

I suppose the mole could be the same person, but it seemed like there were more than one assailant when they were spraying machine gun bullets into the hotel and killed the professor.

7. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

From what I read a few days back, everything will be answered but there will still be a cliffhanger (and Showtime has given the go-ahead to film Season 2).

8. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Well I guess you were wrong, although Mandy Patankin did not get nominated
    They did get 3 nominations:
    Best Actor
    Best Actress
    Best Drama Series

9. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

A nice ending to the first season....I will follow this show in the 2nd season for sure.

10. bw

bw Forum Resident

Best show this fall. Dexter fell short and Boardwalk Empire was a joke. This series had the brains and writing of The Wire, characters you cared about and plot that always had you guessing.

Great show. Can't wait for season 2.

11. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Dexter did indeed fall short. I'm really not digging where they're going with he and Deb (the actors must really hate it because they are no longer a couple), they have two more seasons but now I wish it was just one more. Boardwalk has been ok for me, not as good as the first season but love the sets and costumes.

Now as for Homeland. I really do like this show a lot but am disappointed at the season ending. I really wanted Carrie (sp?) to get a win and be recognized as the dedicated agent she is. I realize that Brody's character is a permanent fixture of the show and I figured he'd take this route out several episodes ago. Now we'll see if she gets her job back somehow or pursues this in the private sector. I'm thinking the show goes 2-3 seasons unless they really pick it up. Many people I talk to who watch the show almost gave up on it because frankly it was pretty boring early on and drug on a bit.

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm surprised. Frankly I don't think the show is that great, though I do think Patinkin is excellent. I think a lot of the nominations are due to connections. It's a good show, but I wouldn't put it in the top five of the year. Isn't Mandy notorious for not being easy to work with? Maybe his reputation prevented him from getting nominated, as the show clearly did get attention from the voters.

13. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Maybe it's not the trailblazing triumph some are claiming it to be, but Homeland is among the few hourlong shows that sustained my interest from beginning to end this year. Claire Danes gave one of the most memorable performances I've seen in recent TV history. Patinkin was brutally consistent and I found myself drawn to his character in every scene. I consider Homeland a bright spot in a relatively uneventful year for television.

14. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Have you seen Breaking Bad :D I know what you mean though. Other than BB, the old shows I really liked weren't as good as last year and this is probably the only new show that I've stuck with and liked (well I'm watching Hell on Wheels but that seems to be a dud imho).

Thankfully this spring all I'll have to watch is Game of Thrones and maybe that new show Luck (pilot looked promising). I guess I'll get more music in haha.

15. Sandeep725

Sandeep725 Forum Resident

Excellent show, but total cop-out on the ending. Malfunctioning vest?? Pfftt...could and should have been so much more powerful.

16. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I agree to a point.I wouldn't call the year uneventful.There was "Treme"& "Game of Thrones"

17. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Yep, I wanted to see the vest blow too and then see what the next season had in place to deal with all the damage.

Agreed that it was a copout.

18. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

Some exciting & suspenful moments and some contrived moments in the series season ender. I'm no expert, but when Walker fired his very high powered sniper rifle and killed the woman standing in front of the V.P.
    That bullet would have surely passed through her and hit the V.P. Although, that was not Walker's plan. Walker taken out of the storyline does futher Brody's infiltration into the government. Still wonder if Brody is just a brainwashed puppet seeking revenge on the death of the children and his young student/friend, or is fully aware of all his actions and converson to Islam?

-Steve D.

19. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

That's the beauty of the term "relatively". As another member pointed out, Breaking Bad was stellar this season--my favorite active show by far.

Treme, in my opinion, would simply boil down a matter of taste. I can't call it an eventful show since I never hear anyone talking about it. Game of Thrones was certainly an event--every time I take a flight I see the George Martin books everywhere. I personally wasn't as enthralled by it as others, but needless to say it certainly deserves status as "eventful".

Other than that, what were some major high points for TV this year? Good Wife? Modern Family? Parks and Rec? I don't watch these shows and can't say with certainty whether they delivered this year.

20. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Breaking Bad. How could I have forgotten Breaking Bad.The best show on tv.

21. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

so, how was Homeland season 1 overall?

22. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I felt comparatively speaking it was very strong. There was a great balance between drama and suspense, and tight performances all around. By no means was it TV perfection, but it entertained which is all you can really ask for. How it will sustain itself beyond Season 2 is anyone's guess.

23. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I was really impressed with this show, and found it to be moving and thought-provoking.

As with any show in this genre, you could nit-pick aspects of the plot, but the writing and acting was so strong that I am willing to buy into the premise of the show.

I thought the way that Carrie foiled the plot, but didn't realize that she had done so, was one of the many brilliant things about the show.

I have to say that I just don't see how they can match or top the first season next year. The notion that Abu Nazir was O.K. with Brody not detonating the vest and is willing to let Brody try to influence U.S. policy as a Congressman doesn't ring true, nor does it ring true that, after having been talked down by his daughter, Brody would continue to be a sleeper agent. So I don't really see how the show can continue, but I'll give it a chance next year. What they did do this year was simply amazing.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm about halfway through the series right now, and while it definitely moves slowly, I liked the realism in the show, along with the performances. To me, this is closer to the way a real government agency would look -- not the glossy, high-tech rooms shown in 24. The agents in Homeland have clunky, off-shelf computers, messy desks, cluttered offices, and crappy chairs. And every character has major flaws, making them very interesting and real to me.

The episode where Brody figures out that Carrie was just sleeping with him to get information out of him really blew me away. All the questions were answered... or were they? I noticed how they kind of hedged on how he sailed through the Lie Detector.

The bitchy teenage daughter in the show irritates me to no end. But I have to say, the fact that a cable show can get me this worked up is a testament to how well it's written, acted, and directed.

25. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I don't want to spoil it for you, although I'm afraid my previous post may have, but one of the key revelations from the episode where they sleep together gets picked up again at very end of the last episode.

That they slept together at all wasn't realistic in so many ways (You don't think a camera in the Langley parking lot picked up Carrie getting into Brody's car? You don't think someone other than Carrie would have been keeping Brody under surveillance at all times?), but, again, from a bigger picture perspective than just "could this actually happen?" the episode where they slept together was tremendously powerful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.