Homeland: New show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Doh, don't tell me nothin'! We still have another few shows to go. The show definitely has very much of a Rubicon feel, only with a lot more emotion (and sex and violence). It took a long time to get going, but I'm thoroughly hooked after that episode where they went out to the lake house. I don't doubt there's many loose ends afoot. I'm looking forward to finding out how the black guy is still alive. The way I interpret the plot so far, Brody has three good reasons to hate the U.S.: the government is using him as a PR boy, his wife betrayed him, and Carrie completely lied and seduced him in order to get information. Even if he hadn't been brainwashed, he's already got enough reasons to want to blow us up. (And I confess to having seen pieces of the show before or after Dexter, including the season-ender.)

Mandy Patankin is such a good actor, I completely forget he's acting! The beard looks goofy, but I figure that's just his character.

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

You ain't seen nothin' yet. :shh:

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

A Rubicon feel, but not as good/realistic/claustrophobic/slow as that show (take your pick).

I like it, and I liked it more as it went along. But I didn't like it as much as Rubicon.

4. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Is Showtime the only way to see this? Is it streaming anywhere or available as a digital download? Thanks.

5. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Why the hell did Rubicon get cancelled? I loved that show. I guess it was too complex for the average viewer and not enough gratuitous sex and violence.

Yep, unfortunately. Now I get to cancel showtime until the fall when Dexter comes back. They just don't have any other good shows now.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The same reason any show gets cancelled: low ratings. Shows much better than Rubicon have been cancelled simply because a mass audience didn't want to watch them.

7. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Showtime is starting with the pilot tonight--I'm in, for now.

8. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

You are in for a treat, the series' last two episodes are outstanding, especially the acting. Claire Danes in the second to last episode, Damian Lewis in the season finale. Incredible performances.

9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Claire Danes is incredible in every episode, in my opinion.

10. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Nice night tonight at the Golden Globes for the show..

11. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

We have only had two shows so far and I am hooked. Maybe a slow burner but looking forward to the outcome.

12. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

yes, it is a slow burner, but the reward comes with getting into it. Well done series

13. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I recently got Showtime just so I could watch this series. I am watching Homeland in On Demand and thoroughly enjoying it. It is the most compelling TV series I've watched since The Wire.

14. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Never got this up here in Canuckville (at least not through Rogers - we have a Canadian version of Showtime that chose to pass on this for some reason) but the rave reviews tempted me enough to blind-buy the BluRay. I did read the episode reviews over at the Onion TV Club so I'm at least a little prepared - it certainly reads like something I'd like. (i.e. the anti-'24', which I really hated) Hopefuly I'll make it through the first season this long weekend.

15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The first twenty-five minutes of the Season 2 premiere are up on Showtime's web site.

16. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Looks like they're making Homeland into more of an "action" show this season, with many chase scenes. I hope they don't go overboard with that (which it looks like they might, from this episode and the previews). These chase scenes always become unrealistic. I liked this show last season, not because it was an action show, but more because it was a good drama with good character development.

17. Marty Milton

I'm not going to prejudge the entire season on one or two episodes. Still my favorite hour of TV.

18. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

I was going nuts trying to remember where I have seen Brody's "handler" before and then it dawned on me she was on the last season of LOST.

She always seemed to be carrying a gun on LOST.
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3422916352/ch0134100

19. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Last season Brody's double agent role teetered on the edge of credibility for me. This season's new twist on that plot point fell off the cliff. Having said that, the scene where his wife confronted him about his faith, and the closing scene with his daughter, were very well done. If you can get past the absurdity of Brody running for vice president while taking commands from a terrorist journalist whom he's never met before, this is still an interesting show.

20. Marty Milton

I don't think we should even be debating whether any of the storyline is absurd. This is an intelligently written intense drama. Sit back and enjoy!

21. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Just finished series one and it's a great series!
    The acting of both leads is fantastic and intense; looking forward to the next episodes!

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I said the same thing. You have a guy who was a prisoner of Al Qaeda for 8 years, gets out, is hailed as a war hero, runs for Congress, gets elected... and a few months later, gets tapped to be the running mate of the VP who's running for President. Mmmm-hmmmm. :shake:

I was kind of blown away to find out on the Emmys that actor Damian Lewis was British! His American accent, attitude, and mannerisms are absolutely perfect; he really deserved the award this year. Brilliant job in the show. He manages to portray his divided loyalties and hidden secrets very well.

One plot question I had to ask: you would think that a high-ranking CIA would have a security camera in his office, and his private safe would have some kind of mechanism that would log the time and date every time it was open. This seemed very, very far-fetched to me.

23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Can't wait to see this when it comes out on disc. Zuleikah Robinson is on it now? Wow, I think she's great. She is a good actress, I've really enjoyed her performances on The Lone Gunmen and The Namesake, et al.

24. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

This comes off tv version of Manchurian Candidate.
    Movie they did some years with Denzel.

25. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Yes, Lewis does a great job of capturing the Doofus American Hero side of his character.

Agreed. Not to mention that the blinds of the office were open while Brody was rifling through the safe. You just have to let some things go when you watch a show like this. As I said above, I just about found it plausible that Brody could have pulled off the double agent act last season, but, after the climax of last season, that he would continue to work for Abu Nasir is just not believable to me. Oh, well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.