Homeland: New show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

In some hollywood movie, I suppose. Well, borscht is not even a russian dish and the thing about vodka is that it's much more a part of the western movies about Russia. And by the way, not a single russian ever toasted by saying "Na Zdorovie". Never. Such toast doesn't even exist.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  2. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Quite incredible follow up. As I wrote earlier there is a russian TV series The Sleepers which is basically our answer to Homeland. The second season just started and it truly impresses by using all the real names including Putin. What's more one of the storylines resembles the Homeland last season's line quite a lot - a corrupt Putin's minister is blackmailed by CIA by the threat of personal sanctions and his assets in the West blocked into betraying Russia and helping with some major islamist attack, probably against the President himself. Keep in mind this is shown in prime time on National Chanel 1.

3. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Homeland Season 7 is about to be released in the US on DVD-only, so folks may want to order the UK import BluRay from Amazon.co.uk now, before everyone else realizes there is no US BluRay coming. It is region free. (Season 6 was region B locked, but Season 7 is region free).

After VAT is deducted and shipping added, it is only about $24 - only a few dollars more than buying the iTunes download.

4. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

This show lost me when Carrie started falling for Peter.

5. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

It's even worse than that. Not only is it DVD-ony, but it's a burn on-demand DVD-R. :realmad:

6. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

The British Blu-ray of Season 7 was released last fall. I bought a copy and watched it months ago.

7. Crave Canada, formerly the Movie Channel, formerly Movie Central has began running promo ads for Season 8 of Homeland. Guess it's starting soon. Appears to be a continuation from last season. Several characters from Season 7 were in the promo ad, including Elizabeth Marvel as President Kane, Linus Roach as David Wellington, White House Chief of Staff and Jake Webber as Brett O'Keefe. Saul appears to still be in jail.

8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i can't seem to nail down when this will actually air. for a long time i saw "late june" but now i'm seeing "sometime in the fall"

9. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Sure it does. Polish people won't drink without a hearty Na, Zdorwie, It means "To Your Health"

10. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

It doesn't in russian language and drinking culture. Russian and polish languages are different. The correct way to toast "to your health" in russian is to say "Za zdorovie", not "Na Zdorovie" yet this toast is never used. We say it in a different way. Usually with a longer toast.

11. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I did wonder about that in the show, saying out loud -- "Why are Russians speaking Polish?". I clearly recall the scene.

12. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Sounds like a promo for Season 7. Did you miss a year? That story line was resolved in S7.

13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The promo adds on Crave were for season 7. It fooled me too. Season 7 is now showing weekly on Crave. Superchannel has the Canadian rights for Homeland when it airs.

Daryl M likes this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

read this morning that season has been pushed back yet again to february.

must be having issues, it was supposed to be this summer, then fall, now winter 2020.

15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Whenever it airs, it's the final season.

16. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

They did have something there for awhile..
    Really went down hill- and how long do these network idiots
    think they can just string their fans/viewers along waiting ?

It was great seeing the actor Rupert Friend who played Peter in the recent Van Gogh movie as Vincent's brother Theo. Rupert was the best part of Homeland.

17. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

last season had enough good bits to it that I enjoyed it. The whole thing with that crazy radio personality was pretty bad, but I enjoyed the part's involving the prez, especially the playing out of the invocation of the 25th amendment. The way that process could play out at some point in real life fascinates me - could be lots of intrigue involved.

18. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

wow, that's ridiculous. will anyone still care then?

rjp likes this.
  19. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

That’s what I’ll buy, pretty sure my Cambridge will play it

20. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

The back of the package indicates that the discs are Region B, but according to the labels on the discs themselves, they're All Region:
    [​IMG]

The disc plays without problems on my multi-region player when it's set to Region A.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Didn't get to the new season episode 1 last night. Will watch today.

Anybody see it and have any thoughts?

ciderglider likes this.
  22. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

After the pathetic disaster that was last season's "Moscow" scenes it's the first season that I'm not eager to watch and I was a big fan. Sadly.

23. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Looks like much of the season will be Carrie struggling with insanity again. Plus lots of flashbacks to her insanity during her imprisonment in Russia. But still it's pretty good and better than 99% of the other crappola on TV. And the ending was a very surprising scene which makes me want to see what comes next. The preview says "question everything". So there could be some interesting twists and turns coming.

ex_mixer, sberger and marmalade166 like this.
  24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Exactly how I feel. I contiue to find it very watchable, with some great acting and lots of tense moments. Not as realistic as it should be, or perhaps was in the earlier seasons? Doesn't bother me at all. As long as it keeps my attention, which so few shows seem to do these days, I'm all in.

And really enjoyed the first episode.

Thomas D likes this.
  25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The show always been a bit (or more) loose with the poetic license. It’s part of the fun. I didn’t find the Moscow scenes any more unrealistic than a number of other key scenes in various locales over the course of the series.

Thomas D and marmalade166 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.