Homeland: New show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

[​IMG]

GentleSenator likes this.
  2. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

dear god

3. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

The last Episode was really pushing the limits of anything remotely believable. Funny how it always happens closer to the end of each season. 2 Agents roaming the afghan countryside without any serious conversation. I mean if there was some good ole 007 passion involved and Petrovsky going rogue it could be more or less believable but she doesn't even ask what's his game and what Moscow wants out of it. He says I don't want any troubles with Taliban yet never minds her calling for special OPs while observing Taliban holdout standing in broad daylight. Etc etc. All said, we're gonna watch the final episode of Homeland and it's rather sad. Gonna miss Carrie.

lschwart and GentleSenator like this.
  4. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I'm no military expert but isn't the helicopter in the preview rather russian looking as are the special OPs?

5. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i couldn't tell if the interaction between the two was intentionally "off" or if it was just bad direction/script. either way, i think anyone who's still watching the show is in for a silly twist of an ending.

6. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Obviously the scriptwriters wanted to resurrect the good ole Carrie/Brody dangerous chemistry but it doesn't work this time. So far. But we have just one episode left so there's not much time to repair anything.

7. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I believe there are 12 episodes this season. So there are 4 left. Looks like the remainder will pretty much focus on Carrie and Yevgeny going after the black box and also on WH politics. There's that new neo-con type advising the president. He seems modeled sort of on John Bolton, on steroids. But he asked that new woman for "kompromat" on the deep staters. Makes me wonder if he is a Russian plant, or maybe just the word "kompromat" has become so common in the U.S. now that such usage is just a red herring.

If Jalal or someone associated with him killed the prez, one has to wonder where he got the info as to the prez's comings and goings. I am thinking it was Yevgeny and the Russians. And that is why he is helping Carrie so much. He wants to get the black box. When Carrie finds it, that's when his true colors will come through.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  8. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Kompromat is just russian word for compromising material. I think it was around forever. I'm glad that there are more episodes coming. Was rather confused how are they going to wrap up the entire series now.

9. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

It didn't think it could get worse, but it has....

L.

rjp and GentleSenator like this.
  10. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

LOVE this season. The twists and turns have been awesome along with them keeping it pretty current. Im curious what Yevgenys side is in all of this. I think that the new president might have something to do with the killing the old one. I do think that new "advisor" has something to do with it as well and I think he might be Russian. Can't wait until Sunday!

windfall, Brenald79 and sberger like this.
  11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Ditto.

Brenald79 and Twinsfan007 like this.
  12. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

carrie pulling a gun on saul made me laugh so much i felt embarrassed for sticking with the show. also, why are they fleshing out characters that will inevitably serve no purpose? i guess i need to ride it out though.

13. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Yes. Bad as it is from my point of view, I'm still curious about where the hell it's all going.

L.

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

it can't get any worse, if carrie pulled a gun on saul in front of all those marine she would have been dead immediately, no questions asked. and then walks away with her back turned.

my my my my my

but, i too will see it out.

vegafleet and GentleSenator like this.
  15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

We're too far into this to quit now. Right to the bitter end where she drives off the cliff.

vegafleet, jlocke08 and GentleSenator like this.
  16. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Yeah, the last episode is beyond 007 levels on total fantasy. There are certain spy game rules which all sides follow. I think the last episode broke 'em all.

GentleSenator, vegafleet and lschwart like this.
  17. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

P.S. My mistake for mistaking the US helicopter for a russian one in the preview. For a moment it looked a bit like an old soviet "crocodile" helicopter. My older brother is an Afghanistan vet, served from 1980 to 1982 but I'm of course a lousy military expert myself.

18. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I agree with you, but on second thought, maybe that is precisely the point of the writers, that she has gone completely off the rails and that is why everybody else is freaking out, beginning with her inaccurate report of the conversation at the fountain.

Now, that she does it (break the rules, not follow orders) is one thing, but why is the Russian agent doing it? He is first shown as evil and cold-blooded and then now seems to also flush his career down the tubes to help Carrie. Is he doing it with official Russian sanction, or is he wildcatting this? If it is the latter, then I agree the show is total fantasy (the handsome Russian agent as Carrie's new white knight). So here is me hoping he is coldly executing a plan, exploiting her weaknesses, to ultimately recruit Carrie or get some intel from her or (again) in exchange for her. I am sure the Russians know she is Saul's weak point.

PS: Is anybody having trouble having the same guy playing the same "Russian agent with a heart of gold" in this show and The Americans? Talk about type-casting. I can't stop thinking it is the same character.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It looks like Carrie will end up on trial for treason, will get off and then reveal herself as a Russian spy. If you listen to the opening titles that's the way they're leading it.

zphage likes this.
  20. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Not only this. US president not having a clue that Max was CIA. No channels of intelligence communication with Moscow (think Syria where both countries are present and there are numerous channels between 2 militaries in order to avoid accidents on the ground) which are long working since Putin offered Bush help in logistics and opened Central Asia airbases after 9/11. Sure the relations went down the toilet since then but there's not a chance for such a 007 renegade story of GRU and CIA agents running around Afghanistan. Not in real world. Plus GRU drawing guns on american special OPs. Avoiding direct confrontation is the first rule of any agent on the ground since the dawn of the Cold War. You may kill the adversary's proxies but that's it. Etc etc. But after the colossal disaster of last seasons "Moscow" episodes all traces of realism are gone.

vegafleet likes this.
  21. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Except nobody's gonna recruit someone in the open, knowing she's under total suspicion on exactly that matter. What's the point?

22. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

That is how you get awards. She has been doing that face from the beginning. She does do it well.

But very seriously now, having somebody in the family with mental issues, you do look for facial cues for when the person is distressed and it does not look that different from that. When you see it in the flesh, it is quite heartbreaking.

23. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Of course you are right on all points, but otherwise we wouldn't have a TV show. Carrie not being shot on the spot when she pulled a gun on the Special Ops guys from the helicopter was great drama but lousy reality.

24. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

True again, specially when the Russians already had her in their hands for many months where presumably they would have gotten anything they could out of her already. Maybe he really is a lovable, adorable, honorable spy (like he was in The Americans). I hope not.

Just noticing your location. Did you get a chance to watch The Americans?

25. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I don't know what's funnier - this or GRU guys sticking around waiting for an american Special OPs to show up.:D

vegafleet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.