Homeland: New show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I think I tried watching the first episode but it didn't click. Maybe not the right mood that evening. Is it a good show?

vegafleet likes this.
  2. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Just for fun. Russian "Carrie" and "Brody" from the 2015 russian remake of Homeland.

[​IMG]

mrjinks and vegafleet like this.
  3. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

If you lived thru the 70's and 80's, it tries to recreate the Cold War atmosphere of the time. Had a lot of good stuff in it, but like many shows, it has to turn into a soap opera to keep piling up seasons. Very good premise and execution for a network show. Not as "big" and action packed as Homeland, more cerebral. At least it was very different from everything else on American TV. Do not read up on spoilers about the end of the series, but the series ending was good. Not that there were not unbelievable moments and lapses in logic and credibility, but overall very worthwhile.

antonkk likes this.
  4. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Thanx! I was born in 1973 so I was just a teen by the end of the Cold War but I always like the spy stuff shot on both sides of the Iron Curtain. Will try this one again)

5. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Let's not forget the way the president makes a major foreign policy reversal after looking at a few seconds of video in a language he doesn't understand....on a cell phone....no questions asked about where it came from, how it was captured, no need to authenticate or translate....

L.

agentalbert, mrjinks, hbbfam and 2 others like this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

How does it compare in quality?

7. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i'm familiar with that actor! i have enjoyed him very much in other shows.

8. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Well, I didn't gave it too much attention back then so I need to rewatch it (especially after Season 8 is over and Homeland hunger kicks in). Vladimir Mashkov is indeed a fabulous actor, who played in several major movies (some Oscar nominated). He can carry even an average material but I really need to rewatch it now. Sadly the show lasted only one (IIRC) season with the plot basically taken from Season 1 (though the creators claimed it was based on israeli original series). The guy returns from captivity in Chechnya, declared a hero and then you know the rest.

Too bad I can't find an english subtitles trailer but since we all know the plot I think you guys can have the picture.

GentleSenator, vegafleet and lschwart like this.
  9. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Can't imagine any REAL president ever doing this. Oh, wait...

Gardo, PHILLYQ, sberger and 1 other person like this.
  10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

excellent.

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

well, last night it got even worse.

carrie, on the run from the US government, calls saul on the telephone, and asks for a million dollars to buy the black box.....and..............wait for it..........he ****ing gives it to her!

then she negotiates (which took all of 5 seconds) to buy it and gets it, and then her russian friend (who she was just about to have sex with) sticks a needle in her neck and leaves with her black box..........

what a show, what a show.

does anyone know when it over?

Humbuster and lschwart like this.
  12. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

It was over in 2012.

misterdecibel and rjp like this.
  13. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

It was really awful. My favorite awful bit was the way Carrie got Jenna to give her the location of the safe house. I couldn't believe what I was watching. That's not even a matter of realism in relation to how things work in embassies and CIA outposts. It's just a matter of character logic. I can live with the palm trees in what's supposed to be Kabul, but stuff like that? I may not make it through the season.

L.

GentleSenator likes this.
  14. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Apologies if this has been discussed previously, but what character is Clare Danes'
    significant other, Hugh Dancy, playing this season?

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

A little pedantic here, but for the sake of reference for someone not familiar with the show, the Americans was exclusively (except for some flashbacks) set in the 80s.

16. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

He plays the new advisor to the president. Hard to recognize him with the beard.

Daryl M likes this.
  17. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Huh? I didn't know there was a connection. Tell me more please?

18. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

the actor, hugh dancy, is married to claire danes.

19. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Oooohhhhhh hahaha i thought I completely missed a whole season or something

20. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Kinda funny that her husband plays a complete *******. And yes, the last episode made 007 screenwriters blush.

GentleSenator likes this.
  21. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

OMG can the russian guy be any more cartoonish? The last line is straight from the 60's Cold War movie.

22. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

And while we're talking Cold War cliches here's a scene of KGB arresting an american diplomat from the cult 1983 soviet spy series "TASS is authorized to declare..."

23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

What do you think of the French tv series The Bureau?

Le Bureau des Légendes (TV Series 2015– ) - IMDb

24. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

25. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

The reason I mentioned TASS is Authorized to Declare earlier is that despite the Cold War cliches the series had a great plot. KGB and CIA residents being best drinking buddies in the middle of Angola proxy war with US and USSR of course supporting different sides (while KGB looks for an american spy in Moscow). Both pretend to be journalists and until the very end of the series and the final showdown both play great psychological games with each other with wonderful dialogues. If only Homeland 8 had the same level of Carrie-Evgeny interaction it would be brilliant.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.