Homo Erraticus – The New Studio Album from Jethro Tull’s Ian Anderson To be released in April 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Nov 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kai

Kai New Member

DVD very good, CD only 1 dB less

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR12 -0.30 dB -13.37 dB 4:21 01-Doggerland
    DR13 -2.10 dB -17.39 dB 1:33 02-Heavy Metals
    DR13 -0.30 dB -14.64 dB 4:12 03-Enter The Uninvited
    DR12 -0.30 dB -14.81 dB 7:12 04-Puer Ferox Adventus
    DR11 -0.30 dB -14.67 dB 3:35 05-Meliora Sequamur
    DR12 -0.30 dB -13.21 dB 3:07 06-The Turnpike Inn
    DR11 -0.30 dB -13.70 dB 3:13 07-The Engineer
    DR12 -0.30 dB -13.89 dB 3:05 08-The Pax Britannica
    DR10 -0.30 dB -12.08 dB 2:50 09-Tripudium Ad Bellum
    DR12 -0.30 dB -15.36 dB 4:29 10-After These Wars
    DR12 -0.30 dB -14.08 dB 2:32 11-New Blood, Old Veins
    DR13 -5.37 dB -20.88 dB 0:37 12-In For A Pound
    DR12 -0.71 dB -14.23 dB 4:06 13-The Browning Of The Green
    DR16 -1.87 dB -23.22 dB 1:35 14-Per Errationes Ad Astra
    DR12 -0.30 dB -14.21 dB 5:30 15-Cold Dead Reckoning
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of tracks: 15
    Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 48000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24

DonnyMe and nbakid2000 like this.
  2. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

3. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

So as far as digital goes, it appears there's a single CD version, a CD + DVD-V version, and the 4-disc deluxe. I'm interested in the CD + DVD-V, but only see it available from the UK and not (yet?) on Amazon for the US. Would the DVD-V be region-specific for Europe, or would it play on my US machines? Thanks!
    https://www.burningshed.com/store/jethrotull/collection/444/add/5513/

4. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I like it better than TAAB2. It's like he re-discovered how to write vocal melodies a bit.

BUT i'm one of those guys who has ocd with names. (Like Union is a Yes album, because it was released as such). Had this been a Jethro Tull album i would have jumped up and down (because of the "one of my favorite bands has made a new album" effect). Jethro Tull has an aura for me. Ian Anderson not so much.

I know i should take the music at face value. And come to think of it that's what i do. I simply do not like it enough on it's own merits. Had the aura of JT been there that would have made me more "forgiving" (for lack of better word").

5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Just listened one time through and find it really good. Much better than TAAB2. The scope, lyrically, is kind of overwhelming, much of it set to a martial beat.
    Standouts after 1 listen: Doggerland, Puer Ferox Adventus, The Pax Britannica, Tripudium Ad Bellum (instrumental that gives listeners a breather) and After These Wars.

6. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

The album is splendid. Listen att the dirty hammond solo in the opening song:

7. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way Thread Starter

I received a signed postcard with the deluxe edition.

[​IMG]

RubenH, nbakid2000 and The Hud like this.
  8. tootull

Most certainly an album that grows on you. Gets better with every listen. Surround sound is fabulous with the swirling keyboards & guitar in the rear channels. Ryan O’Donnell answering back in the rear channels takes on a new dimension. 5.1 is a winner here.

9. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident

10. tootull

The Hud and DonnyMe like this.
  11. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I agree - I am the say way. I read a review on the internet a few days ago and the reviewer said something to the effect that if this was a Tull album, it would be the best one since Broadsword And The Beast. Can't say I disagree with that (although I like the "accessibility" of Dot Com.)

GodShifter likes this.
  12. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Great interview. Ian is honest about his view and the existence of Tull and Martin in particular. Like a 40+ year marriage, things got predictable and routine. Ian and Martin can continue their journey, just separately for now. He keeps the door open about reuniting with Martin again. Ian is just doing his thing with a new supporting cast. He has always surrounded himself with top notch talent, and this band is no exception. I have listened to them and I have seen them perform live and I will say that they are all equal parts of the whole. Tull / Anderson, both work just fine for me. Just because Martin is not playing with him isn't a take away for me. I love Martin's guitar work, especially in Tull. I love John Evens keyboards too. Mick, Clive, Glenn, Barriemore, Jeffery, John were all equally important in all of the variations of Tull. I look forward to receiving my copy of Ian's latest work. Ian / Tull, either way, it's the music that matters most to me.

13. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

It is backordered, but I ordered a copy of the CD/DVD from Best Buy for $15.99.

14. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Thank you sir.

The Hud likes this.
  15. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

It's good, not sure if I like it better than TAAB2 or not, need to listen a few more times. On first listen the instrumental track was my favorite.

16. stonedhenge

stonedhenge Forum Resident

I feel similarly. The instrumental is my favourite. Much of the material sounds a bit "samey" to me. Tull/Ian Anderson have always produced varied albums with much light and shade, but I don't feel that way about this one.

17. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

Is there a view on the vinyl quality?

Thanks
    Gary

Corey Louis likes this.
  18. Bruxe

Bruxe New Member

There I was just doing an internet search for one of the many phrases on the new Ian Anderson album Homo Erraticus ... in Latin ... and I found this very interesting forum. So thought I would sign up and read what people have to say.

First thing is I gather Jethro Tull is now more ... because of the Martin & Ian "branching", but also because as Ian gets honest, he said he just never liked the name Jethro Tull. The "Tull" is a solid name, but it's the Jethro he has a problem with. Well, you never know if Ian is "taking the piss" or what ... but as a fan I've always like the name Jethro Tull, even though I, too, do not like the name Jethro, which is by the way Biblical, and I wonder if the band had not the cool name if I would have felt the same about them all this time? The thing I do notice is that the guitar solos are not really lacking, so that great guitar has not left the "band" with Martin.

Second, the album. Thank goodness for it, and also thank goodness in my opinion that it is the TAAB/Gerald Bostock album that TAAB2 sadly was really not. First, if you notice as you listen - it is the same theme, or two themes throughout, except maybe for the little ditties and "The Engineer" - so that makes it more like Thick As A Brick, and also it is about something, it has a focus, like TAAB was, and TAAB2 did not. Also, the musical themes were very close the TAAB, but oddly it harks a lot back to Jethro Tull Aqualung with its "churchy" theme as well -and hence all that maximus Latinus! Sheesh!

What I find interesting is that Ian keeps making new music that sounds, like Jethro Tull, but also has a fresh new take on music itself, and his style specifically. I really like this album, but about the only criticism I could make, if I had to, would be that the instrumental bits are a bit underdeveloped and kind of ragged, and the vocals are way down in the mix, presumably on purpose to make one really have to listen? I like that Ian finally got someone to help him with vocals and seem to be breaking him in slowly, first on tour, then partially in the studio. Ryan O'Donnell is pretty good.

I really like this album, it is different and sort of more grown up ... no snot running, kissing Willie, rolling yer own, etc. What do others think?

Zeki, Pennywise and murrays like this.
  19. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

The deluxe set is nice. The book is well-done and I like the 5.1 mix. In all, a nice way to represent the album, which is good. Haven't delved into the demos, etc. yet.

20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Hoe do the CDs sound? I can't decide on the vinyl or deluxe set.

21. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

I heard it once all the way through and I'm liking it a lot too. Definitely back to a more 'Tull' sound. Enjoyable songs with some real uplifting, toe-tapping sections as well. But not to the exclusion of some real good grooves from the band. It's a well rounded album (just like a good Tull album).

Can't wait for a free hour or so where I can get into it again, uninterrupted.

22. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

I have heard it about 20 times in the last 4-5 days. I really love every second of it. Puer Ferox Adventus is my favourite.
    I think the CD sounds very good.

23. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

Me too! :)

tootull likes this.
  24. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Me too..

tootull likes this.
  25. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

I thought Jakczyk's surround mix was pretty subtle, more like ambient hall acoustics than the Steven Wilson approach that I've become familiar with, using all his KC & PT 5.1 as an example.

Tom Liebich likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.