Honestly, why would anyone want forty thousand songs in their pocket?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

So when I drive down the road and nothing's on the radio, I can hit RANDOM on my iPod and play 'Name that Tune' until I figure out who I want to listen to. Then I can select an artist and listen to their entire catalog if I want. Having a library's worth of music that you've selected (for whatever reasons) is comforting and I can't complain about what's playing. I still use my old iPod more than I stream music through my iPhone.

2. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes!

Weirwolfe, Purple and dkmonroe like this.
  3. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

I only have 15,000 songs on my iPod, should I buy another couple so I can reach the 40,000 mark? I feel I'm missing out on something now...

4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Rocket in my pocket:)

Fullbug and John B Good like this.
  5. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Because 50,000 songs would be excessive.

6. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I have 14,212 songs on my iPod. There are some I've never listened to. But you never know when I might want to, so you have to keep them close by.

For example, I was at the library the other day doing some work and I had my iPod with me with my earbuds. I wanted something quiet but good to listen to - not too distracting. So I spun the wheel and eventually found this:

http://www.*******.com/uploads/posts/2011-12/1324639027_500back.jpg
    Perfect. I bought it used 3-4 months ago, ripped it to the iPod, and never really listened to it since. But I had it available at the right time and the right place thanks to my trusty iPod. Listened to it for over an hour.

Not the first time this has happened, either. I like having such a large library that is so portable.

7. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

40,000 songs or more would be no problem for me. I've always been a big Top 40 fan and I try to get as many charted singles on my iPod as I can. Many of those I have in multiple versions, so the more space the better. Especially now that the iPod Classic is no longer being made, I need all the space I can get. Don't really have much interest in The Cloud or streaming anything. I prefer a device that I can use anywhere, anytime without having to worry about having an internet connection.

8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Ten years ago, I walked down the street with up to eighty minutes of music in my hand. Now I do it with 11,600 songs in my pocket. I think it's much more than enough, but one get used to it and maybe one day I might end with my entire music collection on a little device, who knows.

pinkchris1967 and Fullbug like this.
  9. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

To me, one of the beauties of the 160 gig ipod is that I can read a thread here on an album I own but haven't listened to in a long time, and on my way wherever two minutes later I can listen to that album without any effort or fuss. I don't have to map out the day's listening like I did in the day of the walkman/discman - I can "go to the shelf" any time during the day.

Did I "value" my music much more when I owned 100 albums instead of however many thousands I have now? Absolutely. But I don't think that that is a function of the ipod. In the past month or so I've gotten 10-12 new albums, including a 6 CD monster box. That was a year's worth of purchases when I was 14, so back then I would wring those albums dry and know every word to every song. Today's 14 year old has so much more at his/her fingertips, so perhaps wringing albums "dry" will never make a come back.

So I guess I see both sides now (though I really don't know the topic ... at all.)

10. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Better than having forty thousand headmen on your trail.

D.B. likes this.
  11. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Not sure how music is devalued. For me it is entertainment. I've spent lots of money on it over the years, and if I have it available on an IPod, then that is great. I actually think my music has MORE value if I can listen to it wherever and whenever I want. For example, if I'm at work and want to listen to the ROUND UP cd from Telarc, I can play it on my ipod. If its sitting at home on my cd shelf, it has no value to me.
    How about some of the 8-12 cd box sets? I can't take all of those to work. If it's loaded on my IPod, it's always available. Of course if I want to do my serious listening, I'll go to my den and pop in the cd.

I see no difference in having 200 songs available versus having 10,000 available. Certainly no downside.

12. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I think the OP has a point about jumping from one thing to the next, but I'm not sure the iPod or other devices are solely to blame. I think it's a combination of all sorts of things. Big box stores, 300+ cable channels, smartphones, Internet - so much available with very little effort. If I'm in the record store and my budget is tight, I can find a dozen things I want. Go in with $100.00 to burn and I can't make a damn decision!

bleachershane likes this.
  13. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Pretty valid point, it's simply the way society is going and the way all media is becoming consumable. Some would go so far as to say CDs started that with the ease of track selection they brought with them. People want what they want, when they want it and in whatever fashion suits them.
    Some days I like to jump around tracks from various albums, some days I like to listen to whole articles.
    Either way, I'm absorbing and appreciating the music.

14. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I enjoy the feel of 40,000 songs in my pocket. 30,000 songs just doesn't measure up. Of course, 50,000 songs really puts that smile on my face.

15. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

I don't see the "issue" that the OP has about having a device with 40,000 songs on it. I have an iPod AND I also have very large CD and vinyl collection... It is not an "either/or" thing. I have and maintain both. I have a choice of listening to a whole album or programming my own playlist. I LOVE that I can listen to an album from my childhood in the car, on a long walk, on a plane ride, or to just wind down a bit in bed before going to sleep. One of the most interesting experiences to do once in a while is to play music with the "song title shuffle" and you get to hear the variety of musical taste you have. All of this is in addition to being able to listen the traditional way. What is unusual about that, especially to people on this forum?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  16. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Which I'm playing right this second as I read this!

17. analogy

analogy Active Member

Exactly, even though I gave some good reasons why vinyl works for me in certain settings, I also have a Spotify subscription (for checking out new albums, mostly) and I have ripped all my CD's to FLAC to play them with my Sonos Connect. But (re)introducing vinyl into all this gave me some sense of rest instead of hopping from and to all the time.

18. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

...for those occasions when 39,999 songs just won't do!... ;)

SixtiesGuy likes this.
  19. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Your own portable radio station, that's why. I haven't bothered to rip that much of my collection to iTunes, but I don't listen to music on the go that much. Most of my files consist of albums purchased though bandcamp, where an instant download comes with the lp/cd/cassette. I have only ever bought a few things that were strictly digital, and I have given up on downloading free live shows (I have enough new physical releases arriving to give me enough to listen to).

Myself, I don't see how these files (mp3, flac or acc) are supposed to last forever. We can't even use computer programs from 10 years ago, I don't put any trust into a fully digital archive of music. Call me a Luddite, I don't mind having hundreds of CDs and lps in my house.

But, for everyone else, it's sheet convenience.

20. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

My 160-gig iPod has 17,235 songs on it, but the point is the same.

I’ve come partial-circle on this. I used to carry a pouch of 40 CD’s in my bag and listen on a Discman. Six or eight years ago my shoulder started bothering me and I decided I needed to lighten my bag and get an iPod. I wasn’t an immediate convert, but after a couple of months I got INTO it.

In the summer of 2013 our computer crashed and I felt a rush of panic. “Oh my god, I’m going to have to adapt to the new iTunes that everyone’s complaining about!” “How can I get the old version back?” “How will I get through the next few weeks without uploading new albums onto my iPod!?!” And at that point, I paused and realized I needed to take a break and wean myself from the computer.

I haven’t re-synced my iPod in 18-months. I listen to my iPod on the go, but if I have a yen to listen to a new album on my way to work I put it in the 4-CD fat-boy jewel case that I keep in my bag along with an old Discman. And that's also been good for ADD listening syndrome; once I start listening to an album on that old warhorse I'm committed... no way am I going pull out my Discman on the subway train for everyone to gawk at!

It’s been a good break because I sit and listen to music at home now rather than tinkering with music on the computer. But it’s also nice having 1,200 albums in my pocket to choose from… just as it’s nice to have a big collection at home.

D.B. likes this.
  21. Miche

Miche Forum Resident

Just in case. Great to have a grand selection. And I also have spotify on my android, just in case I did not bring that particular album/song.
    I travel a lot so carry a lot of music files in my pocket is way better than packing 30-40 CDs and then be forced to buy more CDs in every town I visit :) just because I forgot to pack the Jancek CDs. We are living in the 2oth century and it does have its benefits as well and enhanced convenience for music lovers.

22. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

For me it is for when I am out and about, washing dishes or falling asleep. I can be in different moods when driving, or waiting at clinics. I no longer have my stereo on all night to listen to music for those 5 minutes before I fall asleep. I use a nano when I walk in the warmer months and having to reload it every couple of days gets annoying.

It does not detract because when I do sit down and listen the better sound brings me right in.

JeffMo and Miche like this.
  23. Twodawgzz

Twodawgzz But why do you ask such questions...

For variety?

ARK, Ghostworld and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  24. drmaynard

drmaynard Well-Known Member

I agree with the OP: anything that makes music more convenient devalues music. That is why I wheel around a Victrola with me, playing the same LP over and over again.

25. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

....because it's 40,000 songs in your pocket. The question kind of answers itself, doesn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.