Honestly, why would anyone want forty thousand songs in their pocket?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jlbrach

Jlbrach Forum Resident

why does anyone need access to all that netflix or hulu etc provide?....silly question ,I personally had thousands of CD's and listen to music constantly and love the access to anything I want to sample or listen to...

averica, Comet01 and Spencer R like this.
  2. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

What's an iPod?

3. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I generally cannot listen to music either at work (cannot stream, and am not allowed to put outside disks into computers), or commuting (that's by choice, need to listen to traffic reports). I never walk around listening to music, something about being aware of what's going around me. With a son, nowadays I only really can listen to music later in the evening or sometimes on the weekends.

The one thing I have found the 40000 songs in your pocket to be good for, is when traveling on a plane somewhere, either nearby or overseas (takes up very little space). It's especially nice when you are in a place where you don't speak the native language, are by yourself, and want to stay in.

Hootsmon and dadonred like this.
  4. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

Today, I wanted to listen to "Pet Hate - The Bride Wore red" (Heavy Metal Records from 198..something) And it was available on Spotify!!
    Sounded like a vinyl rip, loved it anyway, and it was instantly available! To those not familiar with this groundbreaking album, I could not recommend it more.
    Useless post above, please disregard. Still can't answer why anybody wants X tracks via phone etc. Just realize anything you do from now now on will be publicly available, unless you choose to live buried beneath a stone.

5. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

On the other hand, I like digging in record stores. I'd allocate time for that in a heartbeat.

6. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Which is why I did it 3 to 5 CDs at a time. Even with the thousands of CDs in this house, it didn't take that long to amass an enormous digital library that needs minimal effort to back up and which I can do whatever I want with wherever I am. It's not for you, we get it. But it is for some of us.

7. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I get that too. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to do that. I'm just making the point there are valid reasons for not doing it.

Tim 2 likes this.
  8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I enjoy it as well but it's time management these days.

troggy likes this.
  9. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Apple produced it as a device to store music digitally for playback mostly through earphones, but for other uses as I said such as into the sound system of a car, or for that matter other sound systems. It's smaller and lighter than most phones.

10. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Or even 40.

vince likes this.
  11. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma

find yourself an old Ipod Classic and you have those 40,000 on one device:D

Comet01 likes this.
  12. cdnostalgia

cdnostalgia Forum Resident

I think people who thinks it streaming vs cds are missing the point.

I listen to music on streaming services, often allowing me to listening to bands I wouldn't necessarily care enough to buy their music but would happily listen. My CD collection is a carefully curated collection of music I care enough to buy, sometimes second hand sometimes new, that I really enjoy listening to. It's physical and I can hold the CDs in my hand, read the liner notes; that doesn't mean I'll never listen to a song on spotify. I grew up as CDs were starting to be replaced by Spotify so I've always had to live with both; I've never been able to give up CDs entirely and don't think I ever will. Many people I know have, happy with digital collections of CDs they've now sold and/or spotify with millions of songs at their fingertips; and occasionally that is useful for me. I listen to music on spotify, I collect CDs. That's the difference.

JeffMo likes this.
  13. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Oh I have one of those... and I upgraded it with two 128GB SD cards!

In all fairness, for the last year I've used it less and less, preferring to carry less music on my phone, and for a good few months I was trialling Spotify and Deezer (and definitely enjoyed them for ease of listening to new music legally!)

14. micktanner

micktanner Forum Resident

Because if I happen to need them they are there. If not, no harm...no foul!

DML71 likes this.
  15. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

IMO having access to 40,000 songs (even 10,000) is like having access to 40,000 meals; I'm never going to eat every meal, nor do I want to, because I would never have time for my favorites … and looking through all the choices to decide is a colossal waste of time.

16. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

This is precisely why we still have stinky guys at every record show in America to this day.

17. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Shuffle Mode is your friend.

Tord and DML71 like this.
  18. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Absolutely nothing stopping you from enjoying the music like you did in 1969. There's nothing actually to miss. For others, they'll consume the music the way we want as well now that there are more options. Not seeing the problem.

19. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Aside from iPods (mine broke), which portable mp3 players have the largest storage space?

20. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

Why do we have libraries in every major city and town in the civilised world?

So that people have access to the books they want to read.

Same reason to have a lot of music on a portable.

Tord, rodentdog, BeatleJWOL and 2 others like this.
  21. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

Many players these days work off Micro SD cards, and I'm reasonable sure some will accept 128Gb or 256Gb cards. Some will take two cards.

You can get credit-card sized holders which will take 8 SD cards, so potentially you could carry the player and have a total of 9 cards available, hardly noticing the extra 8 cards were there.

If you still have the iPod, why not fix it?

22. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Thanks. I wasn’t able to fix it myself. No idea if someone else could do it.

23. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

What were the symptoms of failure? Is it an iPod Classic, and do you still have it?

24. Dave Gilmour's Cat

I created a thread about it here a while back:
    iPod emptied itself. Help!
    I still have it but think it’s corrupted in some way.

25. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Because it’s lossless quality and if I want to hear something on a whim, it’s there. Plus when I’m driving alone in my car I like shuffle. I rediscover music and it’s fun. Plus my car doesn’t have a CD player.

to each their own though.

Comet01 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.