Horror for kids!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Derek Slazenger, Oct 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Yeah, I liked Gremlins when I was 11 or 12 but for my kids, it's off limits for now. The character literally says quote "that's how I found out there was no Santa Claus." I'd prefer my kids not find out that way, in a tongue-in-cheek horror type movie in the context of a girl's father dying and rotting in a chimney.

I saw Poltergeist around that age in the theater with my parents. It was utterly terrifying and I would never show it to my kids until they were older. Every now and then I hear tough guys on the net claim that the film isn't scary, but if Poltergeist isn't scary, then no movie is scary. At least for kids under 12.

I think The Simpsons had a theory that Casper was the ghost of Richie Rich... Lisa believed that RR's realization of “how hollow the pursuit of money really is” caused Richie to take his own life. I'll never think of Casper the same way again!

bostonscoots and mynameistaken like this.
  2. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Michael Jackson's Ghosts

SRC and Wildest cat from montana like this.
  3. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Do ya' think this 1963 Boris Karloff classic..."Black Sabbath" is appropriate for your friend's kid's? I saw it in the theater at around the age of 6 0r 8.
    Here's the original trailer for it...

Others made right around the same time I saw at that age were...
    "Die, Monster, Die"
    "Planet Of The Vampires".

I was terrified out of my gourd when I saw all three of these and I'm still fairly well adjusted at 61.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Don't underestimate kids' ability to accept being scared.
    Being scared by a movie is fun no matter the age.
    When my kids were still quite young we made some popcorn , turned all the lights off and put on one of the Friday the 130th movies , you know , the ones with pizza-face Freddie Kruger.
    I can't remember which one it was but there was a dream sequence where some young children are skipping rope while saying : " One , two..Freddie's coming for you". I looked over at my youngest daughter and she was jammed right up next to her Mom just shaking with fear.
    When the movie was over she wanted to watch it again.

There's a good clip too on YouTube where a young family is watching ' Star Wars ' and the daughter is caught right up in the scene where Darth Vader is telling Luke he is his father. The girl can't believe it and she keeps saying ; " No .No. It's the Dark Side.".

5. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

Carpenter's "The Fog".

Pinknik and Isaac K. like this.
  6. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Child of Glass (if you can find it) is a good kids haunted house/ghost story by Disney

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  7. Jerk The Handle

Speaking of Disney, Return to Oz (1985) is their production. It's fantastic like its prequel but contains nightmarish elements.

This is funny though:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    AppleCorp3 and Unknown Delight like this.
  8. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Well, if you scare em a little, put on the classic[The Wolfman-1941] sleep tight kiddies, hehehehehe!!!

9. Unknown Delight

Unknown Delight Alan Myers Jazz Heads Unite!

Excellent choice!

Disney's 'Return To Oz' ( 1985 ) is another gem suitable for family viewing around Halloween.
    Plenty of spooky, strange , and mildly unsettling moments.
    The Wheelers shown above, along with Princess Mombi and the Knome King are all wonderfully deranged elements.

The sequence near the beginning of the film where Dorothy is sent to stay with a 'Doctor of alternative treatments' in a spooky medical 'hospital' is also slightly unsettling.
    The climax of the film, when Dorothy faces the evil Knome King is also a spooky highlight.
    Might be a little intense for young children, but there is plenty of humour and likeable characters present.

This film is a good one and worth seeing.

-

Jerk The Handle likes this.
  10. Jerk The Handle

Or Island of Lost Souls (1932)...

11. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

12. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Saturday the 14th

13. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

My 11 year old daughter HATES horror, however she loves the following:

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken
    Beetlejuice
    Coraline
    Carnival of Souls
    House on Haunted Hill (original)
    Mad Monster Party
    The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T
    Creature From The Black Lagoon
    Ghostbusters
    Gargoyles
    Killer Klowns from Outer Space (use your discretion on this one)

14. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Tim S likes this.
  15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

How 'bout "FREAKED", the weirdo comedy by Alex Winter!

16. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Yet some parents will allow their young children to watch 'Pinocchio ' which is actually a terrifying film.
    Kidnapping , imprisonment , boys turning into donkeys , characters being swallowed by a whale , a talking cricket. A talking cricket !
    But it's alright ; it's a Disney movie!

17. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Trying to think back on what I watched. The Universal monsters, but I imagine those might be a little “old” for kids these days. I used to love a Warner Brothers cartoon special that had the Hansel & Gretel story and the Charlie Brown special. Being different, I got into monster makeup and Fangoria, so I escalated pretty quick into the occasional heavier fair.

Maybe the original Ghost Busters would be a good starting point or perhaps Monster Squad. Oddly, I never saw Monster Squad until many years after its release. A shame, as I assume I would have liked it at the time it came out as well.

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

When Good Ghouls Go Bad
    [​IMG]
    highly recommended!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.