Horror movies of 2023

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ghoulsurgery, Feb 18, 2023.

1. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost Thread Starter

There’s a good amount of us here that like horror in all its different forms so I figured I’d make a thread to discuss the new stuff as it comes out. Also so I can refer back to it and remember what I want to watch. What have you seen so far? What are you looking forward to?
    So far I’ve seen:
    Skinamarink
    Infinity Pool
    Knock at the Cabin

I’ve seen trailers for these and I’m planning to check them out:
    Bunker
    Enys Men
    Scream VI
    Beau is Afraid

RickH, The Cat 3 and Bruce Racket like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

really looking forward to your comments...better you than me.
    : )

3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Not sure if Beau Is Afraid will be a horror movie or anything like Hereditary/Midsommar.

4. ghoulsurgery

I’m not sure either. The trailer seemed like it had some tense and creepy parts but also a fair amount of fantasy sequences. I’m curious what it’ll end up being like. I wasn’t a big fan of his other movies so I might like this better if he tries something different

MikaelaArsenault and noname74 like this.
  5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Few have captured my interest, but I am curious about Infinity Pool.

6. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I'm not sure what to think about Skinamarink. Generally, I'm all for experimental film making, and this one is definitely an avant-garde film. But I found it more monotonous than challenging or thought-provoking. I might have felt differently if it had been shorter. 100 minutes of this movie is asking the viewer for a great deal of patience.

7. ghoulsurgery

I get that. It’s definitely not going to be for everyone. I think I was the only one in the theater I went to that liked it. But I really loved it. I like when anything can approximate the feeling of a dream or a nightmare. I like the way it tells the story through hints and suggestions and leaves a lot open to interpretation. I loved how it refused to meet anyone halfway and explain anything. It really made me feel like a kid, afraid of the dark and not sure what’s real and what’s a nightmare again

8. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

I liked it. Mia Goth was great. The ending is a bit of a letdown, but it’s an interesting ride.

9. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I loved his two movies. Blown away actually. What did you think of the three movies you said you saw in your first post?

10. ghoulsurgery

I posted some thoughts on Skinamarink in the thread but the short version is that I loved it. It felt like watching a nightmare. Infinity Pool was pretty excellent as well. I expected a little more body horror since the director has the last name Cronenberg but that’s on me, not the film. I gotta see his other movies now. Knock at the Cabin was good, not great. I mostly enjoyed Bautista’s performance and the fact that it was filmed near me.

Pizza likes this.
  11. ghoulsurgery

Anyone else excited for Bunker next weekend? I keep seeing trailers and I hope it’s cool. When I was in high school and college, there was a local group that would rent theaters and show double features of old horror movies with old, weird trailers in between. This feels like a trailer I’d see at one of those events

Bruce Racket and unclefred like this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks! this looks pretty good!

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  13. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

I know nothing of the films other than Scream VI, which I must admit that the last one could have had Craven's name on it and I would be fooled. However, if the other films are anything like the ones from last year then there are sure to be some gems.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  14. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

That makes me feel that I've seen it a few times before. movies like
    The Bunker (2001) Nazis in this one.
    Deathwatch (2002)
    outpost (2008)
    Frankenstein's Army (2013)
    The Devil's Rock (2011)

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  15. ghoulsurgery

I kinda thought it might be a rerelease of an older movie when I first saw the trailer

unclefred likes this.
  16. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Brandon is David's son so it's not an unreasonable assumption. His last film Possessor was excellent.

I'm really intrigued about Skinamarink, I'd never heard of it until reading this thread.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  17. ghoulsurgery

I saw Bunker yesterday. It was decent. Not amazing. It got the look/sound/vibe of an old war movie, which was cool. The plot was scattered and not super fulfilling, though. It felt like a movie I’d see at a late night double feature. But like, the extra movie. Not the one I’d go specifically to see.

Trailers I saw:
    Renfield
    Evil Dead Rise

Renfield could be good? I can’t tell if it might skew too silly. I like Nicholas Hoult a lot, so I’ll probably give it a shot. Evil Dead Rise should be cool. I’m excited to see an Evil Dead movie in a city apartment building

18. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Stephen King's The Boogeyman and Children of the Corn are coming out and I'm sure I'll be seeing them sometime this year. Probably when I can rent them on DVD.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  19. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

The Boogeyman is an entertaining short story of King's that shows Richard Matheson's influence, but it is short. I don't know how it could be expanded to a feature film, unless the screenwriter tossed it aside and created a new story (which, reportedly, is what happened).

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  20. ghoulsurgery

It can’t be any stranger than what they did with The Lawnmower Man :laugh:

Bruce Racket and SmallDarkCloud like this.
  21. ghoulsurgery

Finally got to see Enys Men! It’s a weird one! Lots to unpack, and I wish I saw it with someone else so we could talk it over afterwards. Instead I just read reviews. Next up: Evil Dead Rise on Tuesday

22. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

Based on these quotes, I'm guessing you mean Exhumed Films? They're still going strong, just no longer in the NJ locations of old. They do a lot at PhilaMOCA, The Colonial Theater in Phoenixville (where they shot The Blob) and a drive-in up in the Lehigh Valley. I went a double feature in February where they showed CHUD and a 3-D 1980s slasher Silent Madness.

The Boogeyman was not originally slated for a theatrical release but supposedly tested so strongly that the studio shifted the strategy. It probably doesn't also hurt that Sophie Thatcher is the lead, and her star is on the rise with Yellowjackets and Book of Boba Fett.

I saw Renfield the other night. I laughed a few times but it lacks true horror - lots of fast cuts during the gore scenes and too much scenery chewing to create tension. Not to say it's a bad film, but it's not something I'd suggest rushing out to the theater for. Cage is fine as a lighter Dracula and they do a quick montage at the top placing the two leads in the Tod Browning classic. Hoult is good as well but it's a typical rom-com type of role.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  23. ghoulsurgery

I knew Exhumed was doing events in the city but it’s been a little while since I checked up on them. Is the drive-in theater the Mahoning? I know a bunch of people that go to those double features, had no idea that was run by Exhumed! I’m at PhilaMoca pretty regularly (or at least I was before COVID hit, been meaning to get back to it) and didn’t realize Exhumed did anything there. I love that spot. The old theaters in NJ (especially the one in Pitman) had a charm that really won me over, and I missed that when they moved over to International House years ago. The Phoenixville theater brings that back, it’s just a little farther than I’d like to travel these days. Also, my wife doesn’t like horror and my friends that do all have kids now so it’s tougher to get a crew together to go. I don’t mind going by myself to the theater around the corner from my house for new movies but the drive out to phoenixville (or Mahoning) on my own isn’t fun for me. Ah well. I’m really glad Exhumed is going strong. Those guys are great.

I had no idea Sophie Thatcher was the lead in The Boogeyman. That will definitely help get the movie attention. Last time I saw the trailer was before I started watching Yellowjackets so I didn’t recognize her. Love her in that show

Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
  24. ghoulsurgery

25. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

Exhumed is at Mahoning, and that's them at PhilaMoca. I enjoyed the NJ shows - I went to the iHouse several few times when they were there, but at the time I worked in the city and it had to be a really special show to drag me back there on the weekend, and eventually I stopped going. But Phoenixville is real convenient from here - it's easy to park, eat dinner and see a film or two. They also show genre films without Exhumed - we saw the Stephen King triple feature on Super Bowl Sunday (the Creepshow print was beat up, though), and they brought the organ up from under the stage for a few songs before Phantom of the Paradise.

ghoulsurgery likes this.