‘House of Cards’ Resumes Production, With Diane Lane and Greg Kinnear

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Feb 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I thought she was going to kill him like the wife did in the UK version.

Chris DeVoe and mdm08033 like this.
  2. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i'd take that. but then again i just don't care. the series has been terrible for years now. pity.

3. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

The show should have ended after Season 2. It's all been downhill from there.

hbbfam likes this.
  4. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Who says she didn't? :shrug:

dmiller458 likes this.
  5. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

Streams Friday

6. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

This show has so many candidates for the “jump the shark” episode I’ve lost count.

7. I felt the previous season did jump the shark. It traveled into areas of absurdity. I always, however, enjoy Kevin Spacey's and Robin Wright's performances even if the former and did some really nasty things.

8. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Should have ended after Season 2 - Frank knocks on the desk and cut to black. Seasons 1-2 is probably the best television I've seen in quite some time.

9. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

This takes the cake for me...

905 and Ghostworld like this.
  10. dmiller458

I always thought it would end similar to the UK series with her arranging his murder. Then with her turning to camera and sayimg "You might think that..."

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The British series had the courage to last no longer than it needed to.

Pete Puma and Shak Cohen like this.
  12. Robin Wright's character was every bit as awful and inhuman. Just a repugnant character, in every way. And about to get far worse.

Scott222C, 905 and Vidiot like this.
  13. That was certainly one of the worst of the most recent seasons. Equally as ridiculous was the bizarre 3-way with the Secret Service guy. You just know that Spacey got that written in there so he could play a little.

Osato likes this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

But a lot of fun to watch.

sberger likes this.
  15. That would describe most of the series. I've still enjoyed it, but I agree that it could have been better if they went for a more subtle approach on some of the events.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Eh, what the hell. At least it's not boring.

BluesOvertookMe and sberger like this.
  17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

True. However, for Netflix this isn't just any old show, it's the show that put them on the map as a content creator and so I'm sure that they are more protective of it then they would be of other series. Which, of course, doesn't mean that the show is way past its prime...

GentleSenator likes this.
  18. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Sure, but it is a lot like dating - the stink of desperation can turn even the most attractive repulsive.

19. Ah I was referring to real life. Yes, Wright's character came off as a lizard brain person.

20. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Hey, at least he wasn't 14. Spacey was trying dammit!

Tokyo Ghost and wayneklein like this.
  21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

So, 4 eps in so far and I find it disappointing. It's been rather tedious and underwhelming. Claire's to-camera Frank-style comments don't really work (although in the 1st eps or so, the device had some promise). Everything just feels so lifeless and by-the-numbers.

There was a slight glimmer of interest at the end of ep4, so hopefully the back 4 eps might be an improvement...

22. dmiller458

There were so many things wrong with that final season, it's difficult to know where to start.

So often when a character doesn't work, is it the fault of the actor's approach to that character or are they playing the role as written with their director's guidance? Claire's icy persona worked when Wright had Spacey as a foil for balance. With Claire as the central character, not so much...

Frank was ruthless in his lust for power, but there was always a method to his madness and we got glimpses into his humanity. The flashbacks to Claire's youth weren't enough to flesh out the character IMO.

I think they needed an epilogue to show what happened once she crushed her opposition. The Russians backing down, having the baby, her conspirators on trial, visiting Annette in prison, campaigning for re-election, etc.

23. I think that Claire needs a character like Francis to balance her out. I wasn't sure how successful this would be when it was announced. Francis had a more dynamic emotional range to play with even when he was manipulating someone. Claire is all lizard brain and that doesn't make a character you love to hate quite as much.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That was awful. Is that the third person he's murdered? Give me a break.

Osato likes this.
  25. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

It was semi-believable when he was just a random congresscritter from South Carolina in the earlier seasons (Gary Condit and all that), but the idea that the President could wack the sitting Secretary of State in the White House by pushing her down three carpeted steps is just insane.

905 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.