House Of The Dragon Season One

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by leemelone, Aug 21, 2022.

1. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just finished watching the premier. It has all the familiar characteristics of Game of Thrones and should appeal to the original fan base. A very solid beginning to the series IMO.

2. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Will catch this later tonight or tomorrow.
    Question - is the material officially from the author or are the HBO writers making this up ?

3. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

Based on the Fire & Blood book by GRRM, released in 2018 much to the chargrin of those waiting for other things from him.

4. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

I’m glad you got in. Seems Got has crashed. I’m unable to see it. I’m in nyc btw

5. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Watching it right now on HBO, looks good, but it’s gonna take some work on my part to get a handle on all the people.

StillFlying likes this.
  6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Just as I suspected...as serious as cancer...

7. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Reading Fire & Blood helps but it isn't crucial. Emphasize solid start. As episode one got rolling, it became more and more compelling. Being a G0T fan, I am absolutely hooked.

Judge Judy likes this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my wife and i enjoyed this. I was expecting less...looking forward to the entire season...so far so good. : )

audiomixer and maui jim like this.
  9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Martin is lucky he was still writing his own Westeros saga when the series was playing catch-up/pass-by...whatever this series does, it can't fail, the finale of GoT having sucked so much air out of the room. It still has that smell of agrarian life and dragon fire in its' atmosphere, with none of the stain of the previous series on it.

I don't hold as much faith in Amazon's foray into Middle-Earth, with so many Tolkkies having amassed a legion of ammo against Rings Of Power before it even crawls out of the Shire. They've been waiting to dump on it sight unseen almost since before The Age Of Man began. And Tolkien isn't alive to defend himself.

Bulsara likes this.
  10. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Hm, after watching the first episode, I am wondering why I did like GoT in the first place?

Can't say I enjoyed the unnecessary violence and gore in this episode or the actors performances.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
    rswitzer and thegage like this.
  11. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I enjoyed it. It got quite intense and a twist I didn't expect (I've never read the books)

12. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

Solid start I’m in ………

audiomixer and GregM like this.
  13. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Yeah, felt like a GOT try hard ticking off boxes. Excessive gore? Check. Nudity and simulated sex? Check. Convoluted plot? Check. Worth watching episode two? Nope.

JohnK

14. ajax25

ajax25 Forum Resident

We became invested in the characters of the Starks based on the writing and their portrayal by the actors. Don’t know if I see that here yet.

15. glide

glide Forum Resident

Understanding the geography and background of the families involved, while providing enough distance from the events of GOT, certainly made this an easy episode to enjoy. If the story arc is already hammered out and the directing can keep up, HBO may have a successful reboot of sorts.

I’m in…for now.

GregM likes this.
  16. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

The first episode was a total slog. Thus far I care about none of these characters. The Dragons are boring. The violence is rote. The acting is apparent.

"The Rains of Castamere" can't fall soon enough on these dullards.

PapaMuerte and gabacabriel like this.
  17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Haven't read this book yet, but really, really enjoyed this. Even the worst Doctor (Who) couldn't ruin it.

18. RichardG

RichardG Forum Resident

I watched it "live" here in the UK at 2/3am and LOVED it.

It definitely benefited from a slower pace and it felt like the early series of GoT. Yes it ticked some boxes (boinking/gratuitous violence), but the first episode of GOT started with some multiple beheadings and incest, so I'd say it's in keeping.

Might watch it again tonight to get my head around the characters and families. I'm out of GoT practice

GregM likes this.
  19. mds

mds Forum Resident

Excellent. The first fifteen minutes I was not sure, but the pace and the plotting soon began. I thought the violence portion was more graphic that GoT, particularly the on foot sword and battle axe competition portion. It made no sense why they would be splitting open their heads just for show, however it certainly brought the pace up. The birth scene was very intense and the outcome brought out all the behind scene plotting and conniving that we will watch evolve over the season. For a first episode that introduces so many characters I felt it was done well. I can't wait for next Sunday and then ones to follow. Any show this complex usually takes at least three episodes for me to begin to understand enough for me to latch onto some characters that I will root for and to fully understand where the story came from and what the real conflicts are that will need resolving.

20. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

Liked Game Of Thrones (never read the books) but thought this was pretty dire - mainly the dialogue, even at its worst I don’t remember dialogue this bad in GoT. Everything so arch and stilted. Won’t be tuning in for ep2

fairaintfair likes this.
  21. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I noticed the dialog at the start was unnatural but there was clearly a focus on enunciation and slowing down speech when an important person or place was mentioned so that we'd catch it. Even the explanatory titles were highlighted to show the important parts (173 years.........before Danerys).
    It did take me out of the immersion of the show early on, but I can see how it was a good idea, and this reduced as the show went on.

22. Michael

yes, my wife loved it so I'll be watching it with her...

23. Michael

Indeed...little by little...I've been able to follow so far...

24. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I really liked it.

The music sounds almost identical.

audiomixer and Michael like this.
  25. Michael

Indeed...love the new vocal version (of the original opening theme song) at the end credits...

Pete Puma likes this.