Houston Record Stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Cokelike-, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

I hope you will write some more store reviews in the near future.

2. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

well, Vinal Edge was awful for me but Black Dog was worth the trip. now I know. People hate to hear bad reviews of record stores, as evidenced by my Cinci review that got deleted. I guess people on here think every store must be reviewed nicely, as if every store was GREAT!! Well, lets just say I will never go back to Vinal Edge. The store owner was nice enough though. Worst store I have been to on my multi state spring tour, which I now have a HUGE stack of vinyl from. Denver, St Louis, New Jersey, Lexington, Asheville, Houston, and others I cant remember right now.

3. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

There is also a place up in Klein (a suburb of Houston) called Music Town... small, but a nice selection of used vinyl.

4. Col Kepper

Unfortunately for me, they moved further away for me to easily get to.

5. Col Kepper

Black Dog has since moved. They are now a half mile outside the loop on the SW side.

6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I was there in August, and thought it was pretty lame. When I went to look at a spare copy of an album stored underneath the racks, they were waaaay too uptight about it. Cactus certainly has a lot more to browse through, that's for sure.

Tensilversaxes likes this.
  7. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Really? Actually I worked at VE for 5 years 13 years ago and know the owner quite well. He is a super nice guy. I'm guessing if you liked Black Dog and not VE you are pretty much a classic rock buyer. VE does have some of that but it's not what keeps it afloat, whereas Black Dog is almost exclusively classic rock with a smattering of blues and jazz and NOTHING from the last 20 years. Also, as with most vinyl shops now, it's the luck of the draw. Good used stuff doesn't stay long in the bin, lots of these places are hit up weekly and even daily by local vinyl fiends so scoring the killer stuff is just a matter of "right place, right time".

If there were two things I'd do to improve VE it's separate the new and used vinyl and create a new arrivals bin. Every store I've been in that I've loved shopping has done this. Waterloo in Austin recently merged their used with the new vinyl and I hate it. I'm not going to dig through all that just to see what used is out there, but to be fair once it's spent 2 weeks in the new arrivals bin it's probably not worth having anyway. VE actually has a new arrivals bin for the rock but it's in the very back of the store and well...I couldn't care less about old rock records anyway.

8. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Nobody has mentioned Sig's Lagoon. Cool place but not large. Cactus is way overpriced.

9. Just thought I would add an update, since it's been awhile... Vinal Edge used to be the best place to get interesting things, but since their move to the Heights, I don't think I've bought a single thing from there. Now, I only get over there about once every 2-3 months, but either they have less interesting stuff coming in at the new location or the increased traffic means more people are buying the records you want! I also think their prices are getting silly ("80's reissue of Buffalo Springfield's "Again" for $20?), but much the same can be said for Cactus and all of the Half Price Books stores, too.

Probably the best places for price and condition are now Sound Exchange and Black Dog Records...

FYI - like Sig's Lagoon, but it is also way overpriced, especially since most of their stuff is not in very good shape.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.