How Bad can ones stereo equipment be.....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by allied333, Sep 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Er.... May be you should read everything and be unbiased instead of taking sides so easily.

In case you missed it. It seems people who buy McIntosh can't be considered audiophiles, they only buy Macs because some bright blue colours and they have more money than sense.
    In fact the general idea sounded like anyone who buys expensive equipment only do so to show off.

The whole thing was overblown into an argument at an unnecessary level but nobody was a saint here.

2. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I've been here from the beginning and read all the posts, thanks, though I'm certainly questioning why.

I'm taking sides against the person who said that only a very young person with a paper route thinks $1000 is a lot of money to spend on audio equipment, which was one of only many snide and obnoxious posts. I have little interest in relitigating it further.

_cruster, Manimal, vwestlife and 2 others like this.
  3. Uglyversal

As I've said: "Nobody was a saint here" so don't go around dressing people in saints clothes.

4. david1111

david1111 Barba non facit philosophum

I've read all the posts and I feel the same as you. That one dude was an j**k. All his posts were aggressive and obnoxious. Paper route, my a** ...

Manimal and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. Uglyversal

Most people who have money don't have much knowledge of real audio. They do know Mac in the way they do know Rolex.

They are attracted to the blue meters the way a moth is attracted to a lightbulb.

Shame for those stupid people with money and a fruit fly brain, I guess according to you they are not entitled to feel insulted in the same manner as:

I'm taking sides against the person who said that only a very young person with a paper route thinks $1000 is a lot of money to spend on audio equipmen

As always on these boards there are people who only see what they want to see. As I've said there were no saints here.

4-2-7 likes this.
  6. Danby Delight

Is it that I have to explain what "relitigating" means?

I'm not sure what "well, this guy was being an ******* too!" proves here, but do you, king.

Manimal likes this.
  7. Uglyversal

Nobody asked you to re-litigate, you could have just let it go but you are one of those persons who needs to have the last word, aren't you?

Sear and 4-2-7 like this.
  8. Danby Delight

david1111 likes this.
  9. Uglyversal

Thank you for confirming with your post #108

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    4-2-7 likes this.
  10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

As I have attempted to point out before...

On the subject of reading...

This is a key observation that I have made:

The ability to buy expensive name brand items does not impart knowledge in and of itself.

Maybe you missed this statement in your "reading"?

It doesn't appear to be what you are claiming that I stated...

All that I have said, was that McIntosh is regarded as the high end product by the general non audiophile public.

This is in no way different that a member of this same general public, would recognize Rolex to be a high end watch.

That does not make either of these products inferior. It simply means that name recognition does count for something.

Which is why both products retain their value well and enjoy high resale prices.

While someone with money would recognize Mac, they might not even be aware of products like Rogue, Emotiva, PrimaLuna, Audio Note and Line Magnetic.

This name recognition is the primary reason that people who are outside of the audio community and have the finsncial means to do so might purchase a Mac, as opposed to these other fine audio products.

Aesthetics are also a highly motivating factor in retail. There is no question that an amplifier with a gloss black glass face with gold knobs and blue meters might me more attractive than a more industrial looking amp from Line Magnetic.

Other than what I might be currently playing with, of the amplifiers I just mentioned that are tube, I keep them out of sight behind the TV. But that's just me.

11. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

You are correct in your reading and assertion of his digs and belittling of others, sandandglass was being a snobby judgmental dick, anyone who can't / wont see that is just as bad as he is. Let it go none of them are worth any time. Believe me I see this behavior online all the time, mostly seated in envy and it helps them self validate their own worth. Pathetic really.

12. Uglyversal

No matter how many disclaimers you add saying that you are not being judgmental you are being very judgmental and now I have to agree with the person that said you are a reversed snob.

You also presume way too much thinking that you actually know what motivates people to buy certain things or whom posters in this board would consider audiophiles.

In future please speak for yourself, don't use "WE".

4-2-7 likes this.
  13. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

While you whole post is nice and refreshing to read I thought I would quote these two points.
    Most people stop buying and trying gear once they are happy, it doesn't matter the cost level per-say, we all have one of those.

You mentioned diminishing returns, well you could have a lot invested before you start hitting that mark. I personally stoped when the only improvements I could make where very small nuances to sound quality. That and to have sound quality with reliability so I know it will work for many years.

14. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

They are not intended as disclaimers, my comments are further clarifying and stating my positions.

My posts represent my opinions, nothing more.

Those, such as yourself have made statements about my posts which are in clear exception to which I have actually posted.

The reason that I have made replies is not to educate you, it is so that a future reader does not read your posts concerning me and interpt those as being factual.

Other members who read and have the ability to comprehend are perfectly capable of reading and understanding what I did and did not say.

At this point, I will consider the discussion to be concluded, as no further comments need to be clarified on my part.

You are entitled to any opinions that you may have, concerning my posts or posts of other members.

Your opinion is just that, an opinion that you are electing to express, inaccurate though it may be.

15. cliff_forster

cliff_forster Crabby Dad Tech

Anyone who is willing to pay for music and a dedicated system to listen to it on is an "audiophile" by my definition. The music industry has shrunk in stature due to the ease of technological theft and convivence of even legal consumption. If you value music highly enough to actually pull out your wallet, say I'm going to buy these stereo speakers and some CD's or LP's or even files, then you are in the club by my definition.

16. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Belittle others is his usual modus operandi

17. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Bingo, an audiophile is someone who will try to bring good sounding stereo into their space, to listen to the music they like the best they can. They are interested in the process of how to build a system in their space as well as the recorded material production and mastering.

Clearly seen in this thread, I caught some of the first snarky ill informed comment and responded helpfully to them on the first pages. He then kept ramping it up until others started to to question him as to why he felt the need to post blatant insults. I then came back and started to read how snobbish his new post where, clearly posted to troll for reactions and arguments.

I'm on many sites and not new to audio and a sector of the internet population who thrive off trying to push others buttons. I'm not one to not point out when one is trying to belittle others over things they own and how they want to enjoy the hobby. We see this behavior towards people with low budget systems and high dollar setups. The system and owner of is no different and I'll call them on their behavior to pull the covers off their actions.

18. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

That’s what I’m taking about:)
    Finding gems that are odd, off the radar, old or inexpensive and finding it amazing is to me what it’s all about. Using brute force ( cash ) to make amazing playback is not satisfying in my HUMBLE opinion.
    Don’t get me wrong I lust over high dollar equipment like everyone else but for me it’s over the beauty or build quality more than what I think it will do for my music. I have a friend that sells high dollar stuff out of his house and has a room in his house for demos.
    I’ve haven’t yet heard stuff in there that made me want to drop that kind of coin over mine.
    He’s online Ellington HiFi
    Great guy
    I do want some of the tube stuff he has:)

19. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

You have a library... now that is cool.

20. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I’m with you on that brother:)

Lenny99 likes this.
  21. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Uglyversal and Manimal like this.
Thread Status: