How can Fremer and Guttenberg listen with all the clutter

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DaleClark, Nov 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

Seriously. Both have the audio rooms that look like a Goodwill storage closet. I don’t see how anyone can get proper speaker set up, let alone, evaluate music/ components in such an area. Fremer has these super exotic turntables and they look like they are stored in a junk closet. Michael Lavorgna, on the other hand, has a nice thought out listening space in his “ barn”.

Am I the only one who notices this?

Michael Fremer's system from Stereophile

2. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

As a long time subscriber to SP I only see one of the three names you provided as trustworthy writers, Michael Lavorgna.

Salectric likes this.
  3. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

They look like work spaces. I think Fremer has mentioned this.

4. DaleClark

I get that. Just a bit cluttered for critical listening IMO

5. DaleClark

6. dennem

dennem Forum Resident

jtw, displayname and JackG like this.
  7. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Less reflections? :laugh:

The both live in the greater NYC area so space is at a premium, no room to build a barn in Brooklyn unless you’re a billionaire. That said neither seems to be much of a neat freak.

Gregory Earl, Jerjo, uzn007 and 6 others like this.
  8. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

From Fremer's YouTube videos, he lives in a house somewhere in New Jersey and all of his records and audio equipment are in the basement.

Obviously, both Fremer's and Guttenberg's listening space is not exactly conducive for more critical listening with all that clutter lying around. That would make most neat freaks go nuts.

WvL, HiFi Guy, The FRiNgE and 2 others like this.
  9. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I see lots of diffusion and a paucity of reflective surfaces. Not impressive compared to a preciously-staged system glory shot but should work well from an acoustics standpoint. :)

10. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

You mean 6-foot-high shelves of plastic storage bins and a Christmas tree of headphones is not the ideal design for acoustical space?

WvL, bluemooze, displayname and 3 others like this.
  11. Quakerism

Quakerism Serial number 141467.

As a music lover and the owner of audio equipment which cost me a total of @ $700.......I can’t relate. Although as a struggling minimalist, looking at their respective messes makes me uncomfortable. But it’s their world, they get to shape it.

12. timind

timind phorum rezident

I'm not a neat freak, but I'd go nuts working in that sort of disarray. Can you say claustrophobic?

MF says he hears great depth in that room, I'd love to verify that claim. I can't imagine though, Wilson Audio would've left the speakers where they are if they didn't work properly. It looks like the Audio Note method for corner speaker placement.

WvL, Manimal, The FRiNgE and 2 others like this.
  13. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I'm sure their rooms are functional enough to develop working opinions and proper comparative analyses. With that said, I couldn't stand for my work or living spaces to look like theirs. At work and at home I feel like I'm more focused, more relaxed in a tidy space that feels professional and undistracted.

Jerry James, timind and nosliw like this.
  14. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

The caption to the video at the link provided is probably the funniest thing I'll read all day: "Can someone post this on Whirlpool so i can have some entertainment, i can't becasue i am banned."

15. ChuckyBuck

ChuckyBuck Forum Resident

Is Michael Lavorgna back? I really liked the website he set up independently and was disappointed when he shut it down. He said he was shutting it down anyway.

16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Here is the thing, to make a valid test or comparison all you need to do is establish a baseline or "control". A better performing component will perform better in that room compared to what it replaced in that room. Certainly, it's fair to say a component doesn't reach its full potential in a weirdo room like that but at some point you are reviewing the room and not the component.

DavidD, dee, CDFanatic and 3 others like this.
  17. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Looks like his house was ransacked.

thetman, SirAngus and macster like this.
  18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I will say that I liked his work much better when I only knew him as an author. The YouTube videos really lowered the bar on my opinion of his work.

robertash and nosliw like this.
  19. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

How these spaces might sit with anyone is largely defined by where you are and what you’re accustomed to. What you are accustomed to largely sets one’s expectations as to what seems ‘normal’. Both Fremer and Gutenberg are situated in the NYC Metro area which certainly qualifies as NOT an area where acreage is no object. So what looks like insufferable clutter to some, and yeah by any even enabling definition of ‘clutter’ those guys got clutter, might be perfectly livable to an urban mindset. Looks normal to me. Maybe not ideal but hey, ya gotta live.

In fairness too, stuff has away of creeping up on anybody especially if it is stuff that you like. As long as it doesn’t turn neurotic by the stuff owning you rather than you owning stuff, then it’s all good.

20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I’m a naturally lazy man and content to let things sit rather than stress out about organization. That is a disastrous mind set for a person in this hobby. Once the “to file” pile gets beyond 50 lps, or you run out of space to properly organize things, you are at a significant disadvantage. You have to stay on top of it and if you don’t everything suffers.

I don’t get how someone can obsess over details about sound and then have no regard for the details of their space. He seems like a crazy person and I’m not big on Opinions from crazy people.

I’d say you can make an accurate review of equipment in nearly any space you regularly use but the reviewer is suspect if their space is a garbage pit.

GarySteel, AZRunner, Dan C and 8 others like this.
  21. George P

George P Notable Member

I live in a small studio apartment in NYC with my girlfriend and have a lot more empty space around my speakers than these guys have.

crooner and timind like this.
  22. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Yes, I’ve wondered much the same. It’s quite possible for rooms to be too dead acoustically. I had a relative whose hifi rig was in a super clutter room like above. His acoustic was as lifeless as a funeral parlor.

23. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

If that's the case, then this calls into further questioning Guttenberg's reviews since he practically gives praise to all kinds of equipment from low-end junk to near unobtanium expensive products.

Fruff76 and patient_ot like this.
  24. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I'm subscribed to Steve's channel and I trust his judgement, clutter or not.

dmckean, Joe Spivey, JorgeGvb and 9 others like this.
  25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Guttenberg needs views on YT to make money. Lower end stuff and ultra-high end stuff generates clicks and views that middle of the road, mid-priced equipment doesn't. It also helps if he "reviews" stuff that's the current flavor of the month or a newly released product. Pretty much all the popular, click-bait type YT reviewers do the same thing.

RE: their listening environment, I'd be less concerned about that than the other things at play, not to mention age-related hearing loss which these guys surely have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.