How can Fremer and Guttenberg listen with all the clutter

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DaleClark, Nov 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

I believe Fremer was a stand up comedian at one time.

Szeppelin75, timind and Glmoneydawg like this.
  2. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

Well, it is what it is and stuff like this is either a topic of insignificant nothingness rippling through the internet...Or...a topic worthy of driving 9+ pages on SHF. Which is perhaps indicative of the appeal of this kind of activity.
    In truth, it is an absurd, terrible thing but if I’d have chosen this as a verbal tack then I’d run the risk of sounding as strident and shrill as the behaviour I was referring. My intent was to point it out, not to preach against. Do what’cha want, it’s a free country.

I’d guess Messrs Fremer and Guttenberg couldn’t care less about the criticism expressed in this thread. They’re them and we’re us. They know that what we’re doing to them comes with the turf of them doing what they do.

3. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

This thread is turning into a very special holiday episode of Frazier with guest appearance by The Odd Couple.

Neatniks and slobs bicker but hug it out in the end.

:cheers:

Polyphenol, 33na3rd, moops and 3 others like this.
  4. DaleClark

Actually, audiophiles in general bring up every little performance detail on every aspect of an expensive amp to simple rubber component feet. Now if we saw, lets say, Wilson audios in factory listening measurement studio/space and it was full of "stuff" cluttered, unorganized, etc.....EVERYONE here would be saying "what are they thinking.....how can Wilson engineers get proper room response measurements in that crap dump and then sell $100,000 + speakers?". However, the reviewers who review such equipment for people in the market for such gets a pass for such clutter. interesting. The original intent of this thread was not to pick on the reviewers (I like both)....just questioning their review space. The whole "engineer's worksop" thing is a poor excuse when it comes to sound. If Sound & Vision TV review video bloggers presented themselves reviewing $7k Tv's in some dingy apartment room with poor, mixed lighting (led in one lamp, Tungsten in another, mixed with window light), everyone would be raising hell about the review environment. However, sound does not deserve such treatment? You say "I want REAL WORLD reviews". Well the youtube/blog is full of those. I guess Motor Trend could just do car reviews only by testing on LA or NY start-stop traffic and be done with it.

5. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

For the sake of balance (UK/US), here's HiFi News (London)'s Ken Kessler's room. Mind you, he's American anyway.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this is Paul Miller's :
    [​IMG]

6. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

Well out of all the photos I’ve seen on this thread, I’d go to Ken Kessler’s. Sure it’s ‘busy’ in there, but it ain’t a cluttered mess, it’s inviting, full of music. Apart from the vast music collection, it’s the most ‘normal’ room. Sure I’d love to watch a film at Paul Millers, but the room is too stark to hang out in for music. All this is obviously my taste, but I reckon Ken’s is probably the best average regardless of taste, so may we’ll be the best for critical listening for a consumer. Whether he’s any good ir not at reviewing I have no idea!

7. DaleClark

Both are clean and well organized. Two reviewers who seem to take their listening space seriously.

nosliw, Silverwolf and Doctor Fine like this.
  8. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

I'd be afraid to fart in Paul Millers room. Ken Kessler's room not so much.

chipcalzada, SandAndGlass and bever70 like this.
  9. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

It may not linger in Paul’s so long though...

Gregory Earl likes this.
  10. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

being cluttered is not being a "slob"

dmckean likes this.
  11. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Whatever you say, sloblemon!

[​IMG]

sublemon likes this.
  12. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

Oh, cripes, it's awful isn't it? Not funny or charming, but utterly and purely grating to the ears.

DaleClark likes this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Michael Fremer is one of the good guys, a tireless champion of vinyl and good sound. He keeps the record companies on their toes, he's visable in the real world as "The Guy Who Explains Why Vinyl Is King."

In other words, OUR HERO. So trash his place if that's your desire but never forget what he's done for our hobby.

14. You mean like calling members of this Forum ‘wankers’?

prof. stoned likes this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Can't help that, whatever names he calls us, he is the guy that single-handedly brought back vinyl. Love him or hate him, but respect him.

DRM, John Moschella, teag and 11 others like this.
  16. enginedr

enginedr Its all good

So as a community that cares about Fremer lets raise the funds to send Jim Smith there to voice Michaels system . I would be willing to chip in .And Steve could do a video of this event

timind likes this.
  17. DaleClark

I do not think anyone is knocking Fremer’s contribution to the audio industry, he just has a surprisingly cluttered space for someone of that stature who records videos in that space.

18. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

My dog Eno looks just like yours. Wankers unite!

19. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

You seem to have a problem with clutter. Get over it and move on. There are more important things to obsess over.

jeff

RandyHat likes this.
  20. I guess you haven't watched many vinyl community videos on YouTube

21. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Personally I can't listen to music in a cluttered dump. Maybe they are trying to recreate their concert-going experience.

DaleClark likes this.
  22. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Well, some are.

wgriel likes this.
  23. moops

moops Senior Member

Especially on that white couch.

24. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

I think imho that Mikey could care less what anyone thinks about how he goes about his business. If he likes his room and it works for him then more power to him. I bet he can tell you exactly where everything is in it.

25. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

We should start a Vinyl Wankers club and get Mikey to join. :uhhuh:

Fruff76 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.