How can I Burn FLAC to CD at best possible quality?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stanshallogist, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stanshallogist

Stanshallogist Forum Resident Thread Starter

How can I Burn FLAC to CD at best possible quality?

I would like to take my Flacs and move them over to a CD-R and keep 99-100% of the sound quality.

Ive searched these forums a few times and I am left in the dark as to how I do this and what the best programs are.

Should I convert the Flac to anything else or will a program take the lossless information and transfer it to disk without any loss?

2. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Just use something like CDBurnerXP. It'll convert everything to wav and burn it.

3. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Most programs will take the flac files and burn them to an audio CD. Toast on the Mac, for instance will allow you just to drag and drop and burn. What system are you using?

BTW, there's no "99% or best possible" issue. Flac files are lossless. There wil be no loss of quality as they will be identical to the wav files.

bleachershane likes this.
  4. laynecobain

laynecobain Active Member

With my Imac I just make a folder full of FLAC albums or songs and burn onto a DVD. It's beyond simple with an Imac. I would imagine same with a PC?

5. Peter314

Peter314 Forum Resident

Burrn works well for me.

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Burrrn-Download-19908.html

6. j_sunne

j_sunne Forum Resident

Just a note, in case these are Hi Res flacs, the best you can get with RedBook CD is 44/16. Hi Res can be burned with some limitations as a DVD-V.

gregorya likes this.
  7. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

i archive flacs on cd or dvd as data discs using nero but i think any program like that will do it.

8. Peter314

Peter314 Forum Resident

Are the data discs playable in CD players? I assumed that was what the OP wanted but I might have misunderstood.

9. dbmay75

dbmay75 Funk & Guitar Junkie

FLAC Frontend is free and it works for me. Converts the FLAC to WAV and keeps it in the same folder. From there I dump the WAV's into iTunes and burn to disc. Done and with no loss in quality.

10. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

as audio cdr's, no, they won't play. it seemed like the question was how to move the flac files, not so much on playing them from different media but maybe i misunderstood.

11. TheRimeOfIcarus

TheRimeOfIcarus Active Member

Get Burrrn. Easiest software to use and allows you to drag and drop flac files to make a standard audio CD.

Adam garrett, gregorya and mj_patrick like this.
  12. Peter314

Peter314 Forum Resident

Glad you concur... ;)

13. TheRimeOfIcarus

Ah didn't see you posted it earlier lol

14. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Is there any concern about maintaining the gaps between tracks that were originally on the commercial CD that these FLAC files were derived from? Or maintaining seamless transitions between tracks that continue the music from the previous track?

Don't some "drag n drop" burners automatically insert 2 seconds of silence between all tracks?

These are considerations Stanshallogist might be concerned about as well?

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

My experience with Toast has been that it has issues with sample rate conversion that result in non-subtle audible noise. If your FLAC files are in anything other than 44.1k/16 bit resolution, I would use a different program to do sample rate conversion and/or dithering to 16 bit before burning a CD.

16. TheRimeOfIcarus

You can set that option, but Burrrn is completely gapless by default. And most of the time it's improperly encoded files that cause the silence.

17. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

I've seen that, too. Since he didn't specify, my assumption was that he was dealing with 44.1/16 files. If they're high res, I agree with you. I would not drag and drop them in Toast.

18. FulciLives

FulciLives Forum Resident

I usually use Burrrn (which another user mentioned earlier and even included a link to it). I like using it because it supports EAC's Non-compliant CUE sheet files and will allow me to use the FLAC files directly without me first having to manually convert them to WAV format.

The other program that I will use is ImgBurn but I only suggest that if you have a CUE Sheet file and are willing to convert your FLAC files to WAV files first.

Otherwise just use Burrrn.

Oh and Burrrn also has the ability to allow you to just add the FLAC files (in case you don't have a CUE Sheet file). Although when I don't have a CUE Sheet file I normally make one first with CueTools and then use Burrrn (that way if I ever want to burn it again I have the CUE Sheet file which can be used over and over again).

19. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Works great with CUE files too. OOPS...Fulci beat me to it!!! :)

20. Masmusic

Masmusic Compact Discs Forever!

I use Winamp, works great every time!!

svoegtlin likes this.
  21. I would like to write 44.1kHz/16-Bit FLAC to CD-R as CDDA and high resolution FLAC to DVD-R as 96kHz/24-Bit PCM as DVD-V or DVD-A. I still don't have a computer connected to an audio system and at the rate I am going probably never will. I am downloading an HDTrack sampler at 96kHz/24-Bit right now and would like to find out whether or not I will want to mess with this, so far I don't think so. The easiest freeware is probably what I want, I did download Infrarecord but I don't see that it does anything with FLAC. I also downloaded Burrrn but don't see that it does anything with DVD-R. I also downloaded a Jane Siberry album in AIFF format so handling that in addition to everything else I want with an easy to use single software program will be something that I might be able to grasp.

22. Oh, and while I am trying to get a handle on this, I would like to write a CD boxset to a single DVD-R for playback in the car. I don't know if DVD players play 44.1/16 on DVD media but if not, then write it as 48/16 or whatever is appropriate. Carrying a box set or 8 CD-Rs made from the box set doesn't sound attractive if writing it to single DVD-R is easy and works. I also have Winamp and have used it to play files and don't know if that fits into my needs either but I am not going to start listening to music using a PC but would rather write the music to disc or transfer to USB drive for playback using my Oppo BDP-93.

Peter M likes this.
  23. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Only two audio disc formats support 44.1 kHz audio: CD and DVD-A. Everything else only supports 48 kHz (or 96/192/etc.) so a sample rate conversion is necessary when making a DVD-V, BD, etc.

24. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

1+ for Burrrn.
    One little unknown feature, if you have all your music as single flac+cue like me, is that you can import several cue sheet (one at the time) and remove unwanted track, so you can do a compilation very easily without the need to convert the tracks one by one before doing it.

25. Faust3D

Faust3D Sick of it all

If you a cue files you can use FLAC Frontend to convert FLAC to wav and EAC to burn to CD. Works great for me and you get good sounding CD if you burn slower to minimize errors, plus you get CD text, very nifty if you CDP supports it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.