How can I Burn FLAC to CD at best possible quality?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stanshallogist, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stanshallogist

Stanshallogist Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks guys, a huge help once again.

2. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I convert the .flac to .wav with "FLAC frontend", and then burn them to audio cd-rs with "Nero".

3. Captain1

Captain1 New Member

Burrrn works well for me on a Vista machine, but doesn't work on my X64 (64bit) Windows 8. Help anyone?

4. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Another vote for Burrrn, I just like it for being simple and straightforward.

Not sure why it's not working on Windows 8 Captain1, maybe try running in a compatibility mode? I've gotten it to work on 64bit Windows 7. It hasn't been updated for about 6-7 years, sadly.

5. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

I've used a combination of DVD-Audiofile to create an ISO file that I then burn as DVD-A with ImgBurn a number of times for both hi-res flac files or multiple disc CD sets. You have to have a player that will handle a DVD-A disc to listen to them. Both are free programs. I'm doing this on a Windows 7 desktop.

YouKnowEyeKnow likes this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I use Jetaudio (Free) to make 16/44 CDDA compliant cd's for my auto

7. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded and installed both, and now I'm able to burn true 24/192 DVD-Audio discs onto DVD-R, and play them on my Denon universal player. (Previously, I had been limited to DVD-Video burning using Audio DVD Creator software, which meant dropping native 24/192 files down to 24/96 via Sound Forge software, a process that likely was introducing some sonic issues along the way, though not sure how audible they might have been.)

8. Captain1

Captain1 New Member

I tried compatibility mode (Windows 7) on my 64bit Windows 8. Didn't work for me. I even tried to configure all the .exe files to run in compatibility mode, to no avail. MJ, could you help me with this?

I found out that the latest version of Nero (12) supports .FLAC to CD, and another program, PowerISO, that also supports this for $29.95 (much less than Nero 12). Both run well under my x64 Windows 8.

9. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I wish I could help you, but not much luck. I spent some time searching Google for related info, all I could find was a CNET customer review where the author said it wouldn't work with his laptop. Also I am not on Windows 8 yet- I'm not sure I will be unless I have a touchscreen. Has anyone been able to get Burrn to work in Windows 8??

It's a shame as Burrn hasn't been updated for years, it really is a good program!

Nero is for the most part pretty good, it just got way too bloated for my tastes- that's actually what led me to look for something with a smaller footprint like Burrn. No experience with PowerISO yet. I'll keep an eye out for similar software and definitely post my findings here.

10. FulciLives

FulciLives Forum Resident

If you can't get burrrn to work under Windows 8 then the next best thing is to use ImgBurn but you should convert the FLAC to WAV first then use a CUE Sheet file in ImgBurn (make sure it points to the WAV files). The Windows version of CUETools can make a CUE Sheet file if you don't have one (by default it makes a gapless one).

Here's the version of CUETools that I am talking about: http://www.cuetools.net/wiki/Main_Page

The current version is 2.1.4 and it's been on this version for a long time. I use it all the time for correcting the file names in CUE Sheet files, making CUE Sheet files and for splitting CD IMAGE type rips into individual tracks (it also makes a new CUE Sheet for the tracks so you don't need the old one or the old single audio file after conversion). It is an essential piece of software.

I played around with Windows 8 for a bit and I know it works under Windows 8 as does ImgBurn. I know I used both. I'm surprised I didn't have issues with burrrn under Windows 8 but it's possible I didn't try it as I only use it for CD burning and these days I rarely do that since my computer is hooked up to my main stereo. Anyway I didn't hate Windows 8 but I'm back to Windows 7 now (and sometimes I even use Ubuntu now and again).

Oh and here's a link to ImgBurn's website: http://www.imgburn.com/

Spek likes this.
  11. FulciLives

FulciLives Forum Resident

Another good Windows program is CDBurnerXP which can burn audio files without having to convert them first so if you have FLAC files but no CUESheet file then you can just add them and it will handle converting them and it gives you the option to set the GAPS to none or to X number of seconds. However if you have a CD rip with a CUESheet file then I still recommend either Burrrn or ImgBurn. Both support EAC made "non-compliant" CUESheet files (as well as home made CUESheet files made with CUETools).

CDBurnerXP works on Windows XP all the way up to and including Windows 8.

Website link: http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home

12. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Just downloaded Burrrn, imported several cue sheets and removed the unwanted tracks, and I get some kind of an error message which says that the last track exceeds the audio file. The total time is around 75 minutes. And if I want to burn the same files as individual albums, no problem whatsoever. Any ideas?

13. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

Can't find a working legit link for the Windows version of DVD-Audiofile.

14. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

I use XLD to convert files to WAV,and TOAST to burn the cd's.I use a MAC too.

15. Rich Love

Rich Love New Member

I think you need to burn to DVD instead of CD because CD audio is compressed and not full quality.
    I use Toast 11 on Macintosh and burn FLAC files as a Music DVD.
    It retains all of the quality of the original FLAC file (I confirmed this with Toast tech support)
    Then it is important to look at the specs on your DVD player to make sure the DAC in the player can actually play 24 bit audio at 96 Khz or higher.
    My old Sony BDP-S1 blu-ray player can play an audio DVD at 24 bits up to 192 khz.
    Sounds fantastic.

16. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I doubt that any Sony can play 24/192 PCM from a DVD; that would require DVD-A capability which Sony's have never had (and supposedly never will have). They can play 24/192 PCM off of a BD, though.

17. NeilKelly

NeilKelly Member

Hi i've just joined this forum to ask this. Had a problem burning from FLAC for 2 years. Can't overcome it despite trying different scenarios. OK then, when i burn from FLAC onto CD i always get around 5 seconds of blank space around about 3 minutes into the disc. When the sound comes back i've lost that duration and the music plays from that period (5 seconds later). This is using Tesco CD-R (700mb) discs although i've tried other discs with same results. I'm using Nero Express although again i've tried other programmes over the time i've experienced this. Nothing has overcome it and i burn a hell of a lot of discs. The only way i can get around this (and i do this from a certain website that i use from excellent quality 80's rips) is my downloading both the 320kbps MP3's and FLACS then burning the discs by starting off with the MP3's followed by the FLACS. This of course works because the 3 minute mark is bypassed with MP3's

18. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Have you tried burning on another PC?

19. NeilKelly

NeilKelly Member

No. I didn't think of that. Could that be the issue? My computer?

20. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Get Sony CD Architect, a great burning program and if you want an affordable DAW to deal with and enhance the files try Sony sound Forge Audio Studio as it handles up to 24/192 now. Both crazy affordable.

21. I use Burrn on a regular basis and have yet to have any problems with it.

Best Wishes,
    David

22. NeilKelly

NeilKelly Member

Jim, was that a reply to my question? adriatikfan same question? Downloaded Burrrn (as it's correctly spelt, i guess), worked around it (quite different to Nero). First attempt failed. No idea what's wrong. Couldn;t even burn 6 FLAC files. Got this message...
    Finished processing file #1.
    Finished processing file #2.
    Finished processing file #3.
    Finished processing file #4.
    Finished processing file #5.
    Finished processing file #6.
    ERROR:
    ERROR: C:/Users/Neil/AppData/Local/Temp/burrrn_temp/01_01 - Be The One (Paul Humphreys Remix).wav: found sampling rate 96000, require 44100.
    ERROR: Header of audio file "C:/Users/Neil/AppData/Local/Temp/burrrn_temp/01_01 - Be The One (Paul Humphreys Remix).wav" is corrupted.
    ERROR: C:\Program Files (x86)\Burrrn\burrrn.toc:6: Cannot determine length of track data specification.
    ERROR: C:/Users/Neil/AppData/Local/Temp/burrrn_temp/02_02 - Under The Wave (The Car Crash Set Remix).wav: found sampling rate 96000, require 44100.
    ERROR: Header of audio file "C:/Users/Neil/AppData/Local/Temp/burrrn_temp/02_02 - Under The Wave (The Car Crash Set Remix).wav" is corrupted.
    ERROR: C:\Program Files (x86)\Burrrn\burrrn.toc:10: Cannot determine length of track data specification.
    ERROR: C:/Users/Neil/AppData/Local/Temp/burrrn_temp/03_03 - Smoke and Mirrors (Factory Floor Remix).wav: found sampling rate 96000, require 44100.
    ERROR: Header of audio file "C:/Users/Neil/AppData/Local/Temp/burrrn_temp/03_03 - Smoke and Mirrors (Factory Floor Remix).wav" is corrupted.
    ERROR: C:\Program Files (x86)\Burrrn\burrrn.toc:14: Cannot determine length of track data specification.
    ERROR: C:/Users/Neil/AppData/Local/Temp/burrrn_temp/04_04 - Elevation (Jack Antonoff Remix).wav: found sampling rate 96000, require 44100.
    ERROR: Header of audio file "C:/Users/Neil/AppData/Local/Temp/burrrn_temp/04_04 - Elevation (Jack Antonoff Remix).wav" is corrupted.
    ERROR: C:\Program Files (x86)\Burrrn\burrrn.toc:18: Cannot determine length of track data specification.
    ERROR: C:/Users/Neil/AppData/Local/Temp/burrrn_temp/05_05 - Sacred (Rich B & Phil Marriott Remix Edit).wav: found sampling rate 96000, require 44100.
    ERROR: Header of audio file "C:/Users/Neil/AppData/Local/Temp/burrrn_temp/05_05 - Sacred (Rich B & Phil Marriott Remix Edit).wav" is corrupted.
    ERROR: C:\Program Files (x86)\Burrrn\burrrn.toc:22: Cannot determine length of track data specification.
    ERROR:
    ERROR: C:/Users/Neil/AppData/Local/Temp/burrrn_temp/06_06 - Paradise (Superhumanoids Remix).wav: found sampling rate 96000, require 44100.
    ERROR: Header of audio file "C:/Users/Neil/AppData/Local/Temp/burrrn_temp/06_06 - Paradise (Superhumanoids Remix).wav" is corrupted.
    ERROR: C:\Program Files (x86)\Burrrn\burrrn.toc:26: Cannot determine length of track data specification.

23. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

"found sampling rate 96000, require 44100"
    Many of these are high resolution audio files and need to be downsampled to CD standard (44.1kHz) before your software will burn them.

24. NeilKelly

NeilKelly Member

OK thanks. Can't be bothered with all that no idea where to start. Just looking for a way of overcoming my original problem as mentioned in post #42. I have a lot of CD's to burn i've fallen 6 months / 1000 discs behind where i'm currently at, lol

25. NeilKelly

NeilKelly Member

Anyone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.