How can I clean my LP's

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JohnnyK, Oct 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

K-Tel chick is the BEST!! its not her fault that K-Tel wanted to save a few buckolas!!

2. snaporaz

snaporaz New Member

Hey, just what I wanted to talk about! I just got finished with my first Disc Doctor session...45 minutes for 6 albums, I'm slow. I used "certified" (whatever that bs means) distilled water from a jug. I followed the directions and rinsed once, which apparently isn't enough. I see water spots near the inner ring. Does the cleaning solution leave these marks if not rinsed well enough? Or is it possibly my "certified" distilled water? I listened to one song and noticed the increased noise (but better high end response). My bottom line question is, can I just rinse these again? Does the cleaner, once dried, become impossible to rinse off? Will I have to repeat this procedure from the beginning with the cleaner? uggghhh.

3. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

snap, Common problem with DD, always double rinse, your water is just fine. To be safe clean again but go easy on how much of the fluid you use and DOUBLE rinse. :)

4. snaporaz

snaporaz New Member

Good advice! I TRIPLE rinsed everything and it cleaned right up. I did another batch and didn't even give the cleaner time to dry this time. Sounds great first time on the platter.

While we are on the subject, can anyone confirm the benefit of using DD on new vinyl? I'm getting tired of "doing the dishes" but I'll keep going if anyone can confirm this.

5. alanb

alanb Senior Member

this will freak you all out

i read ....and tried white wine vinegar with a soft damp cloth and a rinse after-lukewarm water under the tap---then lay flat on a clean tea/dish towel and dry with a lint free soft cloth----worked fine-no damage and i did it to my original parlaphone beatles records.....gggggggreat...........and sounded clean/crackle free after...?! :)

6. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

Record Cleaning

I am currently waiting for a new cleaning product from a Audiogon member named Paul Frumpkin. Sounds kinda funny with Halloween comming. Many of the old vinyl crowd at Audiogon say it work wonders to remove noise from old records(as long as they are not damaged by a cart. tracking at 20grams). He sends out free samples. Nothing to loose at this point.

Tim

7. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

I also use Spin Clean, which gives pretty good results for the price. I have also used RRL Deep Cleaner in place of the Spin Clean solution, which runs out pretty quickly. However, I must say that I think the Spin Clean fluid works a bit better in this application.

8. RetroSmith

FLEMKE:

Can you post contact info for Paul Frumpkin? I'd like to get a sample.

thanks.

9. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

10. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

11. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

Still waiting. I will be a very happy guy if this stuff works.

Tim

Check his audiogon posts. He is also easy to talk with. Nice guy.

12. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Senior Member Thread Starter

I have an old dirty 45 that I'll try cleaning with vinegar. I'll see what happens.

13. RetroSmith

Johnny Boy.... White Vinegar does an AMAZING job.....just be sure to rinse with lots of Distilled water.

Its something about the acidity of the vinegar that really cleans away the crud in the grooves. The old time record guys knew this, and almost every radio station cleaned their records this way for many years.

14. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Senior Member Thread Starter

Tomorrow I am off to buy white vinegar and distilled water. I have a really dirty Mono Hard Days Night LP (I paid $1.95 for it) that needs cleaning.

JohnnyK

15. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

Paul Frumpkin is the man.
    WOW

16. alanb

alanb Senior Member

johnny let me know what you think....... :righton:

17. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.