How can I tell directionality of Acoustic Research Pro II Series interconnects?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ParloFax, Jan 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParloFax

ParloFax Senior Member Thread Starter

I've read a comment that these were directional, but I can't figure it out...
    (Bought used, so no packaging.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  2. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Does it have anything printed on the jacket? Generally, the current flows in the direction of the writing.

33na3rd, sound chaser and ParloFax like this.
  3. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Is it possible to undo the RCA barrell to see the wiring and solder joints? If so, the end where the shield is soldered to the negative pin (usually the barrel of the RCA inner body) should plug into the source. If it's directional, the other end would not have the shield soldered at all, to float the ground along the shield (this is my layman interpretation at least) and that would be at the load end. If the cable is not shielded it can be a little more difficult to tell, you'd most likely have a twisted cable inside of 3 or 4 conductors, with one conductor tied to shield on one end and not on the other.

If you can't unscrew the outer RCA, it can be a little tough because a continuity check will pass anyway

ParloFax likes this.
  4. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Try 'em one way, then the other. Go with the way that sounds better.

5. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

If it's as I suspect in terms of directionality - one way may have slightly more noise than the other way.

6. ParloFax

Check!

7. ParloFax

Check! Both ends are soldered to the barrel, like you say. So non-directional I guess.

They sound great anyway. An impressive improvement over my old crappy ordinary interconnects, I can dig even on a super modest set-up like mine.

8. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

9. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

You need to look very carefully. The signal ground wire will be soldered to the RCA barrel at both ends of the cable. You need to look carefully for the shield drain wire that is only soldered at one end

toddrhodes likes this.
  10. ParloFax

11. ParloFax

...does it?

...I rechecked those terminations, and they look exactly the same on both ends (I can't photograph them at the moment, sorry!)

I guess it's possible the previous owner somehow fiddled with them (though rather neatly it seems...).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  12. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

No, it does not. If it gives you comfort, follow my advice above.

ParloFax likes this.
  13. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

I owned those interconnects many years ago. They did not have any directional markers on them.

ParloFax likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.