How can I tell if I have a copy-proof CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AKA, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Will my computer try to read it, or will it just act like there's no CD in the drive at all? My computer is currently doing the latter, and the disc in question is Joey Ramone's "Don't Worry About Me."

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Macrovision encoded discs usually rip sounding like poop. They don't act like there's no CD in the drive.

Bring this disc over to another computer and you'll find your CD rom drive has a quirk with that disc, alone. :(

3. AKA

It's seriously some sort of data track they put before track 1. Horrible. The disc won't even play in my CD player. The only way I can get it to play is to put it in my DVD player.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

This is why copy protection schemes aren't a good idea, no matter how paraniod you are. It's data on the disc that ain't music, and can confuse the bejessus out of some older CDP's. What's the point if you can't listen to the damn thing?

Return it to the store, and ask for another copy. With receipt, they can't baulk.

5. krabapple

krabapple New Member

The 'crack' for copy protected CDs was made public some weeks ago
    in a series of embarrassing (for record companies) news articles.
    Some kid figured out an easy way to defeat it using a black magic marker. There was a thread about it on this forum too.

see:

http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,s=25209&a=27255,00.asp

6. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

The Crack

Yes, but that "crack" doesnt work on all copy protected Cds...only on some of them.

And you can bet all new releases will feature a different type of CP that cant be defeated with a black sharpie.....

When will the record labels learn?? Their sales are down because theor music stinks!!! No amount of copy protection is going to change that.

Just in case anyone from the majors is reading this, be advised:

I will NOT purchase ANY CD that is copy protected. No way, no how. i'll get the music a different way.

Issue the Cd without Cp and I will buy it, Simple as that.

7. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Re: The Crack

I'll second that

8. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Unless the vender tells you up front you have no way of knowing unless you try. There are many different approaches. Some stop you from playing the disk in a CD-R player, some stop you from making a copy in a CD-R player, some introduce clicks into the audio during the copying process. I have one free Bob Dylan disk Sony gave away to fans that apparently has the click feature. I don't know of many or even any commercial releases introduced into the North American market; most seem to have been introduced in a trial in some Asian and European markets.

9. AKA

Question: if one copy of Joey Ramone's "Don't Worry About Me" is copy-proofed, does that mean all of them are? If so, will Barnes & Noble rescind its return policy, since I obviously wasn't able to copy the CD and don't pose much of a threat to violate federal laws? I still do have the receipt.

Discuss, dammit, discuss.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Did you try to copy it?

11. AKA

Re: Re: How can I tell if I have a copy-proof CD?

No, I just tried listening to it on my computer. As it stands right now, the only way I can listen to it is on my DVD player or on my car stereo.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Re: Re: Re: How can I tell if I have a copy-proof CD?

I'd return it immediately! Remember it's not the retailers fault. If your nice, You should have no problem. I'm sure they will understand the problem.

13. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

There's a freeware program called ClonyXXL that identifies all sorts of protections on CDs and CD-ROMs. I think it is pretty up to date as far as audio CDs go. Go to this page:
    http://home.arcor.de/bejot/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.