How close is your nearest brick and mortar record store?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by spartanmanor, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spartanmanor

spartanmanor Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ones that actually sell vinyl.

Living in a major metro area I consider myself lucky at the choices I have. One in walking distance and probably 10-20 in short driving distance.

To be honest I need to visit my local stores more often.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  2. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

The closest one is between 5 - 10 miles. The second one is probably 10 -20 miles. Both are great stores.

3. jfire

jfire Forum Resident

I've got three between my house and office. Dangerous.

4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

There is one that is maybe 15-20 miles away, but they carry very little classical, which comprises about 99.5% of my listening. I need to go to Berkeley or San Francisco (about 70 miles) for any serious shopping. I rarely buy vinyl these days, though--only if it's not available on CD/SACD.

5. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I have one down the street about a mile. It's FYE in the mall, and they recently started selling vinyl.

6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

About 8 miles to Princeton Record Exchange about 12 miles to Record Collector in Bordentown.
    Not quite like when I used to live in Greenwich Village, but I can't complain.
    I think they do sell a token amount of vinyl at FYE 5 miles away, but I won't count that.

7. spartanmanor

Well if the FYE at the mall down the street from me now sells vinyl that adds another store in walking distance for me.

8. Shilling the Rubes

Shilling the Rubes Well-Known Member

We have one record shop selling new music left in my hometown of Swindon (HMV) which sells all sorts including a decent range of vinyl.

Otherwise we have some supermarkets which stock a limited range of mainly chart albums (CDs); and one reputable second hand music store which sells old vinyl albums & CDs.

9. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Just got a new one that is partnered up with a barber shop of all places. Go figure. It's just down the hill from me, about 2 miles from here.

Floyd's Barber Shop is very very expensive and shares the building but there is a indoor door between the two businesses.

Besides records, they also have some vintage gear, but most of it is mid-fi.

http://www.analogrecordshop.com/
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Analog Record Shop/@33.750505,-117.809253,3a,75y,208.34h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1se_i_lqLn5004KcSKsLlV2g!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x1b16511dfc1fd65e!6m1!1e1

10. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

I have at least 3 within 1 mile of my house. All walkable. Closest is about 0.4 miles.

11. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

My favorite shop is about 4-5 miles from my workplace :)

There are several within a 15-20 mile radius of my house / 10 mile radius oft office.

12. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

90 miles away in Glasgow. Life is hard...

Aftermath likes this.
  13. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I wish there was a store in NYC that had a good selection of classical CDs or SACDs. Over the past year plus, I may have picked up 1 or 2 discs at a Best Buy or B&N in NYC (although if I did the memory escapes me). I buy everything on line.

14. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I have lived in a suburb for all my record-shopping life and all this time (approximately 40 years now) the nearest record store has been about 5 miles away. There are still two left in close proximity to each other. I last visited them both on Saturday.

15. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

PooBah Records in Pasadena is about 5 miles away from me.
    I'd have picked Canterbury Records but they only sell new vinyl. They sell cartridges and needles as well.

Mal likes this.
  16. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Just under 4 miles away for me, then there's 4 of them within a couple of hundred yards of each other.

17. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Shouldn't the OP have included a "km" option for our European members?

18. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Yes, you do. A record store is way more exciting than a mouse and screen. :)

e.s. likes this.
  19. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I think I have about 14 or 15 less than a mile away, five of them under 10 minutes walk away.

Just to make clear those are all shops that sell record, new, used, or both, I haven't counted CD retailers who don't sell records.

20. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

A real record store is about 15 miles away. Although I just discovered within the last week that a Half Price Books which is a bit closer to me has an interesting music section, including used vinyl, CDs, cassettes, and even a few eight-tracks...

[​IMG]

BuddhaBob and Beatledust like this.
  21. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Luckily for me, Amoeba in Berkeley is in the 5-10 miles range from where I live. And until 2011, for 10 years I worked about a mile away, which meant I spent many lunch breaks there.

Licorice pizza and e.s. like this.
  22. spartanmanor

23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I may have under counted:

Plastic Wax
    P K Music
    Prime Cuts
    Prime Cuts (2)
    The place above Don Major clothes shop
    Idle Hands
    Urban Outfitters
    Head
    HMV
    Wanted
    The Rock Shop
    Before The Dawn
    Payback
    Rise
    Fopp

Plus these which I didn't count/forgot:
    The Stall at the Full Moon market
    The place that was opposite Bridewell
    The guy in the Alleys
    Possibly a stall in Corn Street
    One, possibly two shops in Hotwells
    Possibly a restaurant in Picton Street

Also Genesis, but I'm not sure that's within a mile.

Several charity shops.

I don't go looking so there may well be more.

If anyone would like a tour of our record shops I can be your guide for reasonable rates and maybe even negotiate you the odd discount.:D

black sheriff and Squiggsy68 like this.
  24. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

Vintage Vinyl Records. About 4 miles from me. I've been going there since the late 80's.

http://www.vvinyl.com/

keifspoon likes this.
  25. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

There's a shop in downtown SLC (Randy's Records), that's really dedicated to selling vinyl. There are also a couple of FYE's in town, but for some reason, it just isn't the same. Unfortunately, a lot of the old school record shops in the area went belly up (including my favorite shop) during the recession. It was sad to see them go, but I'm cautiously optimistic that places like Randy's will stay around for the long haul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.