How close is your nearest brick and mortar record store?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by spartanmanor, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

About 1.5 miles, within walking distance and they are useless, new only, not a
    used shop for miles.

2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Here in Ann Arbor, MI, we have three music shops that sell vinyl (One is primarily used, the other two feature predominantly new releases) and all of them offer CDs as well. I don't collect vinyl, just CDs at this point. Honestly, I rarely shop at the local stores anymore because they almost never have the releases that I"m looking for. I don't blame them for focusing on the vinyl crowd these days, as that's where the action seems to be for bricks and mortar retailers, but I'm not going to go out of my way to visit stores that rarely carry what I want.

3. DPM

DPM Senior Member

There are two Zia Records here in Vegas. One is about 6 miles from me and the other around 10. Nice small shops, but I miss the huge Tower Records that used to be here.

4. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

200km (130?miles)

5. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

There is a FYE about 1/4 mile from
    here, if that counts. Otherwise I'd say 10 to 15 miles.

6. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

1.3 miles

7. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

30 minutes walk, it's a Tower on O'Connell St. the main Dublin City Centre street. A few more are about 10 minutes further on.

8. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

5-10 miles

Dearborn Music , since 1956

9. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

I live in a rural area. The nearest record shop is 12 miles away but it's sort of 'designer' and incredibly clean and spacious and EVERYTHING has a plastic sleeve and I think they only sell new and every single piece of vinyl costs at least £UK20.

So I don't go there. I go to the one 25 miles away which has used vinyl and those cardboard boxes under the racks with good stuff for £UK2 which is VG or needs a good clean. I had lots and lots of back issues of Record Collector (UK) magazine but I only have a tiny flat now and I have no room for them but I could not bear- could not BEAR- to throw them away so I gave them to the record shop for nothing so at least someone could use them and after I'd given them about four boxes full they let me choose a piece of new vinyl in return which was good. If you sell vinyl to them they're fair and don't try to rip you off.

Takes me 45 min to get there in the car but it's worth it.

10. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Are you talking about the Record Man in Redwood City? I go there once in a blue moon, and I occasionally find some fairly rare LPs. Their prices do tend to be outrageous, though. But just this past December I went there during one of their holiday "buy one get one free" sales, where if you get an even number of records, half of them are "free". I got four records for $38 with the sale, which is about what I might've paid for all four LPs at Amoeba without any kind of sale. Of course, without the sale, the price would've been double that, so if you just pretend that there is not a sale and that their prices have just temporarily come down to earth, it works out. I've never seen the hidden upstairs library.

I haven't been to Vinyl Solutions in San Mateo since the 90s.

11. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

One of them is 11 miles to the west and not great; the other is 11 miles to the east and very good but ultra expensive!!!!

12. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I haven't made it over to Dave's yet. How do you like it? I think that place opened not too long before my wife and I moved to Europe for three years. Now that we're back I'll have to check it out.

13. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

there is probably one closer but all the ones i know are in hollywood...i live at the edge of los angeles...its about 15mile drive for me...i never go...i just buy online.

14. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to go there during the holidays!

15. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

I'm fortunate my favorite B&M record store is only about a mile from me. Very walkable on a nice day. It's surrounded by galleries, bars and cafe"s. There is also a farmer's market less than a block away. I usually make a day of it when I go.

16. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I have six within a five mile radius!

17. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Well, I guess I know where I'm going this weekend!

18. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Good for jazz stuff. I got every few weeks and almost always find things I've been looking for, or that look interesting.

19. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

That's where I learned how to play pool. Still feels strange going in there and not seeing old men smoking cigars and wearing suspenders. While I don't go as often as I used to, I've been going to Joe's off and on since they were Plaza Del Mercado in Olney.

These days I live halfway in between Baltimore and DC – which means I'm about 15 miles from four record stores. Most of my social activities are in Baltimore, though, so I spend much more time (and money) at Sound Garden.

I'm overdue to check in at CDepot. It's a lost a lot of its luster, but it is still worth checking out from time to time.

I'm lucky in that I also live within 20 minute walk up to bookstores; one is has a lot of use CDs and the other has a small but decent selection of recent titles and classical.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    Chris Schoen likes this.
  20. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

There are nine within a half-hour walk from my home, many more outside of that radius. But this is Portland.

GentleSenator likes this.
  21. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

About a mile and a half.
    Should it move, I will do so too....... :whistle:

22. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Forum Resident

I would be so poor if I lived that close to PREX.

23. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Yeah...I like Jeremy and Austin...but the 'Chrises' and I don't get along some chumily. And Randy can be a dick.

One day he told Jeremy I had to pay $1 to look at the used cd stock they'd have behind the counter getting ready to be put out. Can you believe it ? Seems if someone buys something that less work has been put into..that is stocking the shelves..they come out ahead. I've found some decent used cd's there, even though that's been a low priority of theirs now for years.

I've found my best scores at Graywhale. Especially the University site.

I knew Dave, Record Collector, as well as I've lived in SLC off and on since 1994. Down where Cottonwood Mall used to be..there was a Raspberries. That was OK too.

Oh well.....Alta, where I worked and skied day in/day out...has now had 4 lousy snow years in a row. 400 inches average...whereas they used to get 500-650 quite regularly. I miss those days. I loved riding around downtown, City Creek Canyon, the Aves, the U, Sugarhouse etc...stopping into the U. Graywhale almost everyday !

Oh by the way...I'm now about 60 miles from a good brick and mortar cd shop, whereas in SLC I was walking distance.

24. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

The only guy I got chummy with at Randy's was Tom, but I haven't seen him in quite a while. The rest of the guys can either be friendly or aloof, depending on who it is. Never heard about the $1 fee, but that's ridiculous. They really don't have more than a handful of CD's in the shop, anymore. They've gone vinyl heavy in the last few years. Generally, I go there to stock up on Beatles stuff, but if I need something specifically, I'll try my luck on Ebay.

I only go to Graywhale about once a year, and that's the Taylorsville location near SLCC. They're kinda hit or miss with me.

As I've mentioned before, I really miss the Record Collector, and Dave was a good mentor, when I started collecting. The good thing is, I still see Dave every so often.

Raspberry was good, as well. I had a couple of friends, who worked there back in the 90's. I was pretty bummed, when they went under.

25. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

I totally forgot about the Heavy Metal Shop, I went there every chance I could back in the '90s, didn't know they were still around. Will definitely stop by in April.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.