How come that Greta Van Fleet got signed?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark12345, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

Then you didn't listen to their first album very closely.

2. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I resemble that remark! I bought it the day it was released and I love GVF and Zep!

Rodant Kapoor and eddiel like this.
  3. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Rush, the Cult, Greta Van Fleet - this is the third generation to mimic Zeppelin. I bought GVF for the yuks, btw. I'm probably going to slip them into a Zip playlist and wind up the missus someday.

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Greta van Fleet Prep Kit #2

5. And, yet, GVF sounds nothing like The Cult and The Cult sounds nothing like Rush.

6. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Interesting point that I will have to consider, Professor. The non-transitive character of the Led Zeppelin identity function :tiphat:

7. Lpone

Lpone Forum Resident

Might increase sales for the real LED Zep and all other classic rock.

8. Baby Driver

Baby Driver Forum Resident

you just described Robert Plant to a tee. what did he have 3 years? 4? by ‘73 he was shot.

9. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Yeah, but that was 3-4 years as a best-selling international superstar, not as a struggling wannabee still trying to break into the top tier.

Northwind and WarEagleRK like this.
  10. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

As I have stated in the other GVF thread, I just don't get it. Yes he mimics Plant circa 1969 at the upper range, but I don't hear the nuances or depth that Plant had in his voice. It is just a caricature. As far as the band goes, they aren't bad would like to hear the singer sound more natural in his approach because just the vocal mimicry and the lyrics distract more than enhance the sound for my tastes.

Artificial Plant would be a better name unless they grow and adapt their sound over time.

That said, I do wish them success because the world need rock music to make a big comeback and cleanse the airwaves.

Rodant Kapoor likes this.
  11. Got this band mixed up with the little girl with a mandolin who won America Talent. Finally listened. Dug it, the same way a 12-pack of light beer before noon seems like a genius move until you wake up at 4 sunburnt and remember you’re not 25 anymore. Anyway, I liked this band a lot more when I was drunk and they were called Led Zeppelin.

DHamilton and Spinmeout like this.
  12. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

It will never stop!

Mr Mojo and Blastproof like this.
  13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

They are reminiscent of the Show-Biz Pizza band.

14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Over the years I heard of YouTubers getting record contracts though most of them can't even sing. Seriously. A terrible era we have.

15. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The ironic part is that Led Zeppelin started out imitating (not to say plagiarizing) a number of US Blues players.

Rodant Kapoor, Rocketdog and sonofjim like this.
  16. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Son, have you heard the Rush debut?! Doesn't get more Zep than that! :)

905 and MikeInFla like this.
  17. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

It will be interesting to see what the band does for their next release and maybe the one after. If they continue with the Zeppelin vibe, I don’t see any future for them. On the other hand, if they can show some originality and growth, they just might be around a while.

oneslip17 likes this.
  18. I'm not denying that. Maybe read my post, and the one I quoted, more carefully.

warewolf95 likes this.
  19. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Or they'll be like Jet: come out swinging with a retro sound, do a second album, and then it's the Where Are They Now file.

musicfan37 and driverdrummer like this.
  20. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

To piss off a lot of you whiners, I hope these guys get *huge*.

21. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I'm not worried. No one "gets huge" anymore.

22. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Personally, I don’t get all the hate. I didn’t even know about these guys until my 16 y/o son came to me all excited with a song that sounded like Led Zeppelin. They don’t deny their Zeppelin influence at all. They idolize them. There’s no crime in that and, so far, they’ve never been to court on plagiarism charges. I got on Amazon with my son and ordered the EP on vinyl. Looking forward to it actually.

Rodant Kapoor likes this.
  23. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I'm afraid for them to get huge they will have to stop their Zeppelin sound and move on to an autotuned vocal with synthetic beats.

thxphotog and driverdrummer like this.
  24. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

I heard “From the Fires” over the weekend. Am I missing something? I was expecting a Zep clone, but only 3 out of 8 tracks sound like Led Zep. That’s not to say I don’t hear other influences (everything from Dio to the Outlaws), but then again there’s only so much originality you can do in a well- mined genre like hard rock. And for those that think GVF are “ripping off” Led Zep, keep in mind that LZ haven’t released new music in 40 years! So saying that they’re ripping off 40-50 year old music is like saying Brian Setzer or Big Bad Voodoo Daddy we’re ripping off Louis Prima back in the 90’s during the short-lived Swing revival. Hard rock fans should be happy that there’s a band bringing the buzz back. Enjoy it while it lasts, because it might only last as long as that Swing revival did.

25. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I don't think Brian Setzer (whether with BSO or going back to Stray Cats) was fooling himself or anyone else in that he was an enthusiast of rockabilly and swing, and kept that fire alive, so to speak. That stuff was a nostalgia exercise from get-go. I mean, he played Eddie Cochran in La Bamba.

The issue I think myself and others are having with GVF is that they cop not only the sound, but also the specific gear and stage moves of LZ, without ever openly being like "yes, we love Zep." It really does seem like they're trying to pass it off as a new thing, when anyone who's watched 5 minutes of The Song Remains The Same knows darn well that it's not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.