How come that Greta Van Fleet got signed?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark12345, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

Agree with this. How much of what is new is really "new" anyway.

I love me some Struts - however - they are actually the Stones, the Cult, Queen, etc. So is most everyone else. I think it's the degree to which insert-name-here pays homage to their influences that determines where their appeal will land.

Maybe just me, but I prefer a little something familiar in the new - usually what hooks me.

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  2. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

I'm sorry, but I cannot stand this band. The lead singer is so annoying.

MusicNBeer, painted8, c-eling and 3 others like this.
  3. GroovyVinylDood

GroovyVinylDood Forum Resident

Because the music industry - much like many other industries - has figured out that us "50 somethings" have a sh*tload of disposable income and are just looking for ways to spew it. Millennial's may be emerging but it's us trailing boomers that have the coin to spend.

4. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

More like some dismal marketing droid sipping bottled water.

5. Is that all it's about - money?

overdrivethree likes this.
  6. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

It'd be amusing (and circular) if Rolling Stone commissioned John Mendelsohn to review their first album.

Andrew J, Fullbug and Daryl M like this.
  7. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

"He drank an Evian and drove a Toyota Prius, and said 'boys I think this band's outta sight!"

8. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Never heard of them until now. Thought the thread title referred to a woman.

9. GroovyVinylDood

GroovyVinylDood Forum Resident

Please state your sources / facts on that. Do you even understand the way the music business works in the "modern day"? The only reason I'm asking is that I just need to know where you got your information on this from and need to understand the day job and haters part of your post.

10. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

You really don't know how the music business works, do you?

If GVF is *extremely* lucky, they'll perhaps have steady gigs (based on what they're doing now) for 10 years at absolute most, that contribute to anything resembling a living wage.

But otherwise, they won't be sustained by playing Zep covers to a crowded suburban "roadhouse"-style bar.

If they want a steady gig in *that* circuit, dispense with the classic rock tropes and learn some Sublime or bro-country tunes.

11. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I just remembered this guy...

violetvinyl likes this.
  12. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

Imitation is the sincerest form of plagiarism.

13. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

Come in here dear boy have a cigar, your gonna go far.

...oh by the way, which one's Greta?

setlistthief, Jonny W and thxphotog like this.
  14. overdrivethree

I think millennials are still into music and enjoy going to plenty of shows - just not the usual rock stuff posted around these parts.

That said, I think boomer rock fans are happy to have something to "buy into" with GVF - the experience of discovering a single band, ordering the singles/EPs (marketing-wise, a genius move to whet appetites, instead of cashing out early with one full-length), going to the concerts and reliving that experience.

GroovyVinylDood likes this.
  15. overdrivethree

Tech-savvy market researchers great at networking and schmoozing.

16. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

They're very young guys. Once they get past their current musical phase they'll probably evolve and get better. I'm an old guy and I kind of like them---more to my taste than Swift, Beyonce and the rest of that bunch. They just plain rock (yeah, music of my boomer youth).

Rodant Kapoor likes this.
  17. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

I kind of like their overall sound, even though it's pretty derivative. But unlike say,.. the Black Crowes, the tunes I've heard just aren't very memorable.

WarEagleRK likes this.
  18. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Zen like full circle.

19. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

I thought I was saying something nice about about the band, and I'm not really a fan.
    Let' say these guys don't ever want to do anything besides music, but only last at their current level of popularity 2 or 3 more years. That's assuming the upcoming album is on par or even a small step up from what they've released so far. Between all the touring they are doing now, and all the touring they will be doing in support of the upcoming album, they should each have a nice little nest egg. If they don't go crazy with it, have a good tax lawyer and a good retirement planner, then they should be able to keep making music even when their popularity wanes . They could end up regional favorites, playing a couple of months of dates every year to bring in some extra income, or they will be playing small clubs all over the place for longer, but they shouldn't ever have to work a 9-5 if they don't want to.

20. overdrivethree

I simply don't think this is realistic. Not in an era where bands who sold in the millions - take Journey for example - are left to rake in revenue by climbing aboard a ship and playing to fans on a cruise. "Retirements" and "nest eggs" are reserved for the Bill Wymans and Phil Collinses, not a flash-in-the-pan band boosted largely by Internet hype in 2018.

21. Do they have to use their nest egg to pay for the good tax lawyer?

22. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Why does this group draw so many haters?

I like them. So do the promoters/venues that can sell out their shows.

Just a bunch of kids from Michigan having a lot of fun. So what if they sound like anyone.

23. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Harley Davidson - decided to appeal to the wild side of a 55+ year old who never had it before, with lots of cash and wants to get his Steppenwolf on

Millenials go out of their way to spend less or no coin on entertainment.

These older execs hear a Robert Plant imitation with none of his charisma and want to exploit it
    The old audience coddles the original. The younger
    That sounds like the Zeppelin records dad plays

GroovyVinylDood likes this.
  24. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Plant has charisma, prescence and depth

This kid has a canny similar vocal range and style

WarEagleRK likes this.
  25. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

OP starts thread, overtly contentious then doesn't return. = Trolling

9 Volt and Acoustic Warrior like this.