how did garth brooks sell so many records?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alreadygone, Jul 13, 2022.

1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Well, I regard myself as a discerning music fan and I think Garth Brooks has given us a very solid, enjoyable catalogue.

showtaper, Panama Jack, ARK and 4 others like this.
  2. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Production, duplication, and release party collectively cost around $1200.00. I sold 30 at the release party, and had to sell a total of 120 at $10.00 each to break even. Steady but slow sales. Being an independent do-it-yourself release, I'm able to still keep it available on an "every album is new if you've never heard it" basis. However, it came out in 2010 and I haven't made another one. I still have to get out and promote it, which is more difficult now that so many people have decided that CDs are obsolete.

lazydawg58, JamieC and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Thanks. To press it to vinyl would cost about twice as much wouldn't it? Would that be the way to go at this point? Or is vinyl still too much of a niche?

4. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Garth was one of the bridges between old county and new country although by today's standard he's old country.

New country I call chicken-fried pop music.

Surprisingly some of the more hip-hop infused country actually works.

carlwm and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Vinyl is viable if you're nationally known, but too much of a niche for a local independent, especially with the exorbitant price of a new vinyl album. It would be difficult , if not impossible, to recoup expenses, especially since the CD runs over an hour and would probably have to be pressed as a double vinyl album to avoid too much sound reduction. Looking into iTunes and/or Spotify.

lazydawg58 and JosepZ like this.
  6. Booyaa73

Booyaa73 Often wrong, never in doubt.

Talent and timing.

BluesOvertookMe and carlwm like this.
  7. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Japan and Ireland are two different countries fyi. Wouldn’t think Garth would be big in either. I’d lose that bet. Kinda surprising. Helter Skelter where did you hear Garth Brooks was big in Japan?

carlwm likes this.
  8. Greenalishi

Totally. You nailed it. That soft rock need is filled by the Garth’s. All of LA, the 80 metal crowd, and studio musicians moved to Nashville. Fills a need.

carlwm and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. souldeep69

souldeep69 Forum Resident

Only country singer I know of who lists Boston and Foreigner as his favorite bands growing up, and considers them major influences. This is a country artist whose music is informed by rock and pop-rock sensibilities. It shows — not only in his sales but in his ability to appeal to many far outside of the country music fanbase.
    I am personally not a fan of most country music, But I loved the early albums of Garth Brooks and, similarly, Taylor Swift. (I understand she sells pretty well, too.)
    Another artist considered country but who regularly records rock and straight ahead pop-rock is Rodney Crowell, as well his former girlfriend Rosanne Cash. I like both.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
    ARK, Efus, carlwm and 3 others like this.
  10. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Rodney and Rosanne were married for 13 years, so I suppose she became a former girlfriend when she became his wife.

I saw 3 Garth L.P.'s at Ollie's the other day, "The Chase", "Fresh Horses" and (I think) "In Pieces". $7.99 each and they had a lot of them.

11. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

i thought that was hank jr.

ARK, lazydawg58 and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

Whatever happened to Chris Gaines?...Brooks should've sued him or something

:shh::wave::unhunh:

13. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Get the live anthology instead. A stunning remaster of double live, his new triple live set, and a very informative book as well. I got it for twenty-five bucks when it first came out, but you might be able to get it for even cheaper nowadays.

14. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I could have bought that at Goodwill a couple of weeks back for $1.99 plus tax ($2.10 total).

Not surprisingly it was sold the next time I went in there to look around. I know the price was cheap enough, but I didn't/don't have enough interest in him to justify the purchase.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

A good artist to flip. It will sell at an antique shop booth for $6 or more and not sit there for a couple of years before it does.

16. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Our local Ollie's , now has 8 of his vinyl albums
    in stock
    $5.99 each

GLENN and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Whoever got it at that price got the steal of a lifetime. The book alone is worth more than that and when you add in five of the greatest live CDs ever then you really are getting it for a steal.

Grand_Ennui and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Greenalishi

The question of how did he sell so much being a country guy I guess cause he was n wasn’t. He was bottom line show biz. Country like Olivia Newton John. Put that Kiss showmanship. Ya gonna sell a million kid. Ambition and middle of the road approach, boom.

19. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

Garth Brooks had his very own accountant ensconced inside EMI/CAP/CEMA. Much to the dismay of Eric Nicoli I would have imagined.

still unheard of, then or since. Even Sinatra had to reprise his own thing with Mo to properly "account".

That's how many units Garth Brooks moved. why, doesn't matter or even enter into the equation.

Farmer Mike, ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Elon Muskrat

Elon Muskrat The Plural of VInyl is Vinyl

21. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

I remember in the Nineties, there was one time when he put out some live album in different formats, and there was fear in the Michael Jackson fan community, which I belonged to, that he would manage to exceed Thriller’s US sales because his fans would buy all of the versions of the album. So he was so big that people thought he could outsell Thriller.

ARK, MichaelH and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

certified 21 million platinum in 2006

Rick Bartlett, ARK and MichaelH like this.
  23. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Garth Brooks is the Ted Williams of country music

dmiller458 likes this.
  24. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

YouCantWin likes this.
  25. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I don’t get into much country at all.Folks who do really think highly of his music.That is great if anybody enjoys any kind of music so much.Have fun people.