How do Elton John CDs on Polydor compare?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew T., Jul 4, 2005.

1. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein Thread Starter

I've noticed that the general consensus here is that the '80s MCA and DJM CDs represent the best issues of Elton John's '70s output, while the 1995 Gus Dudgeon Rocket/Island remasters are the worst.

However, I haven't heard much about the Polydor series of CDs from the early '90s that came out after the MCA CDs and before the remasters. How do these compare with the MCA, DJM, and Rocket/Island CD issues? I've noticed that most of the Polydor CDs carry the same 800 000-series catalog numbers as the DJM discs.

2. JWB

JWB New Member

Here's what I've been able to figure out so far about the Polydors:

Empty Sky - same as DJM
    Elton John - unique mastering
    Tumbleweed Connection - same as DJM
    Madman Across The Water - same as MCA (DJM unknown)
    Honky Chateu - same as DJM
    Don't Shoot Me... - same as MCA (DJM unknown)
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - same as both MCA and DJM
    Captain Fantastic - same as DJM

3. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

I like the Polydors on the whole...nice if you don't want to spring for MFSL discs (too late for me) though I still keep "Elton John" and "Madman" handy (until I get the DCC for the latter)

McLover likes this.
  4. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

JWB,
    Great work!
    I just got turned on to a DJM EJ, there tough too find. Glad I don't 'need' all of them!
    Soooooooooooo, you don't hear any difference between MCA, DJM, or Polydor releases of GYBR? WoW! I don't need the single or two disc version, the W.G. or Japan version, anyone can pickup any one of these and be 'happy' with silver CD sound? If so, great!

enfield likes this.
  5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

The Polydors are actually remasters and sound brighter (on my system, of course) than the MCA's.

I think they are better than the newest remasters.

Interesting! I can actually check this one out as I know someone who has a DJM! :)

SinnerSaint likes this.
  6. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

He actually found out that they are all digitally identical.

(I hope he allows me to speak for him.) But I don't know if he has also checked the earlier two-disc Polydor release.

bleachershane likes this.
  7. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

So how are the DJMs and the MCAs different?

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Great thread, as I always wondered about those Polydor discs too.

9. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

What about the Polydor Greatest Hits/Greatest Hits Volume 2?

10. JWB

JWB New Member

Guys...I didn't do the comparisons myself. Other people did. I'm just relaying the information. :)

If it says they're the "same"...that means digitally identical. I can't explain how they're different. I only have one copy of each and they're all MFSL or Polydor!

SinnerSaint likes this.
  11. Andrew, you're in luck.

This topic was extensively discussed in December of 2002. David R. Modney is the resident Elton John expert. Check out his thread.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=9675&highlight=elton+john

Here's what David had compiled in terms of any differences between the DJM, MCA, Polydor CDs.

"Empty Sky" - DJM and Polydor the same. MCA different.

"Elton John" - DJM, MCA and Polydor all different.

"Tumbleweed Connection" - DJM and Polydor the same. MCA different.

"11-17-70" - I only own the Polydor - not tested yet.

"Madman Across The Water" - Don't own the DJM. MCA and Polydor the
    same.

"Honky Chateau" - DJM and Polydor the same. MCA different.

"Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player" - Don't own the DJM. MCA and Polydor the same.

"Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - DJM, MCA and Polydor (single disc) all the same.

"Caribou" - Don't own any.

"Capt. Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy" - Don't own the DJM. MCA and Polydor different.

"Rock of The Westies" - Don't own any.

GH 1 - didn't fully test.
    GH 2 - didn't fully test.

SinnerSaint and SOONERFAN like this.
  12. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I've heard most of the MCAs and DJMs which are identical in sound (best ones). The Polydors are much brighter and the Rockets are bright and compressed.

13. :confused: Look at David's list. It shows the MCD CDs are different on Empty Sky, Elton John, Tumbleweed Connection and Honkey Chateau,
    Maybe not. According to David's research, many of the Polydor CDs are clones of the original U.K. DJM CDs. So, how could the Polydor discs be brighter?

Here are some more shorter threads on the subject.

Quick Elton DJM tidbit (Nov. 2004)

FS: Elton John W. German DJM CD of "Empty Sky" (January, 2004)

Elton DJM's have arrived...and we have an amazing surprise! (December, 2002)

Elton - More release comparisons/tests (December 2002)

SinnerSaint likes this.
  14. JWB

JWB New Member

Thanks to Miike for finding those links. I was too lazy. :)

15. KeithH

As I recall, the Polydor version of Greatest Hits Volume 2 does not have "Don't Go Breaking My Heart". It's currently available on Greatest Hits 1976-1986 on the MCA label, though.

16. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

17 -11 - 70 had slightly different mixes for the US and UK (as well as a different title!) on vinyl.
    After the DJ intro one version had a big crowd "woo-hoo" the other didn't!?

I had to buy my CD copy on import from the US, so it's possible that it wasn't issued in the UK.

I also remember it being very difficult to get a UK Greatest Hits vol 2 - mine's a US version.

Anyone know?

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Gotta be careful with the Polydor issues. There were two. The first batch was from hell, with massive NR applied. The second batch was more like the MCA CDs or used the same MCA masters.

I, for one, like the Rocket remasters, even if they are a bit bright. They still can't get the correct full-length 45 single version of "Philadelphia Freedom" right, though.

McLover likes this.
  18. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The Polydor GH #2 is NR'd to hell......

Evan

19. DanK

DanK Forum Resident

So that's the one to get.

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yeah! I never took a CD back to a store so fast in my life! They didn't want to give me my money back so I put up a big scene until they at least let me make an exchange.

In 1992. or whenever it was, no avarage person had a clue that a CD could sound so bad! I had a hard time convincing the store how bad it was.

The Polydors came out at a time when using NR was becoming popular again, after initial disasters with Those old Original Sound and Priority compilation CDs from the mid-80s.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  21. JWB

JWB New Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Right!

22. KeithH

Depends on your perspective, obviously. I quite like "Don't Go Breaking My Heart". Plus, I like the sound of the original MCA version of Greatest Hits Volume 2.

dalem5467 likes this.
  23. DanK

DanK Forum Resident

Yeah, you and every early 70's radio programming director; it was as ubiquitous as <gag>Dream Weaver</gag>. To me it was an insidious earworm and I've just been re-infected. ACK!

:hide:

24. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word is also missing. These two songs were replaced with Tiny Dancer and I Feel Like a Bullet (In the Gun of Robert Ford).

25. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Anybody know who remastered GHVII(original). I was fortunate enough to grab one of those within the first year of getting a CD player. Still got it!