How do I get that Jeff Lynne sound?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Greatest Hits, Jul 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Richard said Jeff was playing a piano part and told Geoff to record it when Paul came in and said he was going to play it instead because he was a Beatle. Jeff was disappointed.

2. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

First of all that's a great story just because it's fun to imagine McCartney saying that... and McCartney clearly believes it so it sure sounds like an acurate story. But I guess that it seems odd that Jeff would be even remotely surprised by the reaction. Do you really think he expected to play (or sing) even one note on the recording?

3. balzac

balzac Senior Member

This is what I'm thinking too. I find it odd that Lynne would be surprised at all by any of this. Especially considering that, as big producers or big music industry people go, Lynne seems to be pretty low-key. I've never heard stories of him producing sessions and bursting in and being the domineering type. To just assume he's going to play McCartney's piano part on the first new Beatles song in a quarter of a century (and doing it while being paid/hired partly by Paul and recording in Paul's own studio for crying out loud!) seems weird and out of character.

I would wonder if Paul actually said in a totally serious way "I'm going to play it because I'm a Beatle", or if it was just a case of Jeff showing Paul some ideas on piano, and then Paul saying something like "okay, I got it, so go cue up the tape deck and I'll play it", and then Lynne recounting the story and assuming (rightly as McCartney's interview from a previous post would seem to indicate) that Paul felt he should play it because he's a Beatle, and more to the point as far as I'm concerned, it would sort of blow the whole functional nature of it being a "reunion" if they had basically another member equally playing and singing parts. But man, I just don't buy that Lynne would really push himself on them this way, so perhaps getting this in a sort of third-hand version of the story is just muddying the context of it all a bit, or at least blurring the severity of this "disappointment."

Some of the interview bits from McCartney do seem to line up in a general sense to these stories, though. In the above interview and in other interviews from that same website, McCartney indicates that he had initial concerns over Lynne's "sound" and of Lynne's close working relationship with George, and also talks about how he was iffy about having others appear on Beatles records, even going so far as to cite Billy Preston from years earlier. So I could imagine that Paul, having all of these pre-session doubts, and having not worked with Lynne before, would not be totally at ease even working with him, let alone having him play on the recording.

In one of the interviews, McCartney even talks about how Lynne helped him research the chords and found interesting things in the Lennon demo that he (McCartney) hadn't picked up on. So perhaps Lynne showed those things to McCartney, and then McCartney said thanks and then proceeded to play himself, and I suppose Lynne could have been sort of secretly a bit disappointed that he wouldn't get to play. But given his relative apparent lack of ego, and just looking at the logic of it and that he would have to understand the politics of it all, I think it would be really weird if Lynne assumed he would just be like the fourth member of the group playing and singing with them, especially considering they *needed* him behind the board to produce with all of the technical whatnot involved.

4. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

:laugh: Poor Jamie just reported what he heard.

I have this fantasy image of McCartney shoving Jeff off the piano stool as he says, "Move over sonny. I'm the Beatle! I'll play this!"

Anyway, Jeff is clearly cabable of being the architect of a Beatles song, with or without them. It's fun to imagine what went on in those sessions.

5. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Now I have this picture of Jeff that's like a comedy sketch I've seen that aired somewhere on TV in the 70's, where it depicts the Beatles reuniting for a show, but one of them can't make it, so they hire a "Temp Beatle" that starts getting on everybody's nerves. :)

6. Thomas Pugwash

Thomas Pugwash Forum Resident

This is all getting very tabloidy and silly now.....I'm bailing.

Speculate on my friends.....:confused:

T.

7. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Oh come on. Lost your sense of humour?

8. Thomas Pugwash

NEVER Marky Sparky.....:D

And to prove that here's a picture of Jeff with Neil Innes and Joe Walsh from last week

[​IMG]

P.S.....Though I must say Mark.....quotes like "Richard said Jeff was playing a piano part and told Geoff to record it when Paul came in and said he was going to play it instead because he was a Beatle. Jeff was disappointed." smack of stupidity to me......IMHO

T.

9. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Ouch Thomas. You're not even reading what was said. Jamie just reported what he was told. Balzac and I are saying that we don't see it happening. It's just a discussion of something Jamie heard from a good source. It's a bit of fun. Perhaps its silly and not on topic but scolding us is wrong.

10. Thomas Pugwash

I've read this thread from the beginning Mark and to imply that I've miss-interpreted any of it is a little presumptious if I'm being honest. Your reply to my post at the top of the page does not read 'ironic' in my view.....either way I replied in a pretty lighthearted way!!

:confused:

T.

11. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Actually, I know a guy who was a 1st cousin of a friend who knew a girl who met somebody who lived next door to a tape op who was at the "Free as a Bird" sessions.

At exactly 2:13 in the afternoon, on the 14 day of the recording, Paul McCartney walked in. Like a wide-eyed child on Christmas morning, looking for acceptance from his unloving father, Jeff Lynne promptly played Macca the piano part he came up with. McCartney's face turned red with rage. He then grabbed Jeff Lynne by the scruff of his neck and rammed his head into a Leslie Speaker cabinet 6 times while shouting, "I'M THE BEATLE! I'M THE BEATLE!" Jeff was heard mumbling, "It's cool, man. It's cool" thru the rotating horn.

I think it's time we all stepped outside and took a breathe of fresh air...

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thank you for posting the photo :thumbsup:

13. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation Thread Starter

I personally don't think Jeff would force himself on the record. He seems like a really humble fellow and was more than likely just happy to be there with the beatles.

I mean he even down-plays the fact that he co-wrote "Free Fallin'" with Petty by saying things like, "I contributed a few words to it... words like 'the'... 'a'...". Humble as pie. :)

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Regarding Jeff..I will say that his "Let It Shine " with the hooky descending 6 string bass line and Love & Mercy song (all BW)... are imo Brian Wilson"s 2 best songs that Mr Wilson has wrote (co-wrote)/recorded in close to 30 years.

A new ELO album please Jeff ..and world tour !

15. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Forgive me if this quote and link have already been posted.

This link claims that Jeff did indeed add a bit of vocal and guitar to "Free As A Bird." He may be understating his involvement in deference to The Beatles and his love for them. Jeff always struck me as a very modest guy and these quotes enforce that feeling for me.

http://www.face-the-music.de/beatle_e.html

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Loosen the snare on the snare drum.

17. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

That's why it seems odd to me that he would have even made any statement otherwise to anyone. Didn't McCartney state somewhere that the tag was Jeff's little playground area - I seem to remember Jeff getting most of the credit for it. It is very much a Lynne kind of thing.

PS I appologize for overreacting to Mr. Pugwash (and I told him as such in a PM). Seems we're mostly in violent agreement.

18. Thomas Pugwash

Don't be silly mark, no problem mate. :cheers:

Here's some more recent Jeff before this very valuable thread get's back to finding out more about our Jeff's sound.....!!

T.x

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Martin Lewis is the gentleman on the left above)

19. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Looks like Jeff spilled some of his meal on his shirt. :)

20. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Curses - soiled again.... :winkgrin:

21. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Actually Jeff looks kind of creepy. Innes too. But its pretty sad when Joe Walsh looks the best. :D And Martin Lewis.... bah... please... for some reason that guy irritates me when I see him getting into these events.

22. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

Thanks Thomas for the great pics!

Nice to see Jeff and Joe together. Interesting - I know that Jeff is a huge Eagles fan but the last time I saw the two together was on a Ringo Starr video some years back. Jeff looks pretty much the same to me. The hat has now been around since at least 2002 and will soon be, along with the shades, another famous JL trademark!

23. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

It has come to my knowledge that Jeff Lynne and Joe Walsh are doing some recording together. It may be released as a new Joe Walsh solo album or something else. This is very interesting news since I'm a big fan of both artists!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.