How do I watch downloaded Amazon Prime video on my server?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dasacco, Jan 16, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member Thread Starter

I was given the That 70's Show Blu-Ray box set for Christmas, and I have ripped the Blu-Rays to watch them on my Kodi server.

Two episodes wouldn't copy from disc. I tried on two drives and it didn't work in either, so I figure the disc is bad.

No problem, Amazon offers individual episodes for purchase so I bought one of them to try it out and downloaded it. I located the file on my (Windows) PC and it's in mp4 format, but it won't play using anything but the Amazon Prime app.

I'd really like this on my server with all the other episodes - any idea how I can do that?

Thanks!

2. dasacco

Anybody?

3. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

If it is anything like iTunes/Apple, you can’t. The mp4 is encrypted and the app decodes it. With Apple, every person’s decryption key is unique, so that you can only play the files that you bought yourself, and you cannot play files that someone else bought.

Lost In The Flood and dasacco like this.
  4. dasacco

Thanks, I'm pretty sure that's what I'm up against, even though I purchased the episodes I needed.

I've got an email in to Mill Creek to see if I can get a replacement disk.

polchik likes this.
  5. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Yep, anything downloaded with Prime can only be watched on the Amazon app. I download stuff all the time, it's no different than downloading from Netflix or Disney+. Gotta use those apps to watch the shows I download from each service.

Lost In The Flood and dasacco like this.
  6. dasacco

I heard back from Mill Creek this morning and they are shipping me a replacement disk, so kudos to them!

MikeInFla and Jeff Edwards like this.
  7. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Can you actually download from Netflix? How is it done? Or you are just talking streaming? Thanks!

8. MikeInFla

If you have the Netflix or Disney+ app on your phone, iPad, tablet, etc there is an option to "download". I have it set to "smart download" so it only downloads when connected to wifi. It saves to the SD card (so not to eat up space). If I am binge watching something I will download 7-8 episodes (or whatever, if a movie). Then I watch them as time allows with downtime at work (lunch break, etc). It's great because it doesn't eat up your data like streaming does. Then when I get home for the evening it deletes what I watched and downloads more by itself (if I am watching a series).

This explains it:

Amazon Prime Video App and Disney+ are pretty much the same as well. Can download and watch later while offline. But a lot of stuff on Prime disappears before I have time to watch it or if I am in the middle of a series sometimes the show is no longer available (Twilight Zone! Disappeared in the middle of watching the series and it disappears from Netflix as well. Damn that Paramount+!!!).

Uglyversal likes this.
  9. Uglyversal

I didn't realize they allow downloads but I don't use my phone. I have to see if there is a new version of the app for the TV that allows it. Also I am in Australia where they might impose different rules. Thank you!

MikeInFla likes this.
  10. MikeInFla

I don't think you can download on a TV but who knows, I never tried. I just assumed it was for a phone or tablet. If you have a tablet that should work fine when connected to wifi using the latest app (if it's allowed down under, I dunno).

Uglyversal likes this.
  11. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

Downloading requires storage and I doubt your TV would have the tech to store the downloaded file.

12. Uglyversal

True, the TV has the option to connect a HHD but I think it's use is limited to record open air TV from the tuner. I haven't done it for ages but I used to play Netflix on the TV through the PC but I suppose if you must have the app there is not way to do with the PC either. It is not really a problem, if it was possible would have been nice but for my type of usage is not a must. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.