How do you like my stereo setup?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Twelvepitch, Dec 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twelvepitch

Twelvepitch Musician and analog enthusiast Thread Starter

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Hi all,
    Here’s my home stereo setup. Top to bottom: Akai M9 solid state cross-field reel-to-reel with 15 IPS capstan and pinch roller, Denon DP-15F automatic turntable with Shure Hi-Track cartridge, Pioneer VSX-49 receiver with Dolby Pro Logic surround sound. Speakers: Epos ELS-3. How do you like it? What would you recommend for me to add to it?
    Thanks,
    Ryan

Floyd Crazy and timind like this.
  2. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Replacing the AVR with a real nice integrated amp or separates will take your rig way up the ladder.

3. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

I like it. Do you use a subwoofer with it? AVRs are interesting in that you have built-in subwoofer management. How do you like the Akai RTR? I have a GX-266II that I picked up recently. I found that it records really well with Scotch 207 tapes.

Twelvepitch likes this.
  4. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Hard to answer, better question is what if anything do you feel you are lacking? I like Epos speakers, that is one area that with an upgrade usually pays off well. Also agree to look for an integrated amplifier, keep the AVR and build a HT setup with it....Great R2R, I enjoy my R2R deck also.

Twelvepitch likes this.
  5. Twelvepitch

I love the Akai M9, and those glass head decks like yours are just absolutely superb. My M9 Sounds excellent. It’s a one motor deck, and has a bit of flutter, but the sound is impeccable. I see you live in Madison, Alabama. I have many relatives that live in the Huntsville/Madison area.
    Ryan

The Dragon likes this.
  6. Twelvepitch

I’ll get a good tube integrated amp to go along with it. Maybe that’ll step it up a notch or two.
    Ryan

Strat-Mangler and F1nut like this.
  7. Twelvepitch

I’m going to find a good tube integrated amp to pair with the Pioneer, that should make the sound step up several notches. I think I’m missing a good CD player. What reel-to-reel deck do you have?
    Ryan

8. Catcher10

I have a Teac X2000R......It cannot do 15ips. It’s ok makes 10.5” reels play longer.

Twelvepitch likes this.
  9. Twelvepitch

That is one of the most awesome decks ever made!! I almost bought one from a fellow near me, but didn't because the complex servo mechanisms were failing on it. I have a TEAC A3340S 4 channel 15 IPS deck in my studio and the Akai M9 in my home stereo.
    Ryan

timind likes this.
  10. Catcher10

I've had it for about 10yrs now and it works flawlessly, I need to take it to a tech for maintenance as I don't have certain tools for calibration like a tentalometer. REC channels need to be calibrated also and a good once over, there is a tech near Vancouver BC does excellent work.
    The motors are super quiet so those are doing really well, I only put about 7-8 hrs a month on it that's high avg. It makes excellent dubs of my records.....

[​IMG]

11. Twelvepitch

Oh, you're talking about Curt Palme? Yes, he does excellent work on these decks. Maybe Sam Palermo at Skywave Tape Deck in Bensenville Illinois can help you as well. My M9 is easy to calibrate, it has "record level" trims (other than the input levels themselves,) and the trims are used to adjust recording levels so they can be equal to record an playback on each formulation of tape you record.
    Ryan

12. Catcher10

Yes Curt.....Sam has helped me do a lot of DIY but not interested in boxing it up and sending to Chicago. I can drive the unit to Curt....

Twelvepitch likes this.
  13. Javed Jafri

Javed Jafri Forum Resident

I saw a you tube DIY clip about reel to reels where the user states that glass heads destroy tapes and I found that comment to to be inconsistent with my experiences. The problem of tape destruction seems to reside with the tape itself and the sticky ones from the late 1970's are the worst culprits. The sound of glass heads can be debated but they are not tape destroyers in my experience.

Twelvepitch likes this.
  14. SFCable

SFCable Active Member

Here below define several ways to setup:
    1.Integrated vs pre/power
    2.System matching
    3.Placement
    4.Connections for Cables
    5.Upgrades

Twelvepitch likes this.
  15. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

Maybe upgrade your TT first, maybe a nice vintage Pioneer PL50L/Denon 59L etc. Then as others have said, integrated amp next. I just added a vintage Sansui integrated AU9900 for vinyl only and it made a huge upgrade over my Marantz AVR.

Twelvepitch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.