How do you listen to mono?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Runt, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runt

Runt Senior Member Thread Starter

I apologize if this sounds...well, rather stupid! But, as mono was designed for just one speaker, how exactly should one listen to mono vinyl and/or CDs? Do you guys put it through both of your stereo speakers? Or just one speaker? Do you ever use headphones?

I guess, to sum it up in one single question...what's the best way to listen to mono?:confused:

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This very thread happend a few weeks ago. I can't seem to find it.

3. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

The "Why Mono?" thread?

Bob :confused:

4. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

With an open mind! :)

Seriously, I'm no buff, but I find some mono records just great on earphones. Especially if its something with not too much excess instrumentation, and each instrument is well defined.

5. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I listen to mono as a phantom center channel image between my 2 speakers.

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

How to listen to mono:

VERY LOUD!!!

Actually, I do the same as Doug - the phantom center between the two channels.

7. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

8. Rider

Rider Forum Resident

If possible no headphones at all - be it mono or stereo.

It's funny you ask this question because I was thinking about the same thing a few days ago. I guess that as a result of laziness :winkgrin: most people will rather listen to a phantom source resulting from the same signal coming from two loudspeakers than setting up one speaker in an adequate listening position every time they put on a mono record. ;) Listening to my new Elvis '56 DSD remaster a few days ago I finally decided to try it over one speaker. It's cool somehow and you don't have to be in that stereo spot, too ... It's just like a "normal" everyday sound source.

9. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

I use my ears! ;)

Sorry, couldn't stop myself.

10. Runt

When you say "over one speaker," did you simply turn the balance all the way over to one side?

11. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

I listen to mono tracks and CDs over my stereo speakers. But I'm gonna try disconnecting one speaker next time I play a mono CD, just to see what it's like.

12. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I always use a mono recording to help me find the right distance for my speakers to be apart (and the right angle to be rotated to). Once I've pretty much got the phasey effect that happens when you move around the room down to a minimum and the fullest sound possible when standing in multiple positions in the room I find that everything sounds better, be it stereo or mono.

13. Rider

Rider Forum Resident

Yes, that's right.

14. brstp

brstp Active Member

Even though it is called mono, the idea that music used to come out of one speaker had never even crossed my mind...it all makes sense now. :laugh: I'll give Pet Sounds a shot when I get back to my dorm room.

15. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

I've found that listening to mono via headphones can be fatiguing. Okay for a little while before it just starts to give me a headache, with the sound thumping in the middle of my head. I've also found that the better the headphones you have, the less fatiguing it is. Still, though, I try to avoid it.

16. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I usually put cotton wool in one ear and it usually does the trick! Saves having to disconnect one of the speakers!
    JG

17. Runt

Thanks, everybody, for the great input and advice!

18. jsrstereo

jsrstereo Forum Resident

One ear at a time------

19. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

What he said!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

20. MerlinMacuser

MerlinMacuser New Member In Memoriam

While thinking I'm back in 1965...
    With my Silvertone HiFi...
    With one ear tied behind my back.... ;)

sorry, couldn't help myself either.

21. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

The only thing I'll do, when I listen to a mono record, is, put the mono button in on my pre-amp. Now, a mono CD is different.

22. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Center channel.
    My A/V center channel consist of a pair on Linaeum Tower speakers, properly place to create the infamous phantom center channel image.

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Mono is great for background listening...not missing the separation.:)

24. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

I never really enjoyed MONO too much unless the stereo counterpart is crap or just plain doesn't exsist. Otherwise, I like to make use of my two speakers.

25. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

There is a full deep sound stage to mono, when in the sweet spot, that I really enjoy!
    Mono makes a beautiful phantom center, out of two properly position speakers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.