How do you listen to your digital files in your stereo?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pizza, Dec 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chazz

Chazz Music Addict

Audirvana Plus on Macbook Pro - usb out to PS Audio DSD dac to PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP tube integrated amp. All my music files are stored on a 4tb external hard drive. Sounds great to me!

2. padreken

padreken Senior Member

All my CD's have been ripped into either AIFF or ALAC files and I play them back on an Elac Discovery music server. The few SACD and DVD-A titles I have are played on an Oppo BDP-103. Haven't played a physical CD in over a year.

3. trd

trd Forum Resident

4TB external drive with flac files > usb 3.0 > oppo 205

No fuss, no muss

4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I play thru my Surface Pro with usb hub hooked to a usb soundcard with optical out into the dac and external usb hard drive for music files.

I use only FLAC files and Windows 10.

5. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I agree with you but you are describing the computer running as a server to stream the music, i have a server running 24/7 in my basement and streaming music to logitech squeezebox, subsonic and upnp, inside and outside the house.

I was talking about using the computer as the playback device, i cannot see myself having a computer switched on 24/7 in my living room.

6. Mp3/Wav External Harddrive...via Win 10 Desktop...to Audiocast which is connected to one of the Aux out on my Marantz Home Cinema Receiver.
    Home Wi Fi via Airplay.
    Surprised at how good this sounds.....and cheap!!!!

7. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Portable hard drive with all rips (FLAC and DSF) attached to my Oppo 103D. Both my Oppo and Yamaha amp can act as media renderers, and the Yamaha supports Airplay, but if I know what I want to listen to it's easiest just to get it on the hard drive using the Oppo iOS app to control things.

In the study, my PC drives either my B&W MM-1 desktop speakers or Oppo HA2 headphone amp using Foobar as the player.

8. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Synology NAS into a Sonos Connect, feeding a Rega Dac-R or for high res the NAS goes into a Rasberry Pi3 with a Hifiberry Digi+ ‘hat’ controlled using RuneAudio via an iPad, which again feeds into the Rega Dac-R.

AmosM likes this.
  9. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Keep them on a portable hard drive.
    Connected to USB3 on desktop
    Double click on music file thereby invoking Foobar2000
    USB lead to DAC / volume control
    DAC to stereo power amplifier
    power amplifier to speakers.

10. I must admit I'm intrigued by perhaps adding a DAC...but the choices out there are bewildering for someone relatively new to this type of set up.

11. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

MacBook Pro w/Pure Music >Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC>AQ Jitterbug> Aux.input of Yamaha AV Receiver. Music ripped lossless with ALAC.

12. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Audioquest Dragonfly reasonably inexpensive works great.

Yam Graham likes this.
  13. Yes...this one seems to be a decent choice.
    I don't really want to spend much...so am limited.

Ed Hughes likes this.
  14. HankM

HankM Senior Member

Bluesound Node 2 with Roon

15. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

One I stored my music on the NAS and configured the JRiver Media center, I can listen to my music pretty much everywhere and on any device or setup I have at home, outside and in the car.

16. NickC4555

NickC4555 Well-Known Member

MediaMonkey/Windows 10/NUC (+ MediaMonkey Remote on Android tablet) -> USB-ISO USB isolator -> Audiolab M-DAC Plus -> Naim NAC62 pre -> Naim NAP140 power -> Dali Rubicon 6

17. Bronica S2A

Bronica S2A Forum Resident

Apple Mac Mini using apple lossless and BitPerfect usb out to a Musical Fidelity V-DAC MKII thru a Belkin Gold USB interconnect to a Rotel RA-1062 integrated amp to a pair of Polk RTi4's. The V-DAC cost $130 used, the Rotel cost around $350 used, the speakers cost $100 used.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  18. nightshrill

nightshrill Well-Known Member

At home: Win 10 box running MusicBee -> connected via USB directly to FiiO K5 amp w/FiiO E17K ALPEN USB DAC docked into it -> either Sennheiser HD 280 Pros OR Audioengine A5+'s

In the car: iPhone 6s using apple's music app with iTunes Match turned on so everything is 256kbps with my carplay dash unit

19. nightshrill

nightshrill Well-Known Member

How do you like the HAP-S1? I've been considering using it as a replacement for my PC setup for digital files.

20. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

I really do enjoy it quite a bit. I did have to send it in for a repair, since the screen goes out on some of them, but they fixed it for free.

I love being able to browse my lossless collection on my phone or tablet, and it sounds very good, in my opinion. I was able to find mine slightly used on eBay for $500-600, which made it a no-brainier.

21. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

I'm a simpleton - use my itunes or spotify via sonos connected to a DAC connected to my vintage McIntosh

22. NoDad

NoDad Forum Resident

A small computer in my office running Logitech Media Server. Hardwired to a Logitech Touch in the livingroom and wireless to a Logitech Duet in the kitchen. All FLAC files, ripped from old LPs, cassette tapes and CDs. Plus a (very) few downloads.

In the office, where I don't listen to music that often, I just use Foobar 2000 through cheap computer speakers.

In the car - a 128GB USB drive with FLAC files.

JackG likes this.
  23. schnulli

schnulli Forum Resident

Logitech squeezebox. My home server (Windows server) streams via WLAN, controlled by the iPeng app.

JackG and rogertheshrubber like this.
  24. NoDad

NoDad Forum Resident

Interesting to see there are still a lot of Squeezeboxes around. Logitech dropped the ball discontinuing them.

25. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I dedicate a 10 years old Sony Vaio laptop only for audio. I rip CDs to FLAC in my MacBook or in my iMac both using XLD, transfer the files to a Samsung external HD, plug the HD to the Vaio and play files with VLC. From the Vaio, it goes through USB to a Schiit Mobi DAC and from it through RCA to my Denon AVR-3200 integrated (to which I always plug my analog system) and then to the B&W CDM-1 speakers. Sounds very good. Nothing is wireless.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Mr. Explorer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.