How do you listen to your digital files in your stereo?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pizza, Dec 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I'm having a lot of trouble with my HP laptop (Windows 10) and JRiver MC22 into the DAC in my Esoteric SACD player (It freezes, drops the driver...you name it), so I'm just plugging my external drive into my Oppo 105's USB input. I plan to get a new drive that has a standard USB output (My current one only accepts the type of cable with a small notch in it and a Type A on the other end) so I can use my USB type A-B cable and plug into the Oppo's DAC audio input. The next upgrade will be an Oppo 205. The only downside to using the Oppo is I need to turn on my TV in order to navigate around the drive, but it is nice to be able to see the track that is playing as well as have remote control.

2. Dane Argentini

Dane Argentini Forum Resident

Mac Mini-->Audirvana--> USB to Audioquest Jitterbug-->DAC-->HiFi

3. Graham 12" Remix

Graham 12" Remix Graham Sylvian, Graham Gedge or Graham from Felt

Naim unitiserve to Naim Superuniti
    Expensive but utterly lovely. For years I had a NAS and Squeezeboxes, which were better than everything I tested until I got to this price range: going from a Duet to one of the Cyrus streamers would have been madness.

Shiver likes this.
  4. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

An external hard drive through my Oppo player. I spent the last year ripping most of my collection (both CDs and LPs) and am now having a blast listening using shuffle or playlists from throughout my collection. This new approach has brought back the thrill of rediscovery for me, which I think I needed.

Dr. Winston Ramone and DPC like this.
  5. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Don’t think that will work. A computer can drive the DAC USB input, but not a hard drive. Like you, I use a hard drive into one of the rear USB inputs on my 103D and either navigate the music on screen or using the Oppo Media Control app. Works well, and will be using the internal DAC.

6. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Yeah, I just got back from Best Buy empty handed! I guess I'm stuck with my laptop if I want to access the DAC audio input. Is there a difference in sound between that input and the standard USB 2 or USB 3 input?

7. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I do it four ways:
    1. NAS > desktop computer with JRiver > Lynx Hilo DAC > power amp and speakers
    2. NAS > Auralic Aries (controlled by BubbleUPnP on tablet) > Classe CP-800 DAC-preamp > power amp and speakers
    3. NAS > Volumio running on Raspberry Pi 3 > Audioengine A5+ powered speakers
    4. NAS > LG V20 (phone) with BubbleUPnP > Shure SR840 cans
    Method #4 is when I'm pedaling on the exercise bike.
    One of the nice features of file-based audio is playing back the same files in multiple locations.

Dr. Winston Ramone and timind like this.
  8. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I have been sending two channel files to my Pioneer Elite SACD player over LAN using UPnP protocol. jRiver and Foobar front ends. My formally analog only rig is breathing some new life.

9. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Aurender N10 -> Devialet 200

art likes this.
  10. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

You can download the Oppo Media Control App to your phone/tablet and access your hard drive directly through that. No need to have the tv on while listening to music, I do this so I don't have to fire up my projector and burn through bulb after bulb.

You can still use the actual remote for pause, ff/rew, skipping tracks, etc. The app also has a virtual remote that you can use but I find it a bit odd as I like the tactile feel of real buttons.

Bachtoven and Sevoflurane like this.
  11. Ricardo Cosinaro

Ricardo Cosinaro Forum Resident

NAS -> Win2008 server -> JRiver MC23 -> MicroRendu -> Audioquest Jitterbug -> Ayre QB9 DAC -> Audio Research Ref5SE -> Ayre VX-R -> Vandersteen 5A -> my ears :)

12. mp29k

mp29k Forum Resident

MyRo Air dac. Airplay from a repurposed cell phone. I know it is only 16/44.1, but still sounds great. I also have a Rune Audio server setup on a beaglebone black that is not in use currently. Need a standalone DAC. I use apple music app, plex, and mytuner radio app.

Dr. Winston Ramone likes this.
  13. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Thanks. Could that app also control my laptop?

14. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Currently using at home Cowon P1 with 500g of lossless files to aux Input to McIntosh C41Preamp to MC275 Amplifier
    In the Car using Cowon P1 with 500g of lossless files to analog Aux Input Fujitsu-Ten Eclipse Head Unit with Balanced Outs to Eclipse Amplifier
    Very Pleased with the playback.
    Combination works well with Teac SLD 930 Clock Radio Aux Input for Bedroom
    and JVC RV-NB70B Boom Box Aux Input for the Garage

JeffMo likes this.
  15. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I use a thumb drive connected to my Oppo Blu-ray player.

In my car I have an external hard drive.

With both I use a free Microsoft program called SyncToy to update files so I'm not re-copying everything all the time.

Question for anyone playng back files thru their Oppo. Occassionally, when playing back digital files from a thumb drive, by the time the song gets to the end, the noise level has gotten kind of loud (lots of hiss, like it's grown as the song plays). Anyone else run into this issue?

16. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

How are you getting the iPod Classic to output a digital signal?

17. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

The Oppo app can access anything that is in the player (disc) or connected to it (hard drives), or on your home network. As long as your laptop is connected to your network the Oppo app should see it and be able to play files (audio or video) from it.

The app doesn't have an elegant user interface but hey, it's free!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  18. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

When the Classic was still around, both Arcam and Cambridge Audio made docks that had digital outs on them. Additionally, equipment with a Made For iPod compatible USB in can be connected directly to an iPod / iPhone with the standard charging cable resulting in digital playback.

19. timind

timind phorum rezident

I use a Nuforce Icon Ido which attaches via the ipod connector. The ido has a built in dac which feeds its headphone amp or pre-amp out. It also has a SPDIF out which I use to get the digital signal to my dac.
    I can also use the ido to send the digital from my iphone or ipad. Just recently, I began using it with my iphone to listen to Amazon music through my main system. It's a pretty handy little unit.

Why not a pic:
    [​IMG]

Sevoflurane likes this.
  20. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Got it. Knew you'd need some Apple Certified digital thingamabob that wasn't mentioned before the Monarchy DIP. Thx.

timind likes this.
  21. timind

timind phorum rezident

I like the ido, as opposed to the devices that cradle the ipod, because it allows me easy access to the ipod controls, or whatever device I'm listening to.

22. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

The app can only control the Oppo player and, therefore, it cannot control any other device other than what the Oppo player can.

23. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I open the drawer, place an optical disc, close the door, and press "Play".

PhilBiker likes this.
  24. Projectman

Projectman Forum Resident

I’m using a Lumin S1 Streamer/DAC with files stored on a Lumin L1 NAS (just got it today!), or the PS Audio Directstream w/Bridge II streaming from Synology NAS or via I2S from Directstream Memory Player.

25. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

LOL that's what I do most of the time as well. Just much easier to select something IME when I can go to a physical shelf.

However, I do also play digital files.

The files are stored on the desktop PC in my office, and they are also on a hard disk attached via USB to my router. The router serves up the content as DLNA. In my office I use Windows Media Player to play back the files through my E-Mu 1212m audio card to my Sony DA4ES receiver. I can play MP3, WAV, FLAC, pretty much anything. In my living room I'm limited to MP3 or WAV playing back on a Sony BDP-S590 connected to the network. I stream the songs from the DLNA server. In the basement the BDP-5100 can play FLAC as well, but that's a movie room not really a music listening room.

It is super nice to be able to have all my MP3s at my fingertips in multiple places in the house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.