How do you rate Paul McCartney's "Give My Regards To Broad Street" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Not very highly.

2. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

It was the last Macca new release I bought. I had limited finance & my musical horizons where expanding.

I still love Macca, though. I feel NMLN, was his last grade AAA release.

3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I went with "lower tier". I don't even include this as part of McCartney's main discography. No More Lonely Nights sounds like s soundtrack theme song.

4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

It has flaws, of course. But generally I like this album. Some interesting alternative versions of songs on it. And Gilmour's contribution is awesome.

BeatleStair and theMess like this.
  5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

An album I only own on cassette (and the film on DVD). It came out while I was spending a year abroad with tape players but no record player. Never saw a need to upgrade this one.

Keith V likes this.
  6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

You know there are longer versions of songs on the cd, right?

Edit: actually I know that's true vs the LP, not sure about the cassette. Although of course one bonus instrumental on original cd (+ remixes on '93 remaster).

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  7. Dream #9

Dream #9 Well-Known Member

The album is ok I still listen to it occasionally. Love the medley. Ringo - What medley? :)

8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I did not. I'm not saying there is no reason to upgrade. Just that I never felt compelled to do so. The only onw to thatnpoint I never got on LP, and the onlynone I never on CD. Probably having all the tunes on the DVD (as well as cassette) is a big part of the reason I never upgraded.

9. Dream #9

The change in Macca's voice at 1min 38 is brilliant. Think the clip is from the making of the Broad Street album. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong :)

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Guy Smiley likes this.
  10. Dream #9

So Bad wasn't on the album but it is on the CD. I have both.
    So Bad wasn't on the LP but it made the CD. I'm glad because I love the song.

Not the Broadstreet version but still worth a watch.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    mtvgeneration and Sammy Banderas like this.
  11. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

To me this was - and still is - one of the best McCartney's albums. Great new songs, great re-makes, cool vocals, cool cinematic sound production. LP version was the first I got aknowledged with and I was happy. Then came the CD version, which was even longer, and I was twice as happy. The movie appeared not that good as its soundtrack, but that didn't matter much to me. My imagination always pictures the perfect video companion when I listen to "Broad Street" album. So I have voted "Clearly one of his best works" and I mean that.

12. 905

905 Senior Member

I've changed my mind.
    Pretty solid...
    I wish there was catchy Mac & Jack song on it to be honest, but I'm now fond of Broad Street.

PaperbackBroadstreet likes this.
  13. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

You can't post that!!

Guy Smiley likes this.
  14. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Well, the film itself for one. There was maybe (maybe) a good story idea somewhere but it’s a terrilbe movie.

As for the soundtrack? I love “No More Lonely Nights.” Always have. “Not Such a Bad Boy” is good too. Just heard that the other day on The Beatles Channel. I should give “No Values” a listen too. Haven’t heard it in ages. Maybe I’ll add those original songs to a Paul playlist for my iPod!

The remade songs are entirely unnecessary. But I liked most of them fine. The ‘smooth jazz’ sax solo on “The Long and Winding Road” was, to me, far worse than anything Phil Spector did with the original recording. The rest are fine, I guess. 30+ years later, when I listen to Paul’s Tug of War (Which isn’t often) and “Ballroom Dancing” comes on I still shout out “Wave the sword!”

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  15. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I liked the songs I heard, but never heard the album

16. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Funny. I always though this was one of the most aptly titled songs in Paul’s catalogue. Far from the worst, but not good either.

17. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I like the new songs on it; the remakes I can live without.

It'll be interesting to see if / how this is treated as part of the Archive collection series. Packaging it with a Blu Ray of the movie is the obvious move, but it has to be one of the least regarded McCartney albums.

18. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I really, really like this album even if the tracks are mostly retreads. I rarely like remake tracks, but this album I still thoroughly enjoy. It's still one of my fav. Macca albums. And I'm glad Ringo was involved with it as well.

But the movie itself is just awful. o_O
    I can only watch the video parts itself, the rest of it quite forgettable.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  19. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I have the LD of this movie but haven't watched it in years. Actually, I think I only watched it the one time. It wasn't that bad as I recall.

The CD (on Columbia) is fine. I also haven't gone back to that one in years as well, but in all honesty I have almost every Beatles related CD, even the rare Ringo's and all, but I just never play them. Too burned out over the years on the stuff.

But back then I didn't mind the remakes, other than the fact that he basically copied Phil Spector's arrangement of LAWR. He had his chance here to include the second bridge spoken verse like he did on the "Kum Back" leaked Get Back sessions LP, but chose to follow what Phil did.

I think there are far worse and unlistenable Paul albums other than this one, Press to Play comes to mind.

20. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

I have a sentimental attachment to both the album and film. I was 13 years-old when it came out and was already an avid McCartney (and Beatles) fan. I wasn't looking for any big political statement or some earth-shattering album. He was Paul McCartney -- my hero. I was just happy to see him singing on the big screen because at that point I hadn't seen him live. My friend and I took a bus downtown on a cold, wintery October Saturday afternoon to see the film and I loved every minute of it. The next week I got my dad to drive me to my favorite record store to buy the cassette version of the album because it contained more material and longer versions than the LP (the CD even contained an additional song but at that point in time compact discs were as foreign to me as moon dust). Clearly the Beatles covers on the album are nowhere near as great as the originals from the 60's. I knew that even then, but I didn't care. Even "Silly Love Songs" didn't come close to the hit 1976 version. Yet, there was still "No More Lonely Nights" and two underrated rockers "Not Such A Bad Boy" and "No Values" which I still love to this very day. The version of "The Long And Winding Road" is also quite nice with some great saxophone played by Dick Morrisey. The whole thing takes me back to late 1984, still in junior high school and obsessed with all things Beatles, group and solo. And what's wrong with that? I need to know...

21. I think that the album reflects the film and is, generally, quite bad just and another step in the wrong direction that included "Pipes of Peace".

22. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I accept Broad street for what it is, a very good soundtrack album.

I don't hear anything that hurts the songs, and I hear plenty that I really like, such as...

The Long And Winding Road - This is my absolute fave version of this song anywhere! McCartney's vocal is more soulful and the song is more romantic and jazzy smooth. I love the sax solo.
    Eleanor's Dream - Just love this lavish musical suite.
    No More Lonely Nights - Both versions are fantastic, and I love how McCartney shows off that he can take the very same song and totally perform it in two totally different ways, one very romantic, the other funky for the dance floor.
    So Bad - Love this, I know Smokey Robinson covered this for the Art Of McCartney album, but I wish he would redo it using his band giving it his own style and flavor.
    Not Such A Bad Boy - This song rocks! It's yet another that McCartney should be performing live, he has so many!

Yeah, I have absolutely no problem with Broad Street.

23. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Solid and worth recommending.

905 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.