How Do You Rate The Doors?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Exceptional, no other band like them. Morrison is probably the best lead singer ever to front a band.

2. phish

phish Jack Your Body

They were a great band for their time, but their music sounds old and dated to me now.

3. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I try not to think about them too much as I almost died as a teen with The End playing in a loop for hours and I was too weak/sick to get up and turn it off. The only song of theirs that I long to hear every once in awhile is Riders On The Storm,a masterpiece of moody production.

4. tnic73

tnic73 Well-Known Member

I have always thought the Doors were one of the rare groups that are at the same time both over rated and under rated.

Mackaveli and YardByrd like this.
  5. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Went with "great" but closer to "exceptional" than "good."

I love their debut but the other 5 Morrison studio are all very good. Even though they didn't last all that long, not many longer lasting groups had such a great run of albums.

6. SincerelyLCohen

SincerelyLCohen Active Member

i never heard the doors when i listen to eatb. I think the thing that has always made eatb truly unique is Will Sargeant's taste in music is different from Ian's.

Hermes and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  7. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Love The Doors! Firstly because of Morrison. Not necessarily his lyrics but because he had one of the greatest voices in Rock ever. Secondly because of the guitar. Love Krieger's lines and style. Very unique and varied. And thirdly because of the songs. All over the place stylistically.

Incidentally, my favorite album is The Soft Parade.

8. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Absolutely exceptional. They had an x-factor unlike any other band. Jim's over-the-top pretentiousness was part of his magic.

9. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

. . . when 45.9% of members of this "audio" forum don't hear the bass !

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  10. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Better than the option "Good, but not amazing" but not quite the option above it. Jim Morrison had one of the best voices in rock. They had a unique sound and some great songs. Morrison Hotel is my favorite Doors album. Absolutely Live is another favorite.

Mackaveli likes this.
  11. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I forgot to add the word 'not' after '3 members could', as obviously none of them were able to replace Jim as the Lead Singer.

12. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Hot garbage, immensely over-rated and/or personally hate them

13. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Exceptional.

Sear, Brian Lux and YardByrd like this.
  14. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

When they are good they are very very good but when they are bad they are horrid. I wish they'd moved away from the blues and Jim had expanded his melody lines a bit more but in their brief time together they managed at least 3 classic LPs (imo -The Doors, Strange Days, Morrison Hotel) and though Jimbo and the chaps do get pretentious on several occasions, I personally think that Celebration Of The Lizard on Absolutely Live is a seriously brilliant piece of work / performance.
    The individual musicians get over-shadowed somewhat by Jim but there weren't too many bands who had players of the talent of Robby, Ray and John.
    Yeah, I like 'em, sometimes I love them. I'll go , great band, I'm a big fan and recommend The Crystal Ship.

TheSeldomSeenKid and YardByrd like this.
  15. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

They really broke on though.....

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Not as high as i used to.
    I bought Morrison Hotel & L.A. Woman real time, cutting edge stuff.. These days, prefer Love.

Lightworker likes this.
  17. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Its a great version. And I love X and saw them quite a few times in their peak years. Much as I love their harmonies, nobody in that band sang as well as Morrison did, even on a bad hair day.

Mechanical Man and YardByrd like this.
  18. Lightworker

Oddly enough, I never tire of "The Soft Parade" album this century. It hits the 'sweet spot' between late 60s lounge and Sunset Strip hip even more than Arthur Lee's 'Mathis' warble (great as it was).

[​IMG]

Mechanical Man and Dodoz like this.
  19. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Well, they had a couple of nice session bass players on record :D

All kidding aside, I absolutely love the Doors.

20. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Nico's version of "The End" is so dark, it makes the Doors original sound like the Brady Bunch theme song in comparison. :cool:

Lightworker and Rfreeman like this.
  21. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

This version of "Light My Fire" is for you then. Jim was totally wasted that night, and as Robbie put it, "felt no pain".
    16:15 was the type of moment that really embarrassed John Densmore at the time...
    Listen for Ray trying to back up as much as he can.

Lightworker likes this.
  22. Lightworker

Jimbo's version was the soundtrack to my sixteen-year-old broken heart. Nico's take wasn't out yet (and I actually do not have suicidal tendencies).

23. Lightworker

Rock & roll gold! I love music that make me smile (and laugh...)

YardByrd and Dodoz like this.
  24. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I like how they were a rock n' roll band in that they were very hit or miss depending on the performance...Unpredictable, and (a bit like the Stones) able to be tight or sublimely shaky or completely lacking inspiration/going through the motions. Going to a Doors show, you never knew what you were going to get, I think. They also never used a setlist apparently, which makes the dynamic of their shows different from one another. This song is from a pretty uninspired show, but it's a gem - only performed and recorded live a couple of times, and never in the studio...I love this song.

Yes. I am more of a psychedelic/pop fan of the Doors than a fan of their blues/rock era of the last two albums. On "Morrison Hotel", I prefer "Waiting for the Sun" over "Roadhouse Blues", for instance...I enjoy their blues side too, but it's not what I prefer from them.
    Blues is what Jim preferred though, he talked about it in interview. And they were apparently going into that territory ("Other Voices", the first album post-Morrison, is also quite bluesy).

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  25. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Not really. I used to like the Doors when I was younger, well, never was really huge on them but I really liked their hits and I thought Morrison was unbelievably handsome. But earlier this year I decided to revisit the bands I used to like when I was 13 and The Doors didn’t pass the audition. Just then I realized how stupid Jim Morrison’s lyrics were. Just pretentious. Plus, seeing his live performances makes me cringe. And I never thought they were a good live band. Their studio recordings sound much better than the live versions. Morrison was still singing about indians in 1970. Just pathetic. Besides their debut, I found their other records to be a slog, incredibly boring, expectedly pretentious, simply hot garbage.

Personally, the Bores...I mean, The Doors haven’t aged well for me.

PS: I tried to get into the doors again by listening to An American Prayer. What a mistake! That’s the definition of trash.

Btw I like light my fire! Good, catchy pop song!

To each, his own :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.