How faith and tragedy shaped Natalie Bergman’s (half of Wild Belle) new solo LP "Mercy"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, May 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

1 Talk To The Lord
    2 Shine Your Light On Me
    3 I Will Praise You
    4 I’m Going Home
    5 Home At Last
    6 You Make My World Go Round
    7 Paint The Rain
    8 The Gallows
    9 Your Love Is My Shelter
    10 He Will Lift You Up Higher
    11 Sweet Mary
    12 Last Farewell

Natalie Bergman announces the release of Mercy, her debut solo album out May 7 on Third Man Records. Self-produced, performed and mixed in near-solitude, the twelve-song set takes a spellbinding step into Bergman’s singular world of sound, spirituality and the search for hope during tragic times. The journey began in October 2019; until then, she had been on tour since the age of 14. She spent the better part of the past decade singing lead alongside her brother Elliot Bergman in their duo Wild Belle, but the night she was about to hit the stage at Radio City Music Hall, her life changed. A coroner called with news that their father and stepmother had been killed by a drunk driver.

Music and faith have always been at the forefront of the Bergman family, and rather than crawl into a cave of darkness and dread, Natalie decided to spend many days in silence at a monastery in the Chama Valley. It was there she learned she would embark on Mercy, and as she began writing and recording, the collection of songs channeled her cathartic reverence for traditional gospel music - in her words, the true source of rock and roll.

Throughout her years in Wild Belle, the LA-based, Chicago-bred Natalie Bergman has collaborated with the likes of Elvis Costello, Major Lazer and Tom Tom Club, opened for Beck, Cage The Elephant and Toro y Moi, played Coachella, The Tonight Show and more. On Mercy, her sweeping spectrum of creativity is finally on full display, from the three-dimensional artwork seen in “Talk To The Lord,” to her striking sense of style and the best songs she says she’s ever written.

Mercy marks the first newly recorded gospel album to be released by Third Man Records. Helmed by Bergman’s heavenly voice, the music is steeped in mystic melodies, time-bending tones of psychedelic rock, soul and a spiritual healing that’s much-needed in the wake of 2020. Mercy was mastered by Warren Defever of His Name Is Alive, additional production comes from Elliot Bergman and Erik Hall, and vocal contributions include Elsa Harris and the Larry Landfair Singers, who Natalie sang with at her father’s funeral.

How Faith And Tragedy Shaped Natalie Bergman's New Solo LP - American Songwriter

The album was released earlier this month on Third Man Records, and it's quite good. The spiritual nature of the album may make some uncomfortable, but it's definitely worth a listen for fans of her band, Wild Belle (even if the sound is completely different from their work).

Natalie has released five preview tracks since last December.

This was the first one:

B. Bu Po and tug_of_war like this.
  2. pghmusiclover

This was the second song released this past January:

For anyone interested, Rough Trade has a blue vinyl version with a different cover, that I like much better.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  3. pghmusiclover

Third song from February:

B. Bu Po likes this.
  4. pghmusiclover

5. pghmusiclover

and here's the latest song and video:

6. pghmusiclover

I thought maybe there would be another fan or two of Natalie and Wild Belle.

7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Just getting around to checking this out now on Tidal. Very unique voice…I like it and will probably buy the CD.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  8. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

That is one cool video.

9. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

I played "Shine Your Light On Me" on my radio show on Friday.

10. pghmusiclover

Happy to see a few others listening to this excellent artist and album!

11. pghmusiclover

Natalie has a new tune out with Beck;

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.